OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXVIII

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
I see that it aired in last July and is now available on demand. Looks like another mighty fine English import to look into. Tks for sharing.
I only got to it recently.

A few things here...

The soundtrack is unbelievable.

Michaela Coel (writer and the main character) is sick. Maybe that's what got me so impressed. The writing and casting is incredible here.

I watched both HBO and BBC One versions, and I actually prefer the HBO one. They're identical, except the soundtrack.

"All white walls... I see all white walls" - reflects the character in her journey much better IMO.

Oh yes, forgot to add that this is VERY much an adult show.

Last edited:
Reactions: Runner77

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
I was wrong.

After re-watching the first season of Barry last night I've come to the conclusion that it reigns far supreme to any other comedy noir. It is outstanding on all levels. I can't even find a single flaw in the script. It's as self-aware as any show I've ever seen. The script is so tightly wound yet it holds. Never seen anything like that before. The duality of the series is very apparent, but the theatre parts are what I love the most. Some real emotion there. This one is a masterpiece.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Well, just finished Warrior season 1 and yeah, pretty badass. I thought it’d be typical stereotypical Kung fu crap but it’s actually well done and like the often used term, “onion”, the characters have layers to them. There was even some character development with minor characters which impressed me.

Very different action also compared to Into the Badlands which I also liked.

Reactions: ArtPeur

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
A friend sent me an installment of this show,new? don't know how many there are. Enjoyed it,was interesting and funny.

ResidentAlien_S1_1920x1080_KeyArt.jpg

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
A friend sent me an installment of this show,new? don't know how many there are. Enjoyed it,was interesting and funny.

I've seen the commercials and wasn't sure what to make of it. I might check it out as I don't have very many comedies on my watch list since Modern Family ended and I'm waiting for the next seasons of Ted Lasso, Barry and Shameless to come back in March.

I was planning to check out Young Rock though.

Reactions: angusyoung

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I've seen the commercials and wasn't sure what to make of it. I might check it out as I don't have very many comedies on my watch list since Modern Family ended and I'm waiting for the next seasons of Ted Lasso, Barry and Shameless to come back in March.

I don't go out of my way to watch anything,but when someone sends me something or a solid suggestion from an entrusted source,will check things out.
The first installment we all enjoyed it and had our share of laughs,but TETO of course.

Reactions: sandviper

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Why the hell did it take me so long to see the movie "Warrior"? I watched it yesterday and was crying like a drunk teenage girl at the end...Thank god my kids and girlfriend were not around at the time :laugh:.

What a fantastic movie.

Reactions: Redux91

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

How'd you like Ted Lasso?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Resident means Habitant.

Allen = close enough to "alien", usually plays like one.

So we get ...

ugJzhDR.jpg

Last edited:

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
How'd you like Ted Lasso?

Initially I didn’t like it. It started a little slow for me and seemed very “typical” fish out of water type of story. However, it grew on me as I continued to watch. Jason Sudeikis is very good and shows a lot more depth than I’m kind of used to seeing from him. It’s also surprisingly upbeat and to be frank, given how much the world kind of sucks right now, the show cheers me up.

Chemistry between the cast members is really good and you’ll learn to care about all of them. As a non-soccer fan, the show was very watchable and digestible.

Reactions: Fenris and Runner77

ClasslessGuy

May 10, 2010
Chelsea, QC
Re-Watched creed 2 now that it's on netflix.

It's a good movie, the rocky vide is there.

SPOILERS

Only thing is, not sure about the ivan drago and wife situation and mother russia turning her back on them story line, no way that this dad would've thrown the towel lol

Curious to see what the plot will be the the 3rd movie.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Watched Honest Thief (2020). Pretty sure I have head trauma now, what a stupid plot that was. :ha:

davey999

Mar 9, 2004
Watched 4 part doc on NF called "Vanishing at the Cecil Hotel". Creepy, weird, and very interesting. Drags a tad, but worth it.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I think I'd be a real pain in the ass to live with on a gorgeous island and marooned with those two.:sarcasm:

Tina Louise, the last one still alive from that bunch. To think that the show only lasted 3 seasons. It was ranked 20th in ratings in the final season, it shouldn't have been cancelled however, the wife of a CBS executive wanted Gunsmoke back on air and that caused CBS to can Gilligan's Island to free up a spot. What a shame.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Tina Louise, the last one still alive from that bunch. To think that the show only lasted 3 seasons. It was ranked 20th in ratings in the final season, it shouldn't have been cancelled however, the wife of a CBS executive wanted Gunsmoke back on air and that caused CBS to can Gilligan's Island to free up a spot. What a shame.

When's the last time you saw an episode of the show? not easy to watch now. As a kid, sure, but don't know whom the target audience was then. Gunsmoke was definitely geared for adults although I only saw those shows in reruns. Peate probably knows:jk:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
When's the last time you saw an episode of the show? not easy to watch now. As a kid, sure, but don't know whom the target audience was then. Gunsmoke was definitely geared for adults although I only saw those shows in reruns. Peate probably knows:jk:

I watched a show last month actually. Of course, the whole thing is silly but the cast worked so well together. It's more of a nostalgic trip than anything.

Yeah, keep mentioning @peate -- he's not going to like it. He's a low-key guy who doesn't like too much attention. You're playing with fire, busterino. :laugh:

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
I watched a show last month actually. Of course, the whole thing is silly but the cast worked so well together. It's more of a nostalgic trip than anything.

Yeah, keep mentioning @peate -- he's not going to like it. He's a low-key guy who doesn't like too much attention. You're playing with fire, busterino. :laugh:
It's all good, I can easily handle anything you can throw at me. :laugh:

Gilligan was a silly show, but the audience was more tolerant for that type of comedy, Munsters, Addams family, Hillbillies, etc.. Not as sophisticated as today.

Gunsmoke had its moments, but I wasn't a fan, more into Bonanza. Dagnabbitt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad