OT: Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knackys

Jul 21, 2014
WTF, I just finished to watch the last episode of the season 4 of Homeland. Probably the worst season finale i have ever seen in my life. How the hell can you end a season like this ? Pathetic !

Oh i watched Gone Girl and i think it was a pretty good movie. I love the dark atmosphere that David Fincher is able to create in alot of his movie (Seven, Fight Club, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Zodiac, etc). I didn't liked the last 20 minutes of the movie. It felt like the end was a bit rushed and really not convincing. I mean, there is no way that the doctors at the hospital allow you to go home covered in blood all over your body. Anyway, i really enjoyed the first 2 hour of the movie!

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I'm reading a few "best films of 2014" lists and I have missed out on: The Raid 2, Only Lovers Left Alive, Boyhood, Birdman, Jodorowsky's Dune, Inherent Vice, and Locke. People are raving about these left and right and I have not had any chance to go see them.

Admittedly some of these lists are including Captain America 2 and Guardians of the Galaxy as "top" movies, so I should be and am skeptical.

The best 2014 movies I've seen:
Grand Budapest Hotel -- It's got this elegant and unique style and world building. Ralph Fiennes was incredible.
Noah -- A brilliant take on the bible.
Interstellar -- Is it Nolan's best film?
Gone Girl -- Among other things this is the first time I've seen a man go down on a woman in a Hollywood movie.
Nightcrawler -- Really strong indictment of evening local news in the USA, compares favourably to Fight Club since we actually feel disgusted with the main character at the end. Jake Gyllenhaal gave one of the best performances I've seen this year.
Snowpiercer - Kind of like Matrix Reloaded but with good script and direction.

For a good two hours, I'd also recommend Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, The Fault in our Stars, The Edge of Tomorrow, The Lego Movie, X-Men Days of Future Past, Guardians of the Galaxy, Captain America 2, and Maze Runner.

The worst 2014 movies I've seen: Amazing Spider Man 2, Dracula Untold.

Last edited:

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
The Hobbit 3 = 10/10 must see in IMAX if possible.

Only complain, Orcs with thick skin and huge armor go down way too easily.

Knackys

Jul 21, 2014
I'm reading a few "best films of 2014" lists and I have missed out on: The Raid 2, Only Lovers Left Alive, Boyhood, Birdman, Jodorowsky's Dune, Inherent Vice, and Locke. People are raving about these left and right and I have not had any chance to go see them.

If you liked The Raid: Redemption, your gonna love The Raid 2. Same epic fights scenes with a slightly better scenario and a longer movie.

Only Lovers Left Alive is good, but clearly not my favorite. It wasn't bad just i felt something was missing.

I don't have seen all others movies but they are on my watch list.

Admittedly some of these lists are including Captain America 2 and Guardians of the Galaxy as "top" movies, so I should be and am skeptical.

The best 2014 movies I've seen:
Grand Budapest Hotel -- It's got this elegant and unique style and world building. Ralph Fiennes was incredible.
Noah -- A brilliant take on the bible.
Interstellar -- Is it Nolan's best film?
Gone Girl -- Among other things this is the first time I've seen a man go down on a woman in a Hollywood movie.
Nightcrawler -- Really strong indictment of evening local news in the USA, compares favourably to Fight Club since we actually feel disgusted with the main character at the end. Jake Gyllenhaal gave one of the best performances I've seen this year.
Snowpiercer - Kind of like Matrix Reloaded but with good script and direction.

Agree with you on 99%, im just not a huge fan of Noah.

For a good two hours, I'd also recommend Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, The Fault in our Stars, The Edge of Tomorrow, The Lego Movie, X-Men Days of Future Past, Guardians of the Galaxy, Captain America 2, and Maze Runner.

Pretty good recommandations overall.

I wasn't expecting alot when i watched The Fault in our Stars but i must admit that i was agreeably surprised. It's not exactly my type of movie but it had alot of funny moment and i must admit that i cried.

Maze Runner could have been alot better if it wasn't only prepubescent actors. I had the same bad feeling when i tried to watch the serie The 100. Still, the movie was pretty entertaining.

The worst 2014 movies I've seen: Amazing Spider Man 2, Dracula Untold.

Agree.

Svart

Live Slow, Die Fat
Jul 5, 2006
Just finished the first season of Marco Polo on Netflix. It starts out slow but once you get to know who is who, it gets more and more interesting.

Worth watching just for the blind monk.. and all those naked asian women ;)

xposbrad

Jul 11, 2009
The Guest.. Good movie. Not for everyone though. Great soundtrack.

Ya, not a bad B movie to watch one night. My wife thought that the main guy looked a bit like Ryan Gosseling so she liked the movie too lol..

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
If they were serious about the show, something insane would have happened with Quinn. Like Dar Adal capturing him and turning him over, or killing him. Or Quinn suicide bombing Akani (sp?). They completely screwed the pooch on the finale and ruined the entire season.

There wasn't even anything meaningful with Lockhart, who was a major player in the last few episodes and was getting interesting. Especially with how he gave in to the terrorists.

Unacceptable. People should be fired.

I almost didn't watch this season because of how horrible the writing had gotten, and only did so because of people here talking about how good the season was compared to the last. And it was good, it was excellent up until this point. So disappointed.

The ending was bad. I was watching it and kept checking the minutes that went by and couldn't believe there was nothing happening. What the heck was that scene with the older guy in the park and Carrie blabbing about completely irrelevant stories with her dad? Just a complete waste of time.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Margot Robbie ... wow.

Do we have a consensus that she is the sexiest big-name woman in Hollywood right now?

margot-robbie-547729.jpg

She will be playing the Joker's girlfriend "Harley Quinn" in the upcoming Suicide Squad, and will play opposite Will Smith in "Focus". I wonder if she'll be able to translate sex appeal into stardom.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Margot is pretty attractive, although I wouldn't say she's the sexiest. I'm a bigger man of Charlize Theron and Marion Cotillard, definitely my faves.

Amazing Spiderman 2 was amazing in its sheer awfulness. The entire film suggested everyone who worked on the film just wanted to wrap up and go home. I actually enjoyed the first one, which made the huge drop in quality even more surprising to me.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
every time i see a superhero movie, i murder a seal

scum of the hearth, sign of the beast, would rather be ***** by an elephant

**** that ****

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
The Interview was horrible. I mean, I knew it would be dumb and I definitely wasn't surprised. But ugh.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Nice... collar bones, i guess?

And you guys were talking about The Raid 2.

It was exactly how I expected. Bloated by too much money.

First of all we were not "talking about The Raid 2", it was just me writing that it's a movie I have not seen that is showing up on a lot of lists.

Second, it was made with a budget of 4.5 million so it's not bloated by too much money -- stop posting absolute nonsense.

You are more interested in being a contrarian than in having any coherent thought process. It's very transparent.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Second, it was made with a budget of 4.5 million so it's not bloated by too much money -- stop posting absolute nonsense.

Still 4 times the amount compared to the first one. That's a huge step.

The movie was fine, but too long by about an hour. That's the bloating I was refering to. Reduce the budget and some unecessary scenes will naturally be cut out.

Sometimes, scarcity can actually be a blessing. It forces you to make some choices.

One thing I really like is when directors are asked to make short films. In that case, there can be a lot of money, but time is actually scarce. It can lead to great results because you only put your best ideas on screen, there's no time to "fill".

Example:

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
Snowpiercer- Dystopian nonsense. What a piece of garbage.

I expected the film to excuse itself at the end, like having everyone living some virtual world created from them from some "matrix" computer, but spoiler alert, that just didn't happen. It was just bad. It would take longer than the length of the film to list the plot holes and criticisms.

It's bad social commentary that literally went off the rails.

xposbrad

Jul 11, 2009
Just saw The Interview.. 2/10.

I laughed maybe twice. Good thing I saw it for free though.

It wasn't a 2/10

It is worth a watch, it's like a 5.5/10. More than 2-3 funny moments. If you are more into dramas or serious movies, don't watch this. It's just stupid humor, l thought it was ok.

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
Snowpiercer- Dystopian nonsense. What a piece of garbage.

I expected the film to excuse itself at the end, like having everyone living some virtual world created from them from some "matrix" computer, but spoiler alert, that just didn't happen. It was just bad. It would take longer than the length of the film to list the plot holes and criticisms.

It's bad social commentary that literally went off the rails.

I thought it was a comedy at first, I don't think I have ever seen such bad acting and "roll your eyes " story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad