OT: Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

sventington

Sep 18, 2013
I hear that the King in Yellow is mentioned in True Detective. Is it a one off, or does it have more significance? I read it when I was in highschool and really liked it, so I am now mildly intrigued.

PhysicX

Nov 17, 2010
MTL
I hear that the King in Yellow is mentioned in True Detective. Is it a one off, or does it have more significance? I read it when I was in highschool and really liked it, so I am now mildly intrigued.

I can't say much, but it has significance in the first season. I've never been addicted to a show, until this brute from HBO.

Uber Coca

Apr 23, 2003
Montreal

I don't know much about the Yellow King, but it's been an important part of the story since the beginning. Cohle's quest revolves around it.

sventington

Sep 18, 2013
Thanks! I will have to look into it soon enough. I figured that collection of stories was too obscure to ever be brought to light in a manner like this, so I am pleased!

LastChancePrice

Dec 12, 2004
I kinda have atheory about maybe knowing who is this Yellow King in True Detective, well i have a litle doubt.

SPOILER:

In episode 5, when Hart and Rust go to the farm where the 2 guys , Hart seem to have a natural instinct of looking behind that door where he find the children. We then see again his impulsive temper as he blow up the head of the guy. Was he pissed because of the condition the childrens were or because it was simply because it was childrens laying back there? You see, Hart got Yellow hair, an impulsive temper... Oh well...its just something that i tough, that Hart might be the one....

Uber Coca

Apr 23, 2003
Montreal
I kinda have atheory about maybe knowing who is this Yellow King in True Detective, well i have a litle doubt.

SPOILER:

I don't know. I see him as one of the most ''human'' characters out there. Any emotional man will have a temper and his weaknesses are common amongst men. The fact that he has trouble keeping it in his pants aside, he showed kindness and is social compared to his partner. In this troubled world that is True Detective, he looks to be one of the most ''normal'' characters to me.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
There is no "Yellow King" in the way you guys keep thinking guys. Come on, there is no logical reason for Hart to be the Yellow King and associating his hair colour to him is a far stretch at best.

There is no TWEEEST at the end, that's partly why fan theories are so stupid and why great TV shows ought to avoid their fans like the plague. Community didn't and that's why it sucked after season2.

Uber Coca

Apr 23, 2003
Montreal
There is no "Yellow King" in the way you guys keep thinking guys. Come on, there is no logical reason for Hart to be the Yellow King and associating his hair colour to him is a far stretch at best.

There is no TWEEEST at the end, that's partly why fan theories are so stupid and why great TV shows ought to avoid their fans like the plague. Community didn't and that's why it sucked after season2.

While I tend to agree with you, part of the fun is also to play along. I find most of the theories stupid, but I like reading them because sometimes it challenges what you perceived was happening. Sometimes it doesn't.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
While I tend to agree with you, part of the fun is also to play along. I find most of the theories stupid, but I like reading them because sometimes it challenges what you perceived was happening. Sometimes it doesn't.

I read everything too but it's getting ludicrous, two episodes back everybody was CERTAIN that one of Rust or Marty was "The Yellow King" and the week prior, everybody was CERTAIN that the show would take on a lovecraftian horror-sci-fi twist.

It's so amateur.

ZARTONK

Headscratcher!
Jul 4, 2008
Montreal
Maybe it's a reference to the man in the yellow hat?!!!!!

man-in-yellow-hat-costume-300x275.jpg

But seriously, I only watched the first episode so far, I don't know what to think about it....

indohockeyfan

Feb 27, 2014
My first post, only made the account to recommend Spartacus, not sure if it was mentioned in the previous thread. But one of the greatest shows I've watched.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
My first post, only made the account to recommend Spartacus, not sure if it was mentioned in the previous thread. But one of the greatest shows I've watched.

I wasn't sure when I first started watching it, I thought the slow motion blood fest fight scenes were a bit exaggerated, but it finally grew on me and I enjoyed it. Lucy Lawless is boss and such nice breasts. :naughty:
Wouldn't call it the greatest, but it's pretty good.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
finished watching Control, it's about Ian Curtis, singer of Joy Divison. great ****ing movie, hilarious and tragic at the same time

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
watched the trotsky. i thought it was great

at a costume party
"there this woman named ayn rand, just told me you threw her out"

"yeah... and?"

"why?"

"this is a fascist free zone"

:laugh:

Last edited:

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
The movie Gravity is 90 minutes long.

Is that a layer?

Because orbits for many satellites and the space shuttle are 90 minutes long, and they refer to this in the movie.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
My Ender's Game review.

I finally caught this movie. I was hoping thet the reviewers and the fan consensus was wrong, as I love space opera and I wanted this to be excellent. After having seen this, I think it was not as bad as people say, but ultimately the stupidity in the script is too high for this to work.

Problems:
- Copying the Kobayashi Maru;
- harrison ford looks like he needs to sleep, and I don't get why he loved Ender so much from the get go;
- We think the bugs are coming back but then we learn that we are invading their home planet?
- asteroids and rings don't work like they do in the film; Also, using asteroids to fight battles in space is no longer original;
- In 50 years the human beings go from desperate defenders to having technological superiority and being able to project force across many light years?
- being "a third" is underdeveloped and should not be in the movie;
- Why the urgency to invade?
- all of the african american characters are dumb;
- You can't make a heat shield out of drones;
- The final battle was anticlimactic;
- All this time preparing to fight the bugs, and then no time spent fighting the bugs;

Grade: D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad