OT: Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... Part IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I thought the whole Matt Damon part almost ruined Interstellar completely. He was horrible in it and it was such a lame, cheesy plot point.

Also:

1. Pulp Fiction
2. Kill Bill 1&2
3. Reservoir Dogs
4. Death Proof
5. Django Unchained
6. Inglourious Basterds

Still haven't seen Jackie Brown.

Wasn't cheesy nor lame, it's a plot point we've never or nearly never seen before.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
Agree completely. Jackie Brown is a great story with a very cool cast, but not for those expecting Tarantino's usual hyper-stylized visuals and violence.
For me it was the type of movie I didn't want to end. About half way through I realized I couldn't care how it was going to end, I just wanted the dialogue to continue forever. I swear I could listen to those characters talk, plot and scheme for days.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
I liked the Matt Damon part of the film. Liked how he led them there just to get his own ass out of that place, and was willing to leave them all behind all in order to continue on with the mission.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Wasn't cheesy nor lame, it's a plot point we've never or nearly never seen before.

We haven't seen him that often but it reminded me of another Nolan movie.

[SPOIL] It reminded me a lot of Harvey Dent in The Dark Knight. Nolan picks the best person and turns him bad. Damon's character was the smartest scientific on earth. Just like Harvey was the perfect DA who locked up every bad guy. [/SPOIL]

Tarasenko

Unregistered User
Oct 11, 2011
1. Inglourious Basterds
2. Pulp Fiction
3. Django Unchained
4. Kill Bill 1
5. Reservoir Dogs
6. Kill Bill 2
7. Death Proof
8. Jackie Brown

Yes. I'd switch up Jackie Brown and Death Proof though. But yeah, nice.

Blood On The Ice

Jul 17, 2007
Montreal
I liked the Matt Damon part of the film. Liked how he led them there just to get his own ass out of that place, and was willing to leave them all behind all in order to continue on with the mission.

Which tells a lot about human nature, even in outer space and in the greater scheme of things. We all break at some point.

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
interstellar spoiler I guess :

There's a point to be made about Matt Damon actually being the good guy in that movie... considering they couldn't move people to another planet, he was the only one who actually cared about saving the human race, Cooper was pretty much only trying to save Murph

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Finally got around to watching Birdman the other day. I'm not sure where all the hype came from to be honest. Other than the great acting performances it was pretty average.

What really threw me off was the ending. I'm not a fan of multiple endings like that. I realize that regardless of the ending you choose, the outcome is the same but I just feel like ending a movie this way is lazy.

Maybe I just need to see it again.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
Finally got around to watching Birdman the other day. I'm not sure where all the hype came from to be honest. Other than the great acting performances it was pretty average.

What really threw me off was the ending. I'm not a fan of multiple endings like that. I realize that regardless of the ending you choose, the outcome is the same but I just feel like ending a movie this way is lazy.

Maybe I just need to see it again.

I tried watching it 2 times and 2 times I turned it off. I just couldn't get into it at all. Maybe it got better after 45 minutes. I'll never know

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
You keep saying this like that automatically makes it a positive or worthy inclusion to the film.

It's a worthy inclusion in the film because the point fits the themes and story of Interstellar, even if the point will not register with many people. That's their loss.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
The birdman backlash is pretty amazing. I've never seen it personally, but what I recall is that when it came out it was seen as some deep provocative statement, it won best picture in a year (2014) with many great films. There were people calling it overrated tripe, but they were few and far between.

It took less than a year for the consensus to change, lol.

mitchmagic

Apr 25, 2006
Montreal, Qc
www.typeonefilms.com
The birdman backlash is pretty amazing. I've never seen it personally, but what I recall is that when it came out it was seen as some deep provocative statement, it won best picture in a year (2014) with many great films. There were people calling it overrated tripe, but they were few and far between.

It took less than a year for the consensus to change, lol.

It's a pretty good movie.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
interstellar spoiler I guess :

There's a point to be made about Matt Damon actually being the good guy in that movie... considering they couldn't move people to another planet, he was the only one who actually cared about saving the human race, Cooper was pretty much only trying to save Murph

Not sure I get you. Mann was stuck on his lifeless planet and sent a false message about it just so that somebody would come over and he'd get a chance at survival.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Birdman is not easy to watch. It's a very strange film that is definitely not everyone's cup of tea. I loved it, but I can completely understand why someone wouldn't: it's a fine line between pretension and art, and the film walks that line quite often. In the end, I agreed with the acclaim, although I would have been more than fine with either Whiplash or GBH winning the big prize as well.

All being told, the film's subject matter also made it ideal Oscar bait.

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
Not sure I get you. Mann was stuck on his lifeless planet and sent a false message about it just so that somebody would come over and he'd get a chance at survival.

I just read that he wanted to return home, I don't know why I thought he wanted to steal the ship and keep plan B alive... my memory is wonky
my mistake

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
I just read that he wanted to return home, I don't know why I thought he wanted to steal the ship and keep plan B alive... my memory is wonky
my mistake

The last few of Nolan's movies are bloated with too much stuff, some of which doesn't make sense. It's perfectly normal to forget some bits here and there. :)

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Birdman is not easy to watch. It's a very strange film that is definitely not everyone's cup of tea. I loved it, but I can completely understand why someone wouldn't: it's a fine line between pretension and art, and the film walks that line quite often. In the end, I agreed with the acclaim, although I would have been more than fine with either Whiplash or GBH winning the big prize as well.

All being told, the film's subject matter also made it ideal Oscar bait.

Birdman was excellent in many ways, but it just didn't feel natural to me. Tried to be too artsy/hipster/indie/pretentious for its own good.

It's a movie where I understand where the acclaim comes from, but it just wasn't all that enjoyable for me to watch. Haven't seen Whiplash as of yet, but I hold Grand Budapest Hotel in much higher regard, personally.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Birdman was excellent in many ways, but it just didn't feel natural to me. Tried to be too artsy/hipster/indie/pretentious for its own good.

It's a movie where I understand where the acclaim comes from, but it just wasn't all that enjoyable for me to watch. Haven't seen Whiplash as of yet, but I hold Grand Budapest Hotel in much higher regard, personally.

Birdman felt perfectly natural to me, though it's the very melodramatic 'natural' that defines New York's theater district. The film looked like a pretty authentic representation of the fragile egos and career arcs inhabiting that bubble.

Whiplash was a solid, intense story, and I love everything with J.K. Simmons in it. But some of the musical events were ridiculously arch. Some of the teaching techniques, issues with sheet music, rehearsal protocols -- some of the film's most dramatic conflicts were built on events that would never, ever happen in an ensemble/orchestra. Each of those small technical things took me out of the story.

Grand Budapest Hotel... I have no idea why I loved this film so much, but I did. Wes Anderson struck the perfect balance between artfulness, story and character. Fiennes was fantastic, the plot moved, and every scene was stunning to look at. I can't say the sum adds up to a Best Picture award, but I probably enjoyed this film more than any that year.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
Just finished watching the documentary Particle Fever about the large hard-on collider. That kind of nerdy science stuff makes me giddy like a child.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad