OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
You SOUND like spider jerusalem for christ sakes lol, Im a big fan of Warren Ellis, good taste

There are some movies you just need to be in a theater for, Nolan makes such films lol. To have seen any of his films post Insomnia NOT in a theater is an absolute missed opportunity for any cinephile imo, but thats just me!

Personally I wished i had seen The Prestige in theaters, thats the one I had missed

Its funny, for me the only film Nolan has EVER let me down on was Batman 3 lol, but the standards were practically unreachable after TDK, I mean how do you top that...

That's a huge compliment! SJ is one of my favorite all time characters. The truth at all costs. The parallels you can draw from today's political landscape to the Beast/Smiler dynamic in Transmet is frighteningly accurate, imo.

Ellis really is a rare breed in that industry. If you're a fan, I'd even recommend his novels Gun Machine and Crooked Little Vein.

Completely get you on the cinema experience, which is why my basement has a 120 inch projector set up with a pretty wicked surround sound system. The theatre experience can be really awesome but you gotta hope others around you aren't gonna f*** it up, which is optimistic given my last few trips to scotiabank theatre on st cats.

I also thought Batman 3 was a mess. I saw it in theatres when it came out and never felt compelled to give it a second glance. Never found Bale's batman/bruce wayne to be likeable.

Reactions: Redux91

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Because you're a fan of Kubrick.

And as far as Odyssey goes, it's far behind the Rama series. Would be great if Fincher finally gets to make it.

To be fair, Kubrick deserves author credit on the novel, whereas Clarke had nothing to do with the film. I'll have to check out the Rama series. Not much time to read these days but I've been wanting to tackle the Foundation series when I get a chance.

Even if you're not a kubrick fan, you gotta admit the shining >>>> king's shitty pulp novel.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Anyone see Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas? It's a 1998 film starring Johnny Depp and Benicio Del Toro, but many others who would later become stars of their own.

Clip I saw gave me the impression of a hallucinogenic experience with no beginning, nor end. It was just moving crazily in all kinds of directions, distorted all sense of reality.

Lots of bad reviews, film appears to be kind of disheveled. Is it worth looking into?
It's a fun viewing. Get high first, makes it even better.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
To be fair, Kubrick deserves author credit on the novel, whereas Clarke had nothing to do with the film. I'll have to check out the Rama series. Not much time to read these days but I've been wanting to tackle the Foundation series when I get a chance.

Even if you're not a kubrick fan, you gotta admit the shining >>>> king's shitty pulp novel.

Author credit, but the book started from The Sentinel novela and imo, the book just offers a better, more complete experience, as most books do.

Foundation... you mean Asimov? I re-read the Robot series a few months back and wanted to get back to foundation, which I haven't read in a quarter century. I barely remember the series, just little details.

As for Shining, despite reading plenty King/Bachman books, I never got around to the book.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Just watched S1, Episode 1 of Ramy (Hulu).

Got interested in seeing the show following several interviews I've seen Ramy Youssef give with late night show hosts, the last one with Trevor Noah this past week. He's the main character, he's one of the co-writers and one of the producers of the show. He's a charismatic, likeable guy in real life so I thought I'd give it a try.

Premise: Ramy, the son of Egyptian immigrants, is on a spiritually conflicting journey in his New Jersey neighborhood, pulled between his Muslim community that thinks life is a constant test, his millennial friends who think life is full of endless possibilities, and a God who's always watching.

I thoroughly enjoyed that first episode, it really took off from the middle. You plunge into a world that is fraught with contradictions and beliefs. Some of the themes are not unfamiliar, like how the son of first generation immigrants is in perpetual conflict between what his parents and religion are have and are influencing him about and the liberalism and different values from the environment he grew up in.

Ramy looks believable and there were several twists that were hilarious.

There was enough there to keep me going for more. Trevor Noah was very complimentary of the show, FWIW.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Anyone see Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas? It's a 1998 film starring Johnny Depp and Benicio Del Toro, but many others who would later become stars of their own.

Clip I saw gave me the impression of a hallucinogenic experience with no beginning, nor end. It was just moving crazily in all kinds of directions, distorted all sense of reality.

Lots of bad reviews, film appears to be kind of disheveled. Is it worth looking into?

I liked it quite a bit.

You have to be a fan of Hunter Thompson, who wrote the book and started Gonzo journalism. Either that, or a fan of drug induced fantasies, as the movie is itself a hallucinogen.

It's not the greatest movie, but it's a classic because of its uniqueness and honors a unique excentric writer.

From the little I know of you, I think you won't like it.

I’m not a fan of either, but... see above

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I'm hooked on Ramy. Just finished Episode 4, it was completely out of whack -- unexpected and surprising.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Total Recall was also better than We remember it for you wholesale.

Most KDick books are better as movies.

Minority Report too.
Agree 100%. PKD is a great conceptualist (is that even a word?) but a mediocre writer.

Wife and I just finished bingeing Man in the High Castle, which was based on his novel. Didn't read it (though it won a Hugo) but the show was really good.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
All depends on ones own preferences if not going by critically acclaimed,I liked Jaws better than the book.
Agreed. The book was great, but it took some unnecessary detours, like the subplot with Brody's wife. Spielberg's depiction was a brilliant laser-beam of suspense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad