Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... Part XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
I was married to one for 8 years, I was actually married a bit longer since I had a good health insurance (the idiocy of the US system) and kept her on my insurance for 4 more years until she got s decent job. We split after 8 years. She was definitely not a shy little rose that brought the slippers when I got home. I can understand why they kicked the US's arse!
Hhhmmmmm!
Vietnamese deep fried spring rolls:nod:

Reactions: groovejuice

Pickles

Apr 25, 2017
In the jar'o
Started to watch the 10 episodes series of The Vietnam War: A Film by Ken Burns and Lynn Novick.
Episodes are between 80 and 150 minutes. Very good footages and loaded with information. Make me want to visit Vietnam, their women are gorgeous.
Those Ken Burns documentary series are fantastic. I've been watching the Vietnam one as well. My favorite is the baseball one but there's been so many good ones like the Civil War series.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Interesting. I just finished watching Death Wish.
It was good to see Bruce Willis back to action. Not the most brilliant or unique script but very well executed. A few of those scenes were brutal

Bro, seriously? I thought that was horrible.

Maybe I'm more critical cause I watched the original Death Wish with Bronson two years ago(cause I knew they were gonna do a remake). But the Willis remake absolutely offered nothing new and it was far less gritty and realistic than the original. I felt nothing for the Willis character. This was a typical safe Hollywood remake. Sure it's fine for a rental but I was left with a bad taste in my mouth. Like they took the original and cuts its balls. Even what happens to the main character is not that bad, it even pulls back on things that could have been much harsher to his family. Compare it to what happens in the original where his wife and daughter are beaten and raped and one of them dies where the criminals are just a bunch horrible maniacs. Here it's a robbery gone wrong and the guys are not that bad. At one point he is supposed to go on his revenge path and I was like meh, I don't care, the guy might as well go into a bar and drink a beer and forget the whole thing. They could at least have done something interesting with the brother saying it was all his fault that this happened. But nope.

It's even more maddening in retrospect since Joe "Narc/The Grey" Carnahan had planned from I heard an amazing remake. But the studio wanted something safer with an action star, etc...

Watched The Nice Guys. Expected it to be a piece of ****, but man, that was really fun and enjoyable.

Of course, it's Shane Black. Watch Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. The guy excell at buddy cop movies with a dark streak and awesome dialogue. He's an artist in the genre.

Last edited:

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Hhhmmmmm!
Vietnamese deep fried spring rolls:nod:

I actually learned to cook some Vietnamese food. Among others fried spring rolls, then the dipping sauce made by fish sauce, rice vinegar, sugar etc. Haven't had it for a long time, ground pork and crab meat were in mine. I also made the soft ones as well, with peanut sauce.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

Maybe I'm more critical cause I watched the original Death Wish with Bronson two years ago(cause I knew they were gonna do a remake). But the Willis remake absolutely offered nothing new and it was far less gritty and realistic than the original. I felt nothing for the Willis character. This was a typical safe Hollywood remake. Sure it's fine for a rental but I was left with a bad taste in my mouth. Like they took the original and cuts its balls. Even what happens to the main character is not that bad, it even pulls back on things that could have been much harsher to his family. Compare it to what happens in the original where his wife and daughter are beaten and raped and one of them dies where the criminals are just a bunch horrible maniacs. Here it's a robbery gone wrong and the guys are not that bad. At one point he is supposed to go on his revenge path and I was like meh, I don't care, the guy might as well go into a bar and drink a beer and forget the whole thing. They could at least have done something interesting with the brother saying it was all his fault that this happened. But nope.

It's even more maddening in retrospect since Joe "Narc/The Grey" Carnahan had planned from I heard an amazing remake. But the studio wanted something safer with an action star, etc...

Of course, it's Shane Black. Watch Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. The guy excell at buddy cop movies with a dark streak and awesome dialogue. He's an artist in the genre.

Black is doing a Predator remake/reboot (he was the glasses guy in the original) and he's doing Doc Savage next. Wonder how those'll turn out.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008

Dude I agree with what you just said but you also said that Once Upon a Time in Venice was a movie that you can watch while drinking coffee (who drinks coffee while watching a movie lol), I didn't realize that we were raising the bar all of a sudden. I did say that it wasn't the most brilliant or unique script. I agree with you that the attack on the family in the original was MUCH more graphic and intense and you feel more for the characters in the first 10 second of the film than you do the entirety of the remake. You didn't think that they were going to mess up Elisabeth Shue's pretty face now did you? lol.. Where the remake might be better is in the other scenes which are more brutal and you also get more of a classic justice revenge story, something that you don't get in the original. Also that finger gun point at the end of the movie was a total homage to the original! I really liked that touch.

You're right movies are much safer nowadays but that's because movies cost too much to make and studios can't afford to fail. It's similar to the video game industry with the big main publishers releasing the same crap year after year with the real innovation coming from the independent publishers.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
I liked him when I first saw him in Moonlighting with Cybill Shepherd. Those two were great together. Loved The Fifth Element, never really got into the Die Hard series. I'll check out Death Wish.

Hey peate, I agree with you about Moonlighting, the two had really great chemistry together. Ouff Die Hard was awesome definitely up there with Mel Gibson and the Lethal Weapons. If you don't like Bruce Willis than Death Wish probably won't do much to change your mind. He's very stiff and wooden in this one but I am wondering the direction must have called for it because he's definitely capable of being much more likeable and has a personality in Once Upon a Time in Venice which released just last year. That probably when Willis is at his best, when's he able to be loose and sarcastic instead of being forced to be too serious and overact.

I enjoyed this movie - nothing earth shattering but tried and true formula that works... In terms of recent movies I felt that Calibre, A Quiet place and Thoroughbred brought more to the table and offered more entertainment value.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
I actually learned to cook some Vietnamese food. Among others fried spring rolls, then the dipping sauce made by fish sauce, rice vinegar, sugar etc. Haven't had it for a long time, ground pork and crab meat were in mine. I also made the soft ones as well, with peanut sauce.
I assume you like cilantro then?!
I personally prefer the deep fried spring rolls as opposed to the salad/prawns rolls.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
I assume you like cilantro then?!
I personally prefer the deep fried spring rolls as opposed to the salad/prawns rolls.

Me too, I like cilantro and I once worked at a Persian kabob (that is what Persians call the kebab) restaurant and they had a daily non kabob menu as well and had a amazing stew with lots of cilantro on Thursdays. It looked a bit weird since it was green but it was fantastic.

My ex -wife called the the fried spring rolls for crispy rolls. The salad one with shrimp and peanut dipping sauce was called soft rolls.

Reactions: mariolemieux66

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
How strange was it to watch the two Camille’s worlds intertwine to seamlessly in the pilot of Sharp Objects? What a masterful job done Vallée here. You get the sense of the collision fast-approaching from pretty much the opening sequence. What a thrill.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Dude I agree with what you just said but you also said that Once Upon a Time in Venice was a movie that you can watch while drinking coffee (who drinks coffee while watching a movie lol), I didn't realize that we were raising the bar all of a sudden. I did say that it wasn't the most brilliant or unique script. I agree with you that the attack on the family in the original was MUCH more graphic and intense and you feel more for the characters in the first 10 second of the film than you do the entirety of the remake. You didn't think that they were going to mess up Elisabeth Shue's pretty face now did you? lol.. Where the remake might be better is in the other scenes which are more brutal and you also get more of a classic justice revenge story, something that you don't get in the original. Also that finger gun point at the end of the movie was a total homage to the original! I really liked that touch.

You're right movies are much safer nowadays but that's because movies cost too much to make and studios can't afford to fail. It's similar to the video game industry with the big main publishers releasing the same crap year after year with the real innovation coming from the independent publishers.

Yea the finger pointing thing might have been the only thing I liked. lol

Sad thing is, the remake came to be out of necessity cause Joe Carnahan had a great take on it but they took his thing, and then went hey Joe we don't need you anymore, we'll just hire Bruce Willis and he'll be super-hero. At the end of the day, the film bombed so they should have trusted Carnahan and his probably more artsy take on it cause it would have made no difference at the ticket sales. But it would have been more true and be a great piece filmmaking.

But yea at least Bruce brought it on Once Upon a Time in Venice.

Reactions: Bryson

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Black is doing a Predator remake/reboot (he was the glasses guy in the original) and he's doing Doc Savage next. Wonder how those'll turn out.

I think it seems like so far he's been better at doing smaller movies. He did Iron Man 3 which I wasn't too big a fan of. But he did work on the original Predator so maybe he has more the pulse of what should be done here.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
How strange was it to watch the two Camille’s worlds intertwine to seamlessly in the pilot of Sharp Objects? What a masterful job done Vallée here. You get the sense of the collision fast-approaching from pretty much the opening sequence. What a thrill.

The angst was tangible from the start. It was a riveting hour. Looking forward to more.

Reactions: GoodKiwi

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
It seems that all Hollywood does anymore are mediocre remakes of previous movies, often movies that shouldn't have been made the first time, let alone re-made 20 odd years later.

The original Death Wish was a movie of it's time. Remaking it now will not be able to capture that, even if it sets the story back in the early 70's, which I'm guessing they will not. To understand the phenomenon that the original Death Wish was, you first have to understand what an absolute, utter cesspool New York City had become by 1973. Back then, you took your life into your hands just by walking through Times Square. That's why, when Charles Bronson in the original film blew away the mugger in the subway, theatre audiences in NYC broke out in cheers. Today, Times Square is an urban theme park for tourists. It's a different time and place. There is no way that the remake could ever have the same visceral effect on the viewer after 40 years of ultra-violence in both movies and in real life since the original was made.

Hollywood needs to invest in some original ideas instead of beating dead horses all the time. The best movies being made today are the ones from outside of Hollywood and the corporate suits who only know about balance sheets, not anything to do with art.

Reactions: Kimota and Runner77

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Handmaid’s Tale season 2 was a chore to watch. They had no idea what to do after covering the book. I feel this most recent season could have been done in 8 episodes easily, not 13.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Started Unsolved yesterday. The first two episode are great. The characters are so accurate its crazy. Theres a few mistakes however, like a 98 accord in the rear 97, Biggie and Suge wearing the same knit sweater, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad