OT: Let's talk about Movies and TV Shows, Part XXX (...how can this possibly go wrong)

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I watched it until the A-380 tried to land. Some damn good pilots among the bunch; poor passengers though.

Yup! been on my share of scary flights,probably some of the scariest were in a Cessna landing in jungle terrain on short muddy runways during stormy weather:eek2: Probably still not as scary as friend was flying,looked out the window and saw an engine blow up and was engulfed in flames just after takeoff. He hasn't stopped drinking since:laugh:

Reactions: peate and Runner77

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Yup! been on my share of scary flights,probably some of the scariest were in a Cessna landing in jungle terrain on short muddy runways during stormy weather:eek2: Probably still not as scary as friend was flying,looked out the window and saw an engine blow up and was engulfed in flames just after takeoff. He hasn't stopped drinking since:laugh:
My scariest flight was the second one, leaving James bay back to Montreal. Evening flight, late October, snow storm. 3 engine jet. Sitting near the front aisle seat; they were dousing the plane with de-icer. With the pilots joking around. Then they left the cock pit door open and took-off. Going down the runway was complete white-out, loud and you couldn't tell if we took off, just kept getting whiter and louder. Then all of a sudden, the cloud layer was below us and the most beautiful full moon appeared against a black sky. Awesome but thrilling.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
My scariest flight was the second one, leaving James bay back to Montreal. Evening flight, late October, snow storm. 3 engine jet. Sitting near the front aisle seat; they were dousing the plane with de-icer. With the pilots joking around. Then they left the cock pit door open and took-off. Going down the runway was complete white-out, loud and you couldn't tell if we took off, just kept getting whiter and louder. Then all of a sudden, the cloud layer was below us and the most beautiful full moon appeared against a black sky. Awesome but thrilling.

And then they told you you had to return to your departure point.:eek::jk:

Guessing it was a First air op.:dunno:

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
Last thread was a tad over 1000 posts.

So let's start this a repost of my take on (...of all things) Wild Things. It's probably gonna age superbly.

-----

I just watched a great piece of art that I had somehow missed in my teen years.

Wild_things_%28movie_poster%29.jpg

This was ... not as "so bad it's good" as what I've been hinted; they clearly wanted to go full-sleaze and really nailed it. It's actually a decent movie and as far as I'm concerned nowhere near bad enough to warrant the "So bad it's good" tag. Denise Richards can't act but it's not why she's in the movie anyways. What's with that ridiculous blue 1-piece swimsuit anyways? (you can google it; I don't think I can post this)
This also has to be one of the most ridiculously and uselessly convoluted plot it ends up in borderline comedic territory, and you may probaly safely drop the "borderline".

It's totally trashy, it's totally a bad taste movie, but it's enjoyable.
Love this movie. So enjoyable to watch.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Thought that perhaps it was a First air flight and aircraft, or as some would call them.......... ''first scare'' not to be undone by another defunct Canadian airline called ''nation scare'':nod:
The first was a 737 Québecair up to James bay for a job, fine flight, and being served scotch at 7:30 in the morning I found odd. All you could see after Tremblant were lake after lake. And it was a lot colder when we landed. Coming back was the exciting part with the snowstorm. Nordair LT1011 I think it was. After a stop over in Quebec city, we raced along the 20 in 30 minutes. Landed in Dorval and it was summer again ( well mild fall)

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
The first was a 737 Québecair up to James bay for a job, fine flight, and being served scotch at 7:30 in the morning I found odd. All you could see after Tremblant were lake after lake. And it was a lot colder when we landed. Coming back was the exciting part with the snowstorm. Nordair LT1011 I think it was. After a stop over in Quebec city, we raced along the 20 in 30 minutes. Landed in Dorval and it was summer again ( well mild fall)

That's going back a while, hydro projects? Was a time on occasion I would mingle with some of the flight crews from those airlines,some did not abide by protocols more often then you'd want to know. They readily give booze as it keeps the predominantly men passengers more subdued. Hope you got a few opportunities to do some fishing and hunting if you're into it,great area for that.

Reactions: Runner77

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Oops. :) I'm sure there'll be many more experiences added for the both of ya yet. Probably make for good reading if in a book . :)

There were repercussions from time to time and in hindsight,some very foolish behavior:shakehead. But certainly looking forward to when things open up again and get back on the horse in a manner of speaking. If any memoirs do come to fruition,probably best done posthumously:nod:

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
I need to ask some of you tech guys a question. I have just installed a 5.2.2 ( top middle ) and yes I have netflix and have watched some of the Atmos movies. My question is, when it lists as an atmos movie I hear ALL my speakers ( good) but when it does not show the movie as ATMOS ( just dd+ ) still all my speakers work, including the top middle speakers. SO what the hell? is everything in ATMOS?

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
That's going back a while, hydro projects? Was a time on occasion I would mingle with some of the flight crews from those airlines,some did not abide by protocols more often then you'd want to know. They readily give booze as it keeps the predominantly men passengers more subdued. Hope you got a few opportunities to do some fishing and hunting if you're into it,great area for that.
Unfortunately, we were there to work only. The faster we finished, the more $$ we made. We had to assemble these metal racks for the workers to put their gear on when they came in for meals. The Union guys were a bit suspicious when we got got there. Who are these hippies with tools and what are they doing here. They were very happy when they saw what we were installing for them, but they gave us a hard time at first. Plus we had to pay full price for meals and beer. Luckily, the plane was free.

We did explore a bit, but they warned us of wolves and big cats.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
I need to ask some of you tech guys a question. I have just installed a 5.2.2 ( top middle ) and yes I have netflix and have watched some of the Atmos movies. My question is, when it lists as an atmos movie I hear ALL my speakers ( good) but when it does not show the movie as ATMOS ( just dd+ ) still all my speakers work, including the top middle speakers. SO what the hell? is everything in ATMOS?

Any surround sound signals will get upmixed by your Atmos system, so all speakers will be used.

One thing of note is the netflix app requires that the playback device be able to decode Atmos natively, pass through is not supported for some reason. If the playback device cannot handle Atmos on its own, you get upmixed 5.1 sound for everything, including proper Atmos contents.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Unfortunately, we were there to work only. The faster we finished, the more $$ we made. We had to assemble these metal racks for the workers to put their gear on when they came in for meals. The Union guys were a bit suspicious when we got got there. Who are these hippies with tools and what are they doing here. They were very happy when they saw what we were installing for them, but they gave us a hard time at first. Plus we had to pay full price for meals and beer. Luckily, the plane was free.

We did explore a bit, but they warned us of wolves and big cats.

I see, so not enough free time,shame but c'est la vie. A bit surprised you had to pay for meals, and the further north,the more it costs.Hippies eh? heard some good stories from some older friends that went to Woodstock,you go?

Big cats? you mean bears? Lynx and Bobcats are not dangerous to man,usually and very hard to find and not sure if pumas are around the bay,never heard stories from the indigenous about pumas anyways.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Watched inventing Anna. Was watchable, but I had hoped for more. 2-3 episodes in I was hoping for improvement so I kept watching, but it just never happened.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Goliath delivers. Have reached S4 now and it's been really immersive.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Goliath delivers. Have reached S4 now and it's been really immersive.
I loved season 1, but then season felt like a reset and I had trouble, it felt like it was starting over and I couldn’t get into it. I loved season 1, so I might have to try again.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I loved season 1, but then season felt like a reset and I had trouble, it felt like it was starting over and I couldn’t get into it. I loved season 1, so I might have to try again.

For some reason it just didn’t feel like a continuation of the first season to me. It felt like a whole new show and I didn’t have the energy to get reinvested. I dunno, maybe I didn’t wait long enough.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Further to a recommendation of @ peate and Miley Cyrus, I've gone back and continued watching Get Smart. I'm doing it more out of nostalgia and never having seen the episodes in the sequence they were intended.

The jokes are extremely stale and fall flat most of the time. However, there have been some interesting tid-bits, with several celebrities making cameos. Just saw a second episode where Johnny Carson played a minor role (first he was a train ticket taker and in the second he was a subject to a prince of some sort). Don Rickles on the other hand, had a major role for two episodes playing Smart's old army buddy. Just saw an episode near the end of the third season featuring comedian John Byner.

The most annoying part has to be that show theme at the beginning and end of every episode, it's annoying.

Still worth getting through so thank-you Peate/Miley!

66th4g.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: angusyoung

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad