Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... Part XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I believe Gunn was supposed to be the overseer of the whole cosmic side of the MCU.

Not sure if he’d be the ideal choice but since he did a great job with Ragnorok, maybe Waititi can take over. If they look outside their current stable of directors, I am not sure right now. I’d prefer more of a risk taker or somebody who thinks outside the box.

Wow that's actually a great idea. Ragnarok is as close as you can get to Guardians. Same style and rythm.

Reactions: sandviper

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Those were cool scenes, but bad storytelling. Ultimately the narrative should come first, and that's not what happened there.

Why did Quicksilver have a cool scene?
To free Magneto.
Why did they free Magneto?
Because old Magneto told them that they would need young Magneto.
Was he needed?
No, so it was kind of pointless. The plot was unnatural and inorganic.

Well, just a bad decision from both of them in the future. Xavier is a telepath not a seer. Both of them, as old men, knew that they accomplish more when they are together.

I don't know. I just don't bogged down in the details when it comes to time travel movies evercsince I realized even Spielberg had a huge plot hole in BTTF 2.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
"Dirt" episode escalates the self-inflicted pain to an already high threshold. I wonder how they can temper that throughout the next 6 episodes. It is already uncomfortable plenty. Not that I mind, I just crave (and fear) an escalation that should follow.

That detachment Flynn writes about in the novel is so very clear here and is very well developed to this point. "Why can't nobody see the pain Camille is in?". Adora's futile attempts at keeping everything "civil" come off so petty and sad. That's not a knock on her character at all - it's the only sane way she knows and she keeps clinging to that by any means necessary.

Why "Dirt" as the title of the last episode I wonder still... Was it about the wake (the "pot" everyone in the town is steeping in) or Natalie herself? Not sure really. Both are very plausible scenarios.

The town's "protocol" hangs heavily over the entire thing. It's probably the second most important thing in it outside of the "wrecking ball" that Camille is. Everyone here must play their role and they do. The town speaks for you, your roots and people around form you. You are the product of Wind Gap and don't you dare to get out from under it.

Just some unfiltered thoughts here... this poses more questions that I can answer at the moment.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Sneaky Pete . That’s all I have to say . Sneaky Pete

Ribisi is excellent in the show . I’m pretty sure it’s an Amazon Original show but I watch it on my android box . If you don’t have one you can always download the torrent at eztv which is my favourite place to do so. If you have amazon prime you can watch it there too . Hope that helps

Ribisi is in the top tier of active actors, he's in a very small, select group if you ask me. He hasn't gotten his big break as of right now, and, to be honest, I'm not sure why that hasn't happened yet. His acting range alone puts him easily in top 5 IMO. For example, as much as I love Phoenix (and I do view him as the top male actor as of this moment), he can't display the same range as Ribisi can IMO. He's fantastic in "Sneaky Pete" and makes the series worth watching all by himself.

Oh my, you guys weren't kidding. What a great show. And the main character hails from Montreal in the storyline. Just finished watching the pilot (episode 1) and was immediately drawn in by Ribisi. The supporting cast features two familiar faces from The Americans and saw from the credits that Brian Cranston is involved as more than just a character in this. It's looking really promising.

Last edited:

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Ribisi is in the top tier of active actors, he's in a very small, select group if you ask me. He hasn't gotten his big break as of right now, and, to be honest, I'm not sure why that hasn't happened yet. His acting range alone puts him easily in top 5 IMO. For example, as much as I love Phoenix (and I do view him as the top male actor as of this moment), he can't display the same range as Ribisi can IMO. He's fantastic in "Sneaky Pete" and makes the series worth watching all by himself.

I agree on Phoenix being at the top. I've felt he's been the best for awhile now.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Oh my, you guys weren't kidding. What a great show. And the main character hails from Montreal in the storyline. Just finished watching the pilot (episode 1) and was immediately drawn in by Ribisi. The supporting cast features two familiar faces from The Americans and saw from the credits that Brian Cranston is involved as more than just a character in this. It's looking really promising.

I'll have to check it out too. Sharp objects isn't for me. I watched epsiode 2 and I think I am done.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
My favorite all-time superhero movie is still Watchmen (not the reason for my nick). Now that was risk-taking and Zach Snyder greatly exploited both the silver age anthological hommage and satirical nature of Alan Moore's work. The style and approach fitted like a glove with the subject matter.

To this day, I still don't get why it's so badly rated. For a superhero movie, it stands out. It's original, violent and highly conceptualized. I guess it might be seen in a bleaker light because of it's massive socio-political undertones and it's critique of American power games and western civilization as a whole.

I'll give Watchmen another go at it. I remember not particularly liking it but I really don't remember much of anything from it. Good time to rewatch it.

And agreed for Black Panther, thought it was worse the 2nd time around. I'm astonished by how bad of a job they did developing Killmonger. Nothing made sense and I really hated the "he's one of ours'' lazy line. Apparently being Navy Seal means you can kill the greatest warrior on the planet, who's trained his entire life to fight, because...well....duh...USA! USA! USA!
In the span of about 10 minutes, Wakanda, an impossible place to find, well, was found by Killmonger, he entered, got to speak to the leaders, challenged the King, got ready for combat, "killed" the King, and became the new ruler.

Wow....impressive this Wakanda thing..:facepalm: Everything was bad, so disappointed with it.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
GoodKiwi, thanks for the Sneaky Pete recommendation. Some of the best acting I've ever seen as well. I've watched quite a few of Giovanni Ribisi's movies and always thought he was pretty underrated, but here he is amazing. I'm so glad you pointed me to this, can't believe I hadn't seen it sooner. Loved the first episode and now heading back for episode 2.

Reactions: GoodKiwi

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I agree on Phoenix being at the top. I've felt he's been the best for awhile now.

His performance in The Master :bow:

I have You Were Never Really Here on my computer, I need to get around to watching it. But Best Actor at Cannes is a nice accolade.

Reactions: GoodKiwi

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
GoodKiwi, thanks for the Sneaky Pete recommendation. Some of the best acting I've ever seen as well. I've watched quite a few of Giovanni Ribisi's movies and always thought he was pretty underrated, but here he is amazing. I'm so glad you pointed me to this, can't believe I hadn't seen it sooner. Loved the first episode and now heading back for episode 2.

I will need Mario Lemieux's approval before jumping in. I will only watch if it gets above a 7/10. :sarcasm:

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Since we appear to be talking super hero movies, James Gunn was just fired by Disney.

James Gunn Fired as Director of 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3'

Short version, he made some VERY offensive tweets 7-10 years ago that got dug up. Despite having apologized for those six years ago and before joining Disney, I guess lesson is you have to be careful what you say online.

The jokes he made were offensive and distasteful but I believe he is sincere in that he admits to them and owns it but has also evolved and matured since. Without knowing the details (did he disclose this to Disney before joining?), I am not sure if he should have been fired but I understand WHY he was fired.

Meanwhile, it took Disney forever to fire Roseanne Barr.

Switching gears, I saw Ant-Man and the Wasp. Thought it was kinda meh. Not terrible, but not great.

Switching gears some more, I saw A Quiet Place yesterday. I thought it was excellent. Surpassed my expectations, which were quite high given the positive word of mouth.

And this is going to be a HUGE problem going forward and I have no idea how it's ever going to be resolved especially with the growing SJW movement. A man can lose his job just for looking at a woman wrong nowadays. No joke. And anything you write on the internet sticks with you for life no matter how sincere your apology is. It's just easier for large corporations to fire the person regardless of whether they have been proven guilty or not rather than to deal with and face the backlash from the SJW warriors.

Reactions: PhysicX

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Honestly guys it's almost bullying at this point i think the message has been sent and we should move on.
Wut? memes are not bullying and in no way shape or form was that ever meant as an insult. If anything it's a complement that his opinion is regarded so highly.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
I'm glad you're enjoying it.

Sadly, the show doesn't have an arc to make it enjoyable throughout. At least not for me.

Yes, Ribisi is amazing here. He highlights the entire thing. But the writing failed me mid-way through the first season.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I'm glad you're enjoying it.

Sadly, the show doesn't have an arc to make it enjoyable throughout. At least not for me.

Yes, Ribisi is amazing here. He highlights the entire thing. But the writing failed me mid-way through the first season.
I agree. I like Ribisi, but I found Sneaky Pete rather underwhelming. Didn't feel like I was watching something new.

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
Anybody knows why Westworld keeps getting nominated for awards? I mean, I get that it's a high budget TV show that has a lot of production qualities. But this whole scenario is so bad. I watched the whole 1st season and even started the 2nd, before finally giving up. I just can't feel attached to characters that are actually robots with infinite amount of lives. Also, how can these actors even be nominated? Playing an emotionless robot shouldn't be that hard.

Still love the soundtrack though.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Well said, but actually I am a big fan of superhero movies. It's precisely why I'm so disappointed and annoyed with them. They're ruining all these cool things.
Black Panther is one I am most disappointed with. Such potential to do something amazing and they dropped the ball entirely for me. Same boring style of humor, same general outline, rushed storylines to the point they don't make the slightest bit of sense. But hey, it was refreshing from a social standpoint so big popular praise, but really, it was garbage imo. I thought I was harsh initially, so I rewatched it last week and man, thought it was even worse.

They're not incapable of doing different things. I think Deadpool was great. Guardian of the Galaxy (didn't watch the 2nd yet) I also liked. So they can do good ones, but most of them are just repeatitive junk.

Yea Black Panther used to be one of the coolest heroes of mine since I was a kid and they managed to make him boring and unappealing with this movie. It's like they added too much unneccesary junk. I was watching 1960s Bond movies a few years ago when they released them in box sets and there was stuff in it that made me think "if I would make a Panther movie that is the cool vibe I would go for".

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Anybody knows why Westworld keeps getting nominated for awards? I mean, I get that it's a high budget TV show that has a lot of production qualities. But this whole scenario is so bad. I watched the whole 1st season and even started the 2nd, before finally giving up. I just can't feel attached to characters that are actually robots with infinite amount of lives. Also, how can these actors even be nominated? Playing an emotionless robot shouldn't be that hard.

Still love the soundtrack though.

I was recommended Westworld by a friend, I watched all of season 1 hoping to finally get into it and I just couldn't.

Reactions: Domi a favor

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
And this is going to be a HUGE problem going forward and I have no idea how it's ever going to be resolved especially with the growing SJW movement. A man can lose his job just for looking at a woman wrong nowadays. No joke. And anything you write on the internet sticks with you for life no matter how sincere your apology is. It's just easier for large corporations to fire the person regardless of whether they have been proven guilty or not rather than to deal with and face the backlash from the SJW warriors.

Can you name a man who has lost his job for looking at a woman wrong?

What's actually happened:

A man can lose his job for sexually harassing his female employees.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Finally started watching The Americans...

Took me all of 10 mins to think this was one of the better shows I've watched.

PhysicX

Nov 17, 2010
MTL
Vikings season 5 is underwhelming (after 7 episodes).

Breaking Bad season 1 is real good.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing

Don't break the "don't be a dick" rule and you'll always be fine.

Man aspires to be a famous director, says disgusting things, expects it to not backfire. Clever

It would help if corporations would show some backbone sometimes but hey, it's their money....

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
His performance in The Master :bow:

I have You Were Never Really Here on my computer, I need to get around to watching it. But Best Actor at Cannes is a nice accolade.

That cast... :bow:

PSH, Phoenix, Adams, Plemons, Malek

Talk about an embarrassment of the riches.

Reactions: le_sean
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad

-->