OT: Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingdok

Jun 8, 2004
Last thread at its limit, continue here.

I saw 12 Years a Slave last night. It was very, very good but I have to say I was expecting even more...

Heard good things about that movie. Mind telling what ''disappointed'' you, without spoiling anything?

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Heard good things about that movie. Mind telling what ''disappointed'' you, without spoiling anything?

It's not that I was disappointed, really...it was still a really good movie. But some of the hype leading up to it was calling it the "Schindler's List of slavery" so I was expecting something really monumental. It was more like a really interesting (and disturbing) story well told. Here's the review I wrote for it on the Entertainment board:

12 Years a Slave: 8.5/10
When the credits rolled, I found myself thinking that this is was more a great story than a great movie...even though it was a great movie. Does that make any sense? What I mean is that it didn't fall into many of the trappings of conventional cinema, and instead just focused purely on storytelling, and did that job extremely well - which made it a great movie too. But I have to say I was expecting a little more, given the effusive, borderline ecstatic praise the movie has been met with. I wasn't moved to tears and didn't have my belief system shaken to its core or anything that I associate with a really monumental film, as much as I enjoyed it. Maybe it's unfair to press those expectations on a movie just because of the hype it's gotten, but it's inevitable.
Chiwetel Ejiofor and Michael Fassbender were as good as advertised, as was everyone else (I was surprised watching the movie at how many "name" actors showed up). The music was actually an unexpected pleasure, a little unconventional but it worked really well.
The movie did give me a lot to think about, however. I mean, we tend to see slavery as a cut-and-dry "white owners, black slaves" situation, especially since that's its conventional portrayal in pop culture (and that was the predominant "arrangement", of course), but the movie did open my eyes more to the complexities of slavery - the different "levels" of freedom, ownership, and so on. And not only how blacks perceive whites and vice versa, but how blacks perceive blacks, which was interesting and important and not something I've ever really considered before.
Overall it's a very impressive work by Steve McQueen, light years ahead of the dreck that was Shame but still just a notch below Hunger in my book.

kingdok

Jun 8, 2004
It's not that I was disappointed, really...it was still a really good movie. But some of the hype leading up to it was calling it the "Schindler's List of slavery" so I was expecting something really monumental. It was more like a really interesting (and disturbing) story well told. Here's the review I wrote for it on the Entertainment board:
Interesting. I'll end up watching it when it goes to DVD. I'm not familiar with the work of Steve McQueen (at least not that one) but also heard good things about Shame. Plus I like Fassbender.

Avengers*

Shame was a good movie. Michael Fassbender is hung up like a horse :naughty:

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Interesting. I'll end up watching it when it goes to DVD. I'm not familiar with the work of Steve McQueen (at least not that one) but also heard good things about Shame. Plus I like Fassbender.

I can't recommend Hunger enough. Shame was almost a total miss for me, but I know some people liked it.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Just finished all the Walking Dead episodes. I love this show. I wish for a zombie crisis just like that and I could be the dude with the crossbow

sventington

Sep 18, 2013
Watched Frost vs Nixon last night. I had a hard time getting caught up in it. Nixon was such a loney and defeated man at that point that cornering him in an interview didn't feel all that impressive to me. Other than that the movie was fine. The guy playing Nixon seemed pretty good.

kingdok

Jun 8, 2004
Totally different genre but for those who like horrors, I've got around watching the 2009 australian movie ''The Loved Ones''. Pretty unique, awesome flow and very gory. Acting is so-so but editing and makeup compensates.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Watched Frost vs Nixon last night. I had a hard time getting caught up in it. Nixon was such a loney and defeated man at that point that cornering him in an interview didn't feel all that impressive to me. Other than that the movie was fine. The guy playing Nixon seemed pretty good.

What will make the movie better is watch the original interview

THEN you will see just how amazing the 2 actors were, especially langella

i actually enjoyed the movie more than i thought it would

frost died a couple weeks ago i believe too

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
1 episode left

MACHINE-GUN-GIF1.gif

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
1 episode left

MACHINE-GUN-GIF1.gif

honestly this season has been AMAZING and really didnt expect it to be after a lackluster couple others, sports sesh is the bombbbb lol

ken marino really saved it for me, ive been a big fan of his since childrens hosptial which i recommend EVERYONE should watch, its just hilarious, rob heubel and ken just steal the show, even malin akermans funny

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
So I'm done with Louie. Outstanding series, highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it. The duckling episode was magic and the New Year's eve ending was also quite memorable. Great stuff.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
So I'm done with Louie. Outstanding series, highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it. The duckling episode was magic and the New Year's eve ending was also quite memorable. Great stuff.

Louie was fantastic.

Watched The Way Way Back . Steve Carell totally out of his comedy comfort zone. Great cast and Sam Rockwell is genius. Pretty good movie too.

ThaDevilGirl

Every day is a day off
Oct 1, 2006
YUL
Louie was fantastic.

Watched The Way Way Back . Steve Carell totally out of his comedy comfort zone. Great cast and Sam Rockwell is genius. Pretty good movie too.

Watched it last week. Was a decent movie.

So, who's going to see The Hunger Games next weekend???

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
A Hijacking - a slow, tense, but fairly good movie

it's a dramatization of a Danish cargo vessel being hijacked by Somali Pirates off India and the cold negotiations held between the company CEO and the pirates for the safe return of ship and crew.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad