OT: Let's talk about Movies and TV Shows, Part XXX (...how can this possibly go wrong)

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
After watching Deutchsland 83 and 86, I understand more what's in the head of a communist secret agent and the secret services hierachy. Like what's happening in Ukraine, it doesn't surprise me that much. The soviet society create their sheme of thinking. They have their romantic heroes, etc. And they can be very basic anti-american for no reason.

Reactions: angusyoung

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Last thread was a tad over 1000 posts.

So let's start this a repost of my take on (...of all things) Wild Things. It's probably gonna age superbly.

-----

I just watched a great piece of art that I had somehow missed in my teen years.

Wild_things_%28movie_poster%29.jpg

This was ... not as "so bad it's good" as what I've been hinted; they clearly wanted to go full-sleaze and really nailed it. It's actually a decent movie and as far as I'm concerned nowhere near bad enough to warrant the "So bad it's good" tag. Denise Richards can't act but it's not why she's in the movie anyways. What's with that ridiculous blue 1-piece swimsuit anyways? (you can google it; I don't think I can post this)
This also has to be one of the most ridiculously and uselessly convoluted plot it ends up in borderline comedic territory, and you may probaly safely drop the "borderline".

It's totally trashy, it's totally a bad taste movie, but it's enjoyable.

I watched it within the last year or so but I can't remember it that well. From what I remember it's fun but not quite good enough to keep in my DVD collection.

A couple of movies that I watched in the past month or so that I am keeping are:

That Awkward Moment
Whip It
Saving Private Ryan
Date Night
Dodgeball
Perfume
The Last Waltz

They are all pretty entertaining movies, for me anyway...

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I watched it within the last year or so but I can't remember it that well. From what I remember it's fun but not quite good enough to keep in my DVD collection.

It sums it up pretty well. I wouldn't keep a physical DVD of it either. The sexiness factor was a big draw then, but it's really nothing special now (other than that 1-piece blue swimsuit) -- not to mention, I'm significantly more Team Neve Campbell than Team Denise Richards.

(The last line being a total "I'll take "Things I didn't expect to read on a hockey message board in 2022" for 1000$ Alex")

Last edited:
Reactions: Harry Kakalovich

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
It sums it up pretty well. I wouldn't keep a physical DVD of it either. The sexiness factor was a big draw then, but it's really nothing special now (other than that 1-piece blue swimsuit) -- not to mention, I'm significantly more Team Neve Campbell than Team Denise Richards.

(The last line being a total "I'll take "Things I didn't expect to read on a hockey message board in 2022" for 1000$ Alex")
Did you see One Night at McCool's? It's another Matt Dillon movie that I've watched in the past year, and I would say it's sort of on a similar level. Anyway, I've kind of blended the two movies together in my memory.

Barriwhite

Don’t be shocked by the tone of my voice
Nov 8, 2005
Montreal
Looking forward to The Batman. I’m a bit bummed that they’ve gone for PG-13 though. I know they have to let kids see it to move toys, but on the heels of The Joker, I thought Batsy would get a similar treatment.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I was really intrigued by Euphoria season 1. Definitely different than anything else out there. Season 2, while I still enjoyed it, really lost the realistic aspect of the show.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
We got a dvd version that was questionably obtained and from suspect origin. No spoiler alert but if I were to make a sequel, I'd call it ''death by boredom'':boredom:

upload_2022-3-4_13-2-43.jpeg

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Further to a recommendation of @ peate and Miley Cyrus, I've gone back and continued watching Get Smart. I'm doing it more out of nostalgia and never having seen the episodes in the sequence they were intended.

The jokes are extremely stale and fall flat most of the time. However, there have been some interesting tid-bits, with several celebrities making cameos. Just saw a second episode where Johnny Carson played a minor role (first he was a train ticket taker and in the second he was a subject to a prince of some sort). Don Rickles on the other hand, had a major role for two episodes playing Smart's old army buddy. Just saw an episode near the end of the third season featuring comedian John Byner.

The most annoying part has to be that show theme at the beginning and end of every episode, it's annoying.

Still worth getting through so thank-you Peate/Miley!

66th4g.jpg

Been a while since I watched Smart from 1st to last,but it was fine at the beginning but started to wear on especially after the baby,babies? came.
Many shows from days gone by just don't have the same appeal as they did then, especially if you try binging them. Gilligans island for one and Happy days,Batman,3's company and some MASH episodes have some pretty corny lines.

Do like the Peate Miley combo,reminds me of Bob Marley and think they may have something in common too.;):cool:

Reactions: Runner77

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
After watching Deutchsland 83 and 86, I understand more what's in the head of a communist secret agent and the secret services hierachy. Like what's happening in Ukraine, it doesn't surprise me that much. The soviet society create their sheme of thinking. They have their romantic heroes, etc. And they can be very basic anti-american for no reason.

What happened to Steve?

It's always enlightening when engaged with people that have a very different mentality. Having been exposed over the years to actual Nazis and getting their perspective is eyeopening to say the least. I shan't say too much, but spending time with the mrs family in japan that were involved during ww2 and their thoughts and opinions about how things have unfolded and transpired have trickled down to some nowadays as well.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
What happened to Steve?

It's always enlightening when engaged with people that have a very different mentality. Having been exposed over the years to actual Nazis and getting their perspective is eyeopening to say the least. I shan't say too much, but spending time with the mrs family in japan that were involved during ww2 and their thoughts and opinions about how things have unfolded and transpired have trickled down to some nowadays as well.
A country who have been in war doesn't live after that without scratches. The whole people are injured, it takes two generation to erase the trauma of a war.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham

You can say that about Americans as well. They always seem to need an enemy. Remember the "Freedom Fries" when they hated the French? lol

We got a dvd version that was questionably obtained and from suspect origin. No spoiler alert but if I were to make a sequel, I'd call it ''death by boredom'':boredom:

View attachment 512412

I always gravitate to these old school who-done-it but even the first one was kind of bland to me.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
You can say that about Americans as well. They always seem to need an enemy. Remember the "Freedom Fries" when they hated the French? lol

I always gravitate to these old school who-done-it but even the first one was kind of bland to me.
That was in 2003 when french didn't want to invade Irak? What was supposed to be in Irak? Guess who was right after all? Americans are very narrow when they want. I remember watching the news in Florida and the only news from europe was when a train derail. Nothing about the election of a french president or italian or spanish, Nada, nothing. Only accidents or natural distaster. Their culture use foreign hate to get fueled, it changes each decenny, they use Marvel Comics to guide what youngs guys will think.

Reactions: Kimota

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Been a while since I watched Smart from 1st to last,but it was fine at the beginning but started to wear on especially after the baby,babies? came.
Many shows from days gone by just don't have the same appeal as they did then, especially if you try binging them. Gilligans island for one and Happy days,Batman,3's company and some MASH episodes have some pretty corny lines.

Do like the Peate Miley combo,reminds me of Bob Marley and think they may have something in common too.;):cool:
My brother has the DVD series, he's watched them all at least 4 times. He's recently widowed and just moved into a seniors residence. He found some fans and they've been watching it in the common tv room and getting great laughs. The staleness and repetition of the jokes is what makes it so good, and my brothers and sister and I used to follow along with the theme, each doing our own instrumental part. Mine was the scale up and down bass part. Loved the Sunbeam Tiger too. Mel Brooks was a comedic genius.

Gilligan, Happy days, 3's company. My God, you need help. Don't include M.A.S.H. in that bunch. That show, which didn't have a laugh track by the way, was a masterpiece.

I can think of one thing Marley, Miley and me have in common, :D:rolleyes::P

Speaking of which, I'm due.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
That was in 2003 when french didn't want to invade Irak? What was supposed to be in Irak? Guess who was right after all? Americans are very narrow when they want. I remember watching the news in Florida and the only news from europe was when a train derail. Nothing about the election of a french president or italian or spanish, Nada, nothing. Only accidents or natural distaster. Their culture use foreign hate to get fueled, it changes each decenny, they use Marvel Comics to guide what youngs guys will think.

Yea that's a sad thing, really. They have like 325 million people and they basically see a narrow point of view of the World cause of their news concentration. They keep the population dumb and ignorant. So weird.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Yea that's a sad thing, really. They have like 325 million people and they basically see a narrow point of view of the World cause of their news concentration. They keep the population dumb and ignorant. So weird.
But in every small town you can find a person well informed and who travelled different places. And some americans are from europe so they are not that dumb.

Reactions: Kimota

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
But in every small town you can find a person well informed and who travelled different places. And some americans are from europe so they are not that dumb.

Hopefully there are some that can help share the knowledge. Even over here it's not easy to get the whole picture of the World sometime. At least there's the internet. And in Quebec we sometime get the news from France. There was WWE wrestling event in Saudi Arabia and when I saw this on You Tube, I was shocked that people were normal and happy, they were pretty similar to us. lol

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
My brother has the DVD series, he's watched them all at least 4 times. He's recently widowed and just moved into a seniors residence. He found some fans and they've been watching it in the common tv room and getting great laughs. The staleness and repetition of the jokes is what makes it so good, and my brothers and sister and I used to follow along with the theme, each doing our own instrumental part. Mine was the scale up and down bass part. Loved the Sunbeam Tiger too. Mel Brooks was a comedic genius.

Gilligan, Happy days, 3's company. My God, you need help. Don't include M.A.S.H. in that bunch. That show, which didn't have a laugh track by the way, was a masterpiece.

I can think of one thing Marley, Miley and me have in common, :D:rolleyes::P

Speaking of which, I'm due.

I’m watching Get Smart further to a suggestion you made in a post from a while back. It has its moments.

The three that I remembered from long ago were “Himey kill the light”, the Chief saying to a gathering of Control agents acting irrationally, “I’ll forget what I just saw” and them resuming their childish behavior right after and the scene where the Chief was telling Max and 99 that they had to take extra precautions about the safe in the Chief’s office and how no one had been given the combination — and then Larabee walks into the office, opens the safe and retrieves his lunch.

I haven’t seen the Himey scene nor the Larabee one but am on S4, so should happen soon.

Last but not least, my condolences for your brother’s loss and yours as well. May she RIP.

Reactions: peate

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

That thing was ridiculous specially considering the french helped them get their independence and the french were actually right about invading Irak.

HotPie

Dec 3, 2007

If you're a fan of espionage/thriller shows, I suggest watching "Le Bureau des Legendes".

It's a french spy thriller about the DGSE. Honestly one of, if not the best show about espionage I've ever seen. You can watch/stream it on the tv5 Quebec website I think.

Super underrated show that not a lot of people know about for some reason (probably because streaming access is pretty limited).

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
I’m watching Get Smart further to a suggestion you made in a post from a while back. It has its moments.

The three that I remembered from long ago were “Himey kill the light”, the Chief saying to a gathering of Control agents acting irrationally, “I’ll forget what I just saw” and them resuming their childish behavior right after and the scene where the Chief was telling Max and 99 that they had to take extra precautions about the safe in the Chief’s office and how no one had been given the combination — and then Larabee walks into the office, opens the safe and retrieves his lunch.

I haven’t seen the Himey scene nor the Larabee one but am on S4, so should happen soon.

Last but not least, my condolences for your brother’s loss and yours as well. May she RIP.
Thank you Runner. The Hymie character wasn't the best, but he did have a great deadpan delivery. The Siegfried and KAOS ongoing struggle was great though.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
If you're a fan of espionage/thriller shows, I suggest watching "Le Bureau des Legendes".

It's a french spy thriller about the DGSE. Honestly one of, if not the best show about espionage I've ever seen. You can watch/stream it on the tv5 Quebec website I think.

Super underrated show that not a lot of people know about for some reason (probably because streaming access is pretty limited).
And VERY realistic. Probably the most realistic series of the genre.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Thank you Runner. The Hymie character wasn't the best, but he did have a great deadpan delivery. The Siegfried and KAOS ongoing struggle was great though.

You're welcome, peate. I was surprised to learn that Hymie only appeared in 6 episodes despite the show running 5 seasons. He was certainly memorable for someone who wasn't on much.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land

When the episode when Max plan to marry 99, another agent ask him very concerned "you know what the boss think when 2 secret agent get married? And Max answer " but she is a woman! "
That's from the original show probably around 1969. I had a delay of 5 seconds to understand the joke.

Last edited:

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham

France keep making good content as far as thrillers shows and detective shows. There was one I was watching for a whole summer and for whatever reasons I lost sight of it and don't remember the name. I don't know if there was another season or whatever. lol

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad