OT: Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Domenic

Jan 13, 2007
Calgary, AB
I need to get into a new TV drama series, need some suggestions. So far I have seen all of: Breaking Bad, The Wire, True Detective, Game of Thrones. Not a fan of the Walking Dead and I am having a hard time getting into the Sopranos. Any other good ones out there?

Season 2 of The Americans starts tomorrow, so you have time to binge watch season 1 before the new season really gets going.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
i wrote this huge thing on the terminators but the forum ate it so **** it: abridged version

1 is the best
4 is a ****ing joke

1 and 2 are close for me, but I give 2 the nod for the best. Hated no.3, just awful, was okay with 4.

poetryinmotion

Jul 12, 2011
1 and 2 are close for me, but I give 2 the nod for the best. Hated no.3, just awful, was okay with 4.

I must have watched the second one about a gillion times. So good. But they are almost different genres when comparing 1 and 2.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
the music, the final scene, the acting, the story for the time it came out (1967)...

the problem with classics like this is that they have been lampooned so many times that, even if you watch it for the first time, decades later, you feel like you've already seen it a hundred times.

everything has to be put in perspective no?

Yea but again it's not like there hasn't been other movies done with a similar subject matter before this. I think it's a case of the music making the film, basically.

Sure it's a product of its time, but sometime viewing it cold you can properly access what it was with no nostalgia or anything like that.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
Yea but again it's not like there hasn't been other movies done with a similar subject matter before this. I think it's a case of the music making the film, basically.

Sure it's a product of its time, but sometime viewing it cold you can properly access what it was with no nostalgia or anything like that.

i really don't know... maybe it's a chicken/egg thing. does it sound familiar because that movie made it familiar (the same way that animal house put the idea of ridiculously over the top frat parties in our collective minds, or the way that this is spinal tap made mockumentaries and faux-verite), or because it has been done countless times before that movie?

im just throwing this out there...

LastChancePrice

Dec 12, 2004
Love that show. I was never a fan of Matthew McConnaughey but he is great on this show.

Yop,a gree with you. McConnaughey change a lot the way he is acting. If you wanna see a performance as equal as True Detective, i recommand you watching Dallas Buyers Club. Its a must see.

nfs5217

Feb 6, 2014
I've heard nothing but praise for True Detective. It's now on my to-watch list. Does anyone have any recommendations on other crime series like that?

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
i really don't know... maybe it's a chicken/egg thing. does it sound familiar because that movie made it familiar (the same way that animal house put the idea of ridiculously over the top frat parties in our collective minds, or the way that this is spinal tap made mockumentaries and faux-verite), or because it has been done countless times before that movie?

im just throwing this out there...

Maybe not the "mother slept with the teenage guy" but the "parents don't want boy to be with/marry their daughter and try their best to separate the two" has been done to death. It's the source of every melodramas, this has been done for ages on daytime soaps, not to mention Romeo and Juliet.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I've heard nothing but praise for True Detective. It's now on my to-watch list. Does anyone have any recommendations on other crime series like that?

Ray Donovan. Season 2 in a couple of months. Liev Schreiber is outstanding.

LastChancePrice

Dec 12, 2004

I seriously havent seen a crime serie at that level. Tons of great series to watch, but for crime like, well, no. Some people claim that The Wire and Shield arent that bad, but they didnt get my attention like True Detective.

Sad there is only 2 episodes left :(

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
Yop,a gree with you. McConnaughey change a lot the way he is acting. If you wanna see a performance as equal as True Detective, i recommand you watching Dallas Buyers Club. Its a must see.

Great performance . He was also fantastic as Mark Hanna in Wolf of Wall Street. Smaller role but absolutely brilliant.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Sooo is he crazy or smart?

true-detective.jpg

WG

Sep 9, 2008
So, Survivor started tonight and happily the first person voted out was David ****ing Samson. Unfortunately he did not last to a challenge with swimming where he might have been eaten by a giant squid or anything.

GTFO tiny dancer. I projectile vomit in your general direction.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
black sails is pretty cool, (as opposed to the musketeers... :facepalm:)

the battle scene in the last episode is ****ing amazing

Last edited:

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
I decided to check out the pilot and second episode of Mixology. It's kept me interested but it's definitely not "good" but not obnoxious enough to be bad. Reminds me of Happy Endings, which I loved.

Hello Ladies is much funnier for instance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad