OT: Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Man I love looking at movies trailers. All the good parts are there so you don't even have to waste time with the actual movie.

Latest example: Fast and Furious 7.

I mean, the cars parachuting in? And then Walker(? or his brother) runs on top of a bus sliding down a cliff and then jumps on a drifting car steered by Rodriguez. Completely dumb and over the top, but damn it looks good. :laugh:

It's like poetry.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Anyone see Nightcrawler?

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
I saw Birdman. It was surprisingly good. I forgot how good of an actor Michael Keaton is.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
Just finished up Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey. I enjoyed it but is seemed very ambitious for a 13 part series. Some jumping around and bouncing in certain topics but overall very good. Is this it or are there plans for more episodes in the series?

Also sat down and watched Sons of Anarchy S7 Ep1. Meh. Not off to a good start.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Fury (2014)
Director: David Ayer
Rotten Tomatoes: 79%

I watched David Ayer's Fury last week and I was mostly bored and underwhelmed. It's a world war II tank movie, following an American tank crew as it's moving into Germany and winning the war. It had the potential to be interesting, it had a few good elements, but overall it was simply too boring and cliche for me to follow.

The movie opens with some text. Something about the American army going into Germany and having a hard time against the superior German tanks, and how the Germans are fierce warriors now because Hitler has declared total war. That's an interesting premise I guess ... but what follows is a movie without any fierce Germans, it's entirely the Americans easily crushing the Germans at every twist and turn for 90 minutes. The Americans win nearly every fight, easily. There is no evidence of any superior German tanks or fierce German warriors so the opening text was completely meaningless.

Around halfway through our tank crew easily take this small German town. Brad Pitt and the young guy who doesn't want to fight war go up the stairs to this apartment and meet two hot young German women alone. The young American soldier who doesn't want to fight then ****s one of the two German women, the younger and hotter one, to her enthusiastic consent. They fall in love. Following this, other American soldiers go up the stairs and one of them wants to **** the hot young German woman, but he is held off by Brad Pitt. A few minutes later they leave, and German friendly fire blows up the apartment where the hoy young German woman. The American soldier who fell in love with her now hates Germans, and is willing to kill in war. This is very cliche.

The movie progresses and the tank crew has to take a town with just one tank. This one tank then proceeds to shoot and kill hundreds of German soldiers (I thought the Germans were fierce?) until finally the Americans get weakened because they run out of ammo. Brad Pitt comes out of the tank to shoot with a small gun, and he is shot by a German sniper who is wearing a mask (lol, seriously, a mask) and who emerges as the only individual in the German army who can aim. For Brad Pitt, the great American to fall, it takes four or five direct gunshot wounds, and then he has time to deliver parting words to his friend who proceeds to hate below the tank.

The movie as far as I can tell has one good scene. It follows a simple scene where Brad Pitt takes his shirt off and lets the audience swoon over his great body, we see his six pack, etc. Whatever. He then turns around and we expect to see his chiseled back, the classic strong back pose. Instead we see that his back is all burned ... I thought that was clever, it's a break from expectations, and it communicates the horror of war.

Grade: C

Last edited:

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Die hard 2 8/10

Die hard 3 7.5/10 Good movie, poor ending.

Have you seen the ending they originally planned for Die Hard 3? It would have been much better than what we saw at the theater.

Test screening got that one as well. It was deemed too dark and not fitting.

Man, I'd love it if we could just let filmmakers do their thing.

The original ending for First Blood was also something. Would have saved us from all the crappy sequels.

Last edited:

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
Have you seen the ending they originally planned for Die Hard 3? It would have been much better than what we saw at the theater.

Screen testing got that one as well. It was deemed too dark and not fitting.

Man, I'd love it if we could just let filmmakers do their thing.
QUOTE]

Thanks for that video. It would have been a way better ending.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
Just finished up Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey. I enjoyed it but is seemed very ambitious for a 13 part series. Some jumping around and bouncing in certain topics but overall very good. Is this it or are there plans for more episodes in the series?

Also sat down and watched Sons of Anarchy S7 Ep1. Meh. Not off to a good start.

that's it. no more

the ambitiousness of it all was what kept me glued to it. everybody should watch it. those that still don't believe in embryology, or evolution, should be forced to watch it, clockwork orange style

incredible series

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Thanks for that video. It would have been a way better ending.

And there's a bunch of those. As I was saying in my previous post, the original ending for First Blood:

Again, test screening got rid of that one.

The original Rambo was not an action movie, it was a tragedy. And this ending would have been much more fitting.

Rikiki Bousquet

Oct 3, 2012
Fury (2014)
Director: David Ayer
Rotten Tomatoes: 79%

I watched David Ayer's Fury last week and I was mostly bored and underwhelmed. It's a world war II tank movie, following an American tank crew as it's moving into Germany and winning the war. It had the potential to be interesting, it had a few good elements, but overall it was simply too boring and cliche for me to follow.

The movie opens with some text. Something about the American army going into Germany and having a hard time against the superior German tanks, and how the Germans are fierce warriors now because Hitler has declared total war. That's an interesting premise I guess ... but what follows is a movie without any fierce Germans, it's entirely the Americans easily crushing the Germans at every twist and turn for 90 minutes. The Americans win nearly every fight, easily. There is no evidence of any superior German tanks or fierce German warriors so the opening text was completely meaningless.

Around halfway through our tank crew easily take this small German town. Brad Pitt and the young guy who doesn't want to fight war go up the stairs to this apartment and meet two hot young German women alone. The young American soldier who doesn't want to fight then ****s one of the two German women, the younger and hotter one, to her enthusiastic consent. They fall in love. Following this, other American soldiers go up the stairs and one of them wants to **** the hot young German woman, but he is held off by Brad Pitt. A few minutes later they leave, and German friendly fire blows up the apartment where the hoy young German woman. The American soldier who fell in love with her now hates Germans, and is willing to kill in war. This is very cliche.

The movie progresses and the tank crew has to take a town with just one tank. This one tank then proceeds to shoot and kill hundreds of German soldiers (I thought the Germans were fierce?) until finally the Americans get weakened because they run out of ammo. Brad Pitt comes out of the tank to shoot with a small gun, and he is shot by a German sniper who is wearing a mask (lol, seriously, a mask) and who emerges as the only individual in the German army who can aim. For Brad Pitt, the great American to fall, it takes four or five direct gunshot wounds, and then he has time to deliver parting words to his friend who proceeds to hate below the tank.

The movie as far as I can tell has one good scene. It follows a simple scene where Brad Pitt takes his shirt off and lets the audience swoon over his great body, we see his six pack, etc. Whatever. He then turns around and we expect to see his chiseled back, the classic strong back pose. Instead we see that his back is all burned ... I thought that was clever, it's a break from expectations, and it communicates the horror of war.

Grade: C

You should hide the spoilers Champ.

la25ecoupe

Sep 23, 2008
Just saw Gone Girl. Ouf.. daring movie but i think it's implausible..

Can we discuss spoilers?

la25ecoupe

Sep 23, 2008
Oh and The Raid: Redemption is a pretty cool intense bone crunching martial art movie.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
HBO has been featuring a 1.5 hour documentary on Steve McQueen. So much I did not know about him, he was headstrong, failed and succeeded on his own terms. A life lived to the fullest.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
That was "let's run amok in my GF DVD library" weekend

I watched Gangs of New York yesterday.
I really wonder why I haven't seen that one earlier. Probably lose .5 due to annoyingness of Cameron Diaz.

8.5/10.

And I watched Interview with a Vampire friday. Not a great movie by any stretch, but pretty enjoyable nonetheless. Is it the most well-known movie whose lead character is an Acadian? (actually, a descendant of Acadian...)

7.5/10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad