OT: Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
just finished this is the end

i know it was dumb movie but seeing a bunch of hollywood stars act out their stereotypes (or their opposite stereotype) is hilarious. michael cera as the sex addict coke fiend, jonah hill as this nicer than nice guy :laugh:

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
just finished this is the end

i know it was dumb movie but seeing a bunch of hollywood stars act out their stereotypes (or their opposite stereotype) is hilarious. michael cera as the sex addict coke fiend, jonah hill as this nicer than nice guy :laugh:

I heard that the scene where cera grabs rihanna's ass wasn't even faked. He asked her if he could really do it and she said only if she could really deck him. So he did and she did :laugh:

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
I heard that the scene where cera grabs rihanna's ass wasn't even faked. He asked her if he could really do it and she said only if she could really deck him. So he did and she did :laugh:

:biglaugh: then he goes super mad then half a second later forgets why he was mad and starts snorting coke again "where's my phone? who's got my phone? ive wasted so much coke on you guys..."

that line really killed me

You can't stop, drop, open up shop by yourself.

****ing dmx reference :laugh:

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
300: Rise of an Empire was badass.

It had a serviceable story and plot (it is after all based on important historical events), and the two core characters, Artemisia and Themistocles, were a lot of fun. I enjoyed their rivalry and games in the movie. Themistocles is a true hero. Eva Green's Artemisia is rather sexy when she's having sex, aside from being sexy the entire time. She's actually one of my favourite villains of recent movies at this point, she was smart, compelling, and powerful. The movie had strong characters ... there are a couple moments when I wanted to shed a tear for the characters, I wasn't expecting that out of a 300 movie.

The sword fights don't really disappoint, but we've seen sword fights before. What we had not seen was naval battles. The innovation in this movie was with the naval battles. Remember the preview of Troy where we see 1,000 ships and it looks awesome? We see 1,000 ships in this movie, and they actually do something, they don't just land on a beach. There are at least 3 naval battles, and they're each different and clever in their own way.

I like what they did with the narrative structure. It's neither sequel nor prequel to the first movie, but it's mostly parallel to the first movie, covering important events taking place elsewhere. However, I've watched the original movie 3 or 4 times, including one time last night. The narrative of the original film is fresh in my mind ... will other viewers understand what is going on? I don't know.

The world-building was good, they managed to make the Athenians different from the Spartans.

If I have one complaint, it is that Rise of an Empire maintains the style of the first, but only to an extent. It's a bit less like 300, and a bit more like Troy and Gladiator, and it doesn't have some of the clever dialogue we saw in the first movie, which is too bad.

8.5/10.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc

It had a serviceable story and plot (it is after all based on important historical events), and the two core characters, Artemisia and Themistocles, were a lot of fun. I enjoyed their rivalry and games in the movie. Themistocles is a true hero. Eva Green's Artemisia is rather sexy when she's having sex, aside from being sexy the entire time. She's actually one of my favourite villains of recent movies at this point, she was smart, compelling, and powerful. The movie had strong characters ... there are a couple moments when I wanted to shed a tear for the characters, I wasn't expecting that out of a 300 movie.

The sword fights don't really disappoint, but we've seen sword fights before. What we had not seen was naval battles. The innovation in this movie was with the naval battles. Remember the preview of Troy where we see 1,000 ships and it looks awesome? We see 1,000 ships in this movie, and they actually do something, they don't just land on a beach. There are at least 3 naval battles, and they're each different and clever in their own way.

I like what they did with the narrative structure. It's neither sequel nor prequel to the first movie, but it's mostly parallel to the first movie, covering important events taking place elsewhere. However, I've watched the original movie 3 or 4 times, including one time last night. The narrative of the original film is fresh in my mind ... will other viewers understand what is going on? I don't know.

The world-building was good, they managed to make the Athenians different from the Spartans.

If I have one complaint, it is that Rise of an Empire maintains the style of the first, but only to an extent. It's a bit less like 300, and a bit more like Troy and Gladiator, and it doesn't have some of the clever dialogue we saw in the first movie, which is too bad.

8.5/10.

do you work in movie theater or something? U seem to see every movie made.....

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
do you work in movie theater or something? U seem to see every movie made.....

I've seen two movies this year, and about a dozen last year, for an average of about one movie at the theatres per month. I don't know how that works out to "every movie made".

ClasslessGuy

May 10, 2010
Chelsea, QC

8.5/10.

Is the style/music/battle 99% like 300? Really liked the «sin city» style of photography in 300.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I just watched Thor 2.

It's pretty bad, but I can't help but smile at the epicness. Takes me back to my comic years. Can't wait to see the other power-is-of-the-chart like Thanos, Drax, The elders of the universe and CO. I love how they showed Kurse to be above Thor in power level.

/Marvelgeeknomore

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
I'm 5 episodes through the first season of House of Cards, and man is that series ever quotable.

SPOILER

"Now I'm going to see if he's a wolf or a sheep" "Looks like he chose the herd instead of the pack" "We're going to cleave you from the herd and watch you die"

Kevin Spacey and Kate Mara are fabulous. Great, great show.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec

8.5/10.

Do they still make major history errors? Are the Spartans still in chest and leather underwears? They were actually the most well suited soldiers back then. It does make them look bad ass, but that's not how they looked nor what they wore. They also didn't wear red capes.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Do they still make major history errors? Are the Spartans still in chest and leather underwears? They were actually the most well suited soldiers back then. It does make them look bad ass, but that's not how they looked nor what they wore. They also didn't wear red capes.

Hah, don't watch vikings.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
watched magic mike and i liked it, was smiling all the way through. i was drunk as hell which probably helped :laugh:

would go gay for channing tatum

Last edited:

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I just watched Thor 2.

It's pretty bad, but I can't help but smile at the epicness. Takes me back to my comic years. Can't wait to see the other power-is-of-the-chart like Thanos, Drax, The elders of the universe and CO. I love how they showed Kurse to be above Thor in power level.

/Marvelgeeknomore

Every time I watch Thor movies, they feel like a lost of opportunity? It's as if there's good elements in there but Disney/Marvel seem to have no idea how to bring tales of Thor on screen.

I laughed how dumb the whole machines worked with the multi-dimensional thing. It was like a bad plot from Slyders.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Hah, don't watch vikings.

Even if there are history errors, I'll watch the 300 movie. Ditto for Vikings.

It just sucks that the people who make those don't research more. I guess they prefer to put more money in special effects :(

Rome (the Series) was very well made in terms of history , they hired Historians, and that's probably why they didn't have the budget for a third season.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Even if there are history errors, I'll watch the 300 movie. Ditto for Vikings.

It just sucks that the people who make those don't research more. I guess they prefer to put more money in special effects :(

Rome (the Series) was very well made in terms of history , they hired Historians, and that's probably why they didn't have the budget for a third season.

They research just fine. Maximizing historical accuracy to the point of surgical precision is not the point of 300, and that is an irrational expectation to have of art. Sometimes it is better to dramatize, exaggerate, or satirize things.

Btw they still nail the major events (athens being captured, etc) and the roles of specific individuals. In that sense the movies, both of them, are more historically accurate than the king's speech, which pretends to be historically accurate.

Last edited:

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Every time I watch Thor movies, they feel like a lost of opportunity? It's as if there's good elements in there but Disney/Marvel seem to have no idea how to bring tales of Thor on screen.

I laughed how dumb the whole machines worked with the multi-dimensional thing. It was like a bad plot from Slyders.

Thor 2 was so stupid that it was the most painful and cringe-inducing experience I have ever had in a movie theatre.

They actually thought that having a guy streak naked at Stonehenge was funny .. in fact they repeated the joke several times.

Last edited:

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
They research just fine. Maximizing historical accuracy to the point of surgical precision is not the point of 300, and that is an irrational expectation to have of art. Sometimes it is better to dramatize, exaggerate, or satirize things.

Btw they still nail the major events (athens being captured, etc) and the roles of specific individuals. In that sense the movies, both of them, are more historically accurate than the king's speech, which pretends to be historically accurate.

Asking for the right apparels for the Spartans in 300 is far from being irrational. The movie is based on that. The fact that they fight a million soldiers(it was in fact much less than that in real life) doesn't bother me, but at least have a decency to research a bit for the costumes of your main subject.

It's an historical movie, it's not a fiction created out of thin air. There's so much you can play with.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Asking for the right apparels for the Spartans in 300 is far from being irrational. The movie is based on that. The fact that they fight a million soldiers(it was in fact much less than that in real life) doesn't bother me, but at least have a decency to research a bit for the costumes of your main subject.

It's an historical movie, it's not a fiction created out of thin air. There's so much you can play with.

It's not an historical movie... It's based of a historical event that is more mythical than real. Yes the Spartans fought at a large disadvantage and yes they all died there. It wasn't about making an accurate historical movie. There's books and documentaries for that, they wanted to bring epic to the general public.

And in term of epicness, there's nothing better in the last 100 years of movies.

Oh and you're missing quite a few historically accurate things like the way they fight (Phalanx), the spear, the shield and the xiphos are accurate in the movie. Also, you're stating that it's much less than the real life movie, yet herodotus himself estimated it at around the same number in the movie. Herodotus is the where the legends starts. It's actually based around that more than the actual true scientific modern days evidence. (5k vs 100k if I remember correctly).

Then there's the traitor after the first day of battle, thats true too. (Albeit it's not a mutant me thinks) Then there's the part about the 300 spartans (and a few hundred other greeks) that held the last stand which is also believed to be true.

Then there's the Immortals which are also a real-life force.

I tell you this movie is a lot deeper than you would think;)

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

It's not much about the childish antics in the movie or the wacky techs but the way they don't really dig into Marvel history. I mean, is it that hard to get Chris to do thor and some wimp to do the Dr Blake in the first one at least ?

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

It is irrational to demand surgical precision in accuracy of all movies based on historical events. Sometimes dramatization is a good idea.

There is a lot that they could play with, more than can fit in a single movie.

sventington

Sep 18, 2013
it seems reasonable to ask for correct costumes for the main fighting force being focused on in the movie. I wouldn't call that desire a desire for surgical precision. It is forgiving a lot of the other...aberrations without derailing the project.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
It's not an historical movie... It's based of a historical event that is more mythical than real. Yes the Spartans fought at a large disadvantage and yes they all died there. It wasn't about making an accurate historical movie. There's books and documentaries for that, they wanted to bring epic to the general public.

And in term of epicness, there's nothing better in the last 100 years of movies.

Oh and you're missing quite a few historically accurate things like the way they fight (Phalanx), the spear, the shield and the xiphos are accurate in the movie. Also, you're stating that it's much less than the real life movie, yet herodotus himself estimated it at around the same number in the movie. Herodotus is the where the legends starts. It's actually based around that more than the actual true scientific modern days evidence. (5k vs 100k if I remember correctly).

Then there's the traitor after the first day of battle, thats true too. (Albeit it's not a mutant me thinks) Then there's the part about the 300 spartans (and a few hundred other greeks) that held the last stand which is also believed to be true.

Then there's the Immortals which are also a real-life force.

I tell you this movie is a lot deeper than you would think;)

It's not that bad, but again, it's pretty easy to recreate what people wore back then accurately. I understand it's less good for marketing and badassness to have guys in armors instead of bare chests, but it saddens me to see them miss such an important component. It can't be too much to ask them to wear the accurate colors for the cape.

It's not like that will stop me from watching it, but it adds a little something when the creators work hard to make it look like it actually looked.

Could be that I'm asking too much...

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
It's not that bad, but again, it's pretty easy to recreate what people wore back then accurately. I understand it's less good for marketing and badassness to have guys in armors instead of bare chests, but it saddens me to see them miss such an important component. It can't be too much to ask them to wear the accurate colors for the cape.

It's not like that will stop me from watching it, but it adds a little something when the creators work hard to make it look like it actually looked.

Could be that I'm asking too much...

You're just being a history hipster. Stop and enjoy.

The movie was 19X better with Leonidas square chest and chiseled abs bursting through the screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad