OT: Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Going to see the hobbit today in mega 3d dbox imax ultra vx super or whatever it's called

Just got back from The Hobbit. I enjoyed it quite a bit, much moreso than the previous one. At first I didn't know what I was watching because it looked like the most Ultra High Def showing of a BBC Masterpiece Theatre. After about 20 minutes or so I realized it was going to look like that throughout the entire film. It was a nice change for a Hollywood movie.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Just got back from The Hobbit. I enjoyed it quite a bit, much moreso than the previous one. At first I didn't know what I was watching because it looked like the most Ultra High Def showing of a BBC Masterpiece Theatre. After about 20 minutes or so I realized it was going to look like that throughout the entire film. It was a nice change for a Hollywood movie.

I actually enjoy that ultra high def thing at 48 fps and all. Even though the Hobbits movies were arguably too long and not that good, the experience is very immersive.

Apr 28, 2010
It wasn't a 2/10

It is worth a watch, it's like a 5.5/10. More than 2-3 funny moments. If you are more into dramas or serious movies, don't watch this. It's just stupid humor, l thought it was ok.

You talked like that's a fact. It is my opinion, deal with it!

Had a better time with This Is The End, though.

Last edited:

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
every time i see a superhero movie, i murder a seal

scum of the hearth, sign of the beast, would rather be ***** by an elephant

**** that ****

Stop watching then. They are a plague to Mankind. And none of them are good.

Favorite Christmas movies:
It's a Wonderful Life
The Sound of Music
The Ten Commandments
Mickey's Scrooge one
Scrooged(with Bill Murray)

JuicyHam

Dec 16, 2013
windsor
Stop watching then. They are a plague to Mankind. And none of them are good.

Favorite Christmas movies:
It's a Wonderful Life
The Sound of Music
The Ten Commandments
Mickey's Scrooge one
Scrooged(with Bill Murray)

it's a wonderful life is my favourite.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
it's a wonderful life is my favourite.

Never watching that. I'm ok with crying watching movies, but I'm not watching a movie I KNOW i will cry watching. Torturing my psyche isn't a hobby of mine

Edit: just reading The Road sent me on a week long depression...

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
:nod:

That, Bad Santa Unrated and Eyes Wide Shut are my top three X-mas movies.

Nicole...:naughty:;)

Although not a X-mas movie, this would always play during the holidays when I was a kid, always looked forward to it and even today I still get a kick out of Dorothy singing that song:dooney:.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I just watched Brazil (1985), what a splendid film.

Reminded me a lot of 1984.

As I watched it I was reminded of Batman (1989) and Sucker Punch (2011), turns out they're both influenced by Brazil.

I thought the ending was very confusing and nonsensical, turns out it was all just a dream.

I didn't like the excessive use of music. It was frequently louder than the dialogue.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
I didn't like the excessive use of music. It was frequently louder than the dialogue.

so a nolan film basically?

turns out point break is not as good as i remembered it. good film but plot holes and keanu reeves is probably the worst actor in the history of acting since some slave was rocking a mask in ancient rome. swayze was very good though.

edit: el-oh-el bigelow directed that :laugh:

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Never watching that. I'm ok with crying watching movies, but I'm not watching a movie I KNOW i will cry watching. Torturing my psyche isn't a hobby of mine

Edit: just reading The Road sent me on a week long depression...

I don't mind it so much because since this movie has usually shown during Christmas Eve or Christmas or whatever, there's usually people over and since they've been showing it so much(so I don't rent it or buy it), most of the times during all these years I've seen only a group of scenes not in chronological order. So even though these scenes are powerful in themselves, without the context of the rest of the flick, I cannot be moved that much to tears. What's strange is that I've only seen IAWL only one time completely from beginning to end after I rented it and that's when I cried(and it's the hardest I cried for a movie with Casablanca and Field of Dreams...and ET). But everytime one scene of Wonderful Life appears on screen when I flip channels I become transfixed at the screen for whatever reason. It's like I'm hypnotised. That's a testament of a great flick.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
Done watching the Marco Polo series. Was fun, great landscapes throughout the series. Got me back reading some of my books on the Mongol Empire that were gathering dust the last few years :P

Knackys

Jul 21, 2014
I finished watching Marco Polo too. I really enjoyed the first season. Nothing extraordinary but it was nice first season overall.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
Wait, Marco Polo is about the historical character?

Yeah but I can't say I learned anything about him :P It's really more about the Mongol Empire, Genghis Khan's grandson (Kubilai) and the conquest of the Song dynasty.

Perhaps we'll learn more about Polo in the upcoming seasons (if there's any).

They should've made a show about the Mongol Empire instead. Forget Marco Polo lol.

indeed

I finished watching Marco Polo too. I really enjoyed the first season. Nothing extraordinary but it was nice first season overall.

Yeap, liked it too

Last edited:

ninjagaiden

Oct 1, 2014
was able to get through the first half hour and understood why i hated a certain person in the movie so much,

and gone girl was very good, don't get why some didn't like the ending

another earth, good science fiction movie, by same director as I Origins, similar concept

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad