OT: Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Watched "Taken" after have like 5-6 friends *****ing that I should watch it.

What an awful film lol.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
I just watched Episode 7 of True Detective last night so I probably missed all the talk about it already, but I'm very nervous (and excited) to see how it ends...I think it will be a more "conventional" ending than some people are hoping for, but that won't necessarily be a bad thing.

They're certainly giving some strong hints that Cohle either knows more than he's telling, or is lying about some things, or is more involved than we've seen, or something. So I'm very interested to see what his final role in all this ends up being. I haven't read any fan theories because I hate having that stuff in mind when I watch the show, but I still want to talk about it, heh.

I said it before but I'll say it again - hands down, one of the best single-seasons I've ever seen from any TV show. Since I don't usually watch a lot of dramatic series, I'd probably say it is the best that I've ever seen.

I know McConaughey & Harrelson are done after this one but does anybody know if the director and writer are coming back for Season 2? Have I already asked that? I feel like I could live with a new cast, but if those two are gone as well, there are going to be massive shoes to fill and I'm not very confident if they have to get replacements...

Also has anyone read Nic Pizzolatto's writing? Any comparison to the show?

kingdok

Jun 8, 2004
I just watched Episode 7 of True Detective last night so I probably missed all the talk about it already, but I'm very nervous (and excited) to see how it ends...I think it will be a more "conventional" ending than some people are hoping for, but that won't necessarily be a bad thing.

They're certainly giving some strong hints that Cohle either knows more than he's telling, or is lying about some things, or is more involved than we've seen, or something. So I'm very interested to see what his final role in all this ends up being. I haven't read any fan theories because I hate having that stuff in mind when I watch the show, but I still want to talk about it, heh.

I said it before but I'll say it again - hands down, one of the best single-seasons I've ever seen from any TV show. Since I don't usually watch a lot of dramatic series, I'd probably say it is the best that I've ever seen.
?

The performance of McConaughey is one of the best ever in any TV shows I have ever watched. Better then it's Orcar performance in Dallas Buyer's Club. Really surprised by him this year. He keeps getting better, I never thought he could pull off acting like this a couple years ago.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
The performance of McConaughey is one of the best ever in any TV shows I have ever watched. Better then it's Orcar performance in Dallas Buyer's Club. Really surprised by him this year. He keeps getting better, I never thought he could pull off acting like this a couple years ago.

Agreed. He's been a good in a lot of things in his renaissance (DBC, Killer Joe, Mud, Wolf of Wall Street) but I think True Detective might be his best performance yet.

Although you also have the advantage of getting to know the character over a span of 8 hours in True Detective as opposed to less than 2 for most movies...

Anyway yeah, he's electrifying. And the character is brilliantly written too.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
People expecting a bit TWEEST in True Detective are going to be so disappointed. And I'm going to love it.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Finally saw Her.

My spectrum of emotions was hit across the board. I still have to see 12 Years a Slave, but I now put this as the best of the Oscar contenders that I've seen thus far.

(SPOILER ALERT)

The speech about the "book" at the end of the film made me spill man tears, while the blue alien in the video game made me fall off my seat with laughter.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Finally saw Her.

My spectrum of emotions was hit across the board. I still have to see 12 Years a Slave, but I now put this as the best of the Oscar contenders that I've seen thus far.

(SPOILER ALERT)

The speech about the "book" at the end of the film made me spill man tears, while the blue alien in the video game made me fall off my seat with laughter.

I have to say that Her stayed with me longer than any other film I saw the past year. Layers of thought, speculation and sci-fi on top of a beautiful story.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Saw 'Crumb' the '94 documentary on cartoonist Robert Crumb.

Crazy crazy film. It slowly reveals itself to be quite disturbing in an odd way as it digs deeper into Crumb and his family's neuroses and pathologies.

It's a really great watch if you're into odd films. Lynch produced it. Directed by Terry Zwigoff who directed Ghost World and Bad Santa.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I tried to watch True Detective on my mac and it was a weak experience, I'm thinking of waiting for the blurray when I can watch it on a larger screen with better sound quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad