OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXVIII

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I've been a diehard fan of the franchise since I've been a kid, so there's a lot to like for me. Final scene of the final episode of the season is a situation everybody sees coming a mile away, but because of the musical treatment and how meaningful it is to the story, it is extremely strong.

Some characters walk into the dark side, some walk into the light. Loose ends gets tied. Humorously, puberty came and hit some of the younger actors like a truck, while some of the oldest ones we haven't seen in a long time have aged like fine wine.

To anybody that liked the movies, I recommend the series, and to anybody that liked Seasons 1-2, I definitively recommend Season 3.
Man, one day after release and you're finished? Talk about 'No mercy'! I'm half way through the season, just watched episode 5 -- great episode! -- and I agree it's really good so far.

I'm in that Larusso/Laurence age range; I saw the film in its first run and loved it. Personally, I love watching guys my age kick ass (literally) as action heroes. It's their story I care about. The rest of the show's focus on the kids looks like a more athletic Saved By The Bell.

Reactions: aresknights

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
In Bruges was fantastic, even more so because nobody knows it exists. It has one of those stories that sneaks up on you with unexpected depth. And the cast... Brendan Gleeson raises the value of every film he's in and Colin Farrell is vastly underrated as a leading man. Plus it has Ralph Fiennes, who is maybe the best supporting actor on the planet outside of Christoph Waltz.

Fiennes is the BEST PART of In Bruges lmao.. great dialogue throughout (as is the case with McDonaugh) but the best HAS to be this bit between Gleeson and Fiennes lmao:

Ken: Harry, let's face it. And I'm not being funny. I mean no disrespect, but you're a ****. You're a **** now, and you've always been a ****. And the only thing that's going to change is that you're going to be an even bigger ****. Maybe have some more **** kids.
Harry: [furious] Leave my kids f***ing out of it! What have they done? You f***ing retract that bit about my **** f***ing kids!
Ken: I retract that bit about your **** f***ing kids.
Harry: Insult my f***ing kids? That's going overboard, mate!

I cant stop laughing everytime i picture Fiennes losing but still calling his kids ****s lmao

McDonaughs on quite a roll honestly, from In Bruges to Seven Psychopaths (for any Sam Rockwell fans) to 3 billboards outside ebbing Missouri which was such a treat of a movie and even got Rockwell his long deserved Oscar

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
I too will once again, add my thanks to @GoodKiwi . I just finished watching all the Cormoran Strike mini series. I particularly enjoyed the last one (4 episodes) as there were several moments of great suspense and tension -- this is what happens when a story is so well spun and performed -- you get emotionally invested in the characters. I forgot I was watching a crime series.

These Lethal White episodes are very particular. It's not full-out suspense and action all the time -- there are several quiet, slow-paced moments. Those are not boring, in fact they set a pleasant atmosphere. They allow you to take stock of the characters and enjoy the many beautiful locations, as you formulate theories of who did what. I can't say more without giving up too much but let's just say, it reminded me a lot of how older crime series were done. There was a certain charm to every episode and the two main characters are so likeable that you just want to see more of them.

Will there be a 5th series? I certainly hope so.
Unknown at this point. The production/filming hasn't started yet.

If I was a betting man I'd say it's 75/25 for that we'll see it.

Reactions: Runner77

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Watched 12 years a slave yesterday. Enjoyed it, although I feel like the movie was longer than it ought to be. Quite a few lengthy scenes/shots that I felt didn't bring much to the table and it starts to add up to the runtime.

I thought the acting and script were flawless; not surprised it earned an Oscar for best picture. I was a bit annoyed by the soundtrack though, felt very repetitive and Hans Zimmer straight up CTRL+C/CTRL+V the Inception score, which I loved originally, but felt a bit lazy the second time around.

Some parts of the movie truly are hard to watch. Obviously, I had a general idea of what it was about, but didn't know it was based on a true story. Insane, albeit not exactly surprising.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Watched Emily in Paris after a radio host claimed it was one of his favorites from last year. Well, it won’t be one of mine. Pretty cliched and stereotypical experience of an American in Paris who can’t speak French. The main actress is also annoying AF.

Reactions: dinodebino

ForeverHabs97

May 11, 2013
Canada
Watched Emily in Paris after a radio host claimed it was one of his favorites from last year. Well, it won’t be one of mine. Pretty cliched and stereotypical experience of an American in Paris who can’t speak French. The main actress is also annoying AF.
I heard she's Phil Collin's daughter
Wonder if its true

Edit: It is

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I heard she's Phil Collin's daughter
Wonder if its true

Edit: It is

Yup. Plus, her mother's an actress.

Collins was born in the U.K. in Guildford, Surrey, but moved to Los Angeles when she was 7.
She has famous parents—musician Phil Collins and actress Jill Tavelman.

Last edited:
Reactions: angusyoung

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
The whole story is kind of weird. What some of these kids are doing is actual assault and crimes and everyone is too stupid or proud to go to the police. It's like they're 16 real olds in california who are afraid to snitch. Its mind boggling.

They are all criminals and some of them borderline psychopath. You don't watch Cobra Kai for a flawless and well crafted plot.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
The whole story is kind of weird. What some of these kids are doing is actual assault and crimes and everyone is too stupid or proud to go to the police. It's like they're 16 real olds in california who are afraid to snitch. Its mind boggling.

The entire plot hinges on characters being incredibly stupid to create unnecessary drama.

Also, it's like commercial rental contracts don't exist in California. One guy steels a business simply by convincing the landlord to remt to him. Then the landlord tries to enforce a supposedly lawful eviction using goons? Wtf?

Still, I like it

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Been binge watching Mad Men during my holidays, I know I’m waaaay late to this party but I’m loving it.

Just finished S3

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
Wonder Woman 1984: 4/10 Pretty bad stuff. the only reason to watch that movie is if you have morbid curiosity and want to witness the car crash.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Wonder Woman 1984: 4/10 Pretty bad stuff. the only reason to watch that movie is if you have morbid curiosity and want to witness the car crash.

I wonder if the surperhero movie craze is ever going to end. For every good one, there's three bad movies that come out, and yet Marvel and DC alike keep raking up the cash.

Reactions: angusyoung

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
So I just discovered Letterkenney. Watched 2 seasons. Pretty funny. Wish they had anywhere else other than crave though.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I wonder if the surperhero movie craze is ever going to end. For every good one, there's three bad movies that come out, and yet Marvel and DC alike keep raking up the cash.
If they keep making more movies like WW84 and less like the Avengers....ya...it'll fade.
It was such a bad movie, even the graphics looked completely unrealistic. Really looks like they used 1984 technology to film it.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Here's a movie no one has talked about on this forum: Uncle Frank.

It's a compelling family story, set in 1969. Some truly great performances in this, especially by the actor playing Wally, who just lights up the screen as well as well as Beth Bledsoe, the inquisitive and level headed adolescent who we follow into adulthood and from whose perspective, the story is told.

An underlying fragile family dynamic rears its ugly head and has profound reverberations but most don't know the source. This is juxtaposed against an idyllic backdrop of hot summer days, a simple life in a rural setting and its God-fearing, bible adhering community.

I just found that all the pieces worked well together, it just flowed beautifully until the end.

This has got to be one of the best movies of 2020, just strikes all the right notes.

Also featured is an actress I saw extensively in The Americans, Margo Martindale, who always does what she does best -- the understanding matriarch. Which reminds me, I should probably watch The Americans again, one of my favorite all-time series.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad