Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... Part XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Don't break the "don't be a dick" rule and you'll always be fine.

Man aspires to be a famous director, says disgusting things, expects it to not backfire. Clever

It would help if corporations would show some backbone sometimes but hey, it's their money....

Pretty much this. Can’t fight the internet... whatever you say ends up in the cloud, so Gunn pretty much punched his ticket when he clicked on send/submit/post.

Yeah, it was a while ago and it was meant to be a joke, regardless how inappropriate it was, but multi-billion dollar companies are probably going to feel uneasy about stuff like that to put it mildly.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Don't break the "don't be a dick" rule and you'll always be fine.

Man aspires to be a famous director, says disgusting things, expects it to not backfire. Clever

It would help if corporations would show some backbone sometimes but hey, it's their money....

Yes in general that is true. I am a decent human being in real life but I think to my online persona and how much more easily and freely words flow. If we are referring strictly to James Gunn because these types of conversations can literally open a can of worms. Is it fair to fire someone for something they said 10 years ago? Especially in the entertainment business where the literal objective is to entertain, provoke and push the boundaries in order to get a reaction. Where in a circus act it might be about pushing the limits with more dangerous stunts, in the entertainment business pushing the boundaries might involve being more provocative.

People learn, people grow, people re-invent themselves. It is literally the very definition of what it means to be human. But I guess in this day and age what you say on the internet sticks with you for life like a bad tattoo.

Reactions: PhysicX

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
I agree. I don't think it's fair, and yes people change and grow and he apologized. Large corporation with literally billions at stake won't put up with it. Period. That's their choice. I personally think it's weak, but again, the last thing these corporation want in their billion dollar franchise, is a director who said what he said. He isn't bigger than the franchise, so it's waaaaay easier for them to shitcan him and find some other guy to take over.

"but I think to my online persona and how much more easily and freely words flow" aaaaand that's where youre wrong. This isn't the 90's anymore, you and your online persona are one and the same. He used his name and posted dumb shit, so of course he'll get flak for it. If you want to be anonymous, name yourself masterdecoy instead of D------...

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
Never liked it... I don't even get the appeal tbh. That's on me though, clearly I'm in the minority

Same. I watched the first season and thought it was ok. Not a top 5 show though.

I admit it's not for everybody. If you watch this show expecting an action packed spy adventure, you'll be deceived. This show is more about a family torn by their double life, by the lies and by their own moral dilemmas. I love how it avoids all the Hollywood codes and resists the temptation to have dramatic twist and turns. Instead, the shocking events (like killing people) is shown as part of their daily routine. The show is more interested in showing the aftermath and the consequences on their family cell. I finished the last season a few weeks ago and really, I give it 5 stars.

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
I will need Mario Lemieux's approval before jumping in. I will only watch if it gets above a 7/10. :sarcasm:

It's not a must Watch show like Breaking bad but it's still better than average if you went in with low expectations. Give it a try.

I really liked the first 2 seasons of the Americans but i quit on the show when the dad goes out with a teenager during like 10 episodes to gain access on her dad.

Westworld season 1 is one of the best season of tv ever and should have one the emmy for best serie and Anthony Hopkins should have won as well, he was marvelous in the 1st season. Season 2 feel rush and the quality went downhill that's a shame.

I am done with sharp objects after 2 episodes. Nothing interesting really happened.

The Shop Around the Corner : 7/10

Reactions: Bryson

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
It's not a must Watch show like Breaking bad but it's still better than average if you went in with low expectations. Give it a try.

I really liked the first 2 seasons of the Americans but i quit on the show when the dad goes out with a teenager during like 10 episodes to gain access on her dad.

Westworld season 1 is one of the best season of tv ever and should have one the emmy for best serie and Anthony Hopkins should have won as well, he was marvelous in the 1st season. Season 2 feel rush and the quality went downhill that's a shame.

I am done with sharp objects after 2 episodes. Nothing interesting really happened.

The Shop Around the Corner : 7/10

Looks like we totally disagree on The Americans and Westworld! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad