OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Jeeze... he goes back so much further than that. First movie I remember seeing those famous eyebrows was in Splash, a mermaid movie with Tom Hanks and Darryl Hannah. That was somewhere in the 80's!!!

Definitely , but I can only speak for movies that were part of pop culture when I was growing up which was primarly as of the 90s ;).

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Great ratings on that. What did you like about it? Are both seasons on Netflix?

Yes, they are.

It reminds me of Heroes and Heroes Reborn, but as a dysfunctional team/family, with more time travel. So I'm kinda biased since time travel is my favorite kind of scifi.

A strong cast, including our very own Colm Feore and Ellen Page.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I had been watching Suburra, am a few episodes into Season 2. Reminds me a bit of Gomorrah, it's quite bloody, lots of betrayal and mobster coercion.

At one point, the killings just became overwhelming -- while the police is either inexistant or they act like keystone cops. I was hoping to get through it so I can move on to something else as I've had more than my fill of gratuitous killing. I'd like to envision an end game or one that justfies all these killings so far and I don't see one now. I hope it changes otherwise, I'll just bail.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Is Dark worth watching?
/ assuming you’ve seen it

I quit mid first season. Always wanted to go back to it. I know it ends being much different, but the start of it seems to have the same exact canvas as Stranger Things. Switch dimension jumping with time jumping and a darker premise with older kids. The whole thing starts off almost the same. One kid disappears, mom is looking for him. Even her conversation with the town cop goes about the same as with Joyce and Hopper. The cop too is one of the main characters, like Hopper. He looks like the lovechild of Mads Mikkelsen and Matthew McConaghey (if such a thing could exist!). The kid's disappearance is linked to some facility where strange things happen. I swear it's as if someone in Germany (if i remember correctly) got an early script of stranger things or vice versa.

Last edited:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I had been watching Suburra, am a few episodes into Season 2. Reminds me a bit of Gomorrah, it's quite bloody, lots of betrayal and mobster coercion.

At one point, the killings just became overwhelming -- while the police is either inexistant or they act like keystone cops. I was hoping to get through it so I can move on to something else as I've had more than my fill of gratuitous killing. I'd like to envision an end game or one that justfies all these killings so far and I don't see one now. I hope it changes otherwise, I'll just bail.
Enjoyed those shows. Those Italian mobsters don't mess around.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Enjoyed those shows. Those Italian mobsters don't mess around.

Season 2 is getting better as I’m moving forward. Yeah, those guys are pretty ruthless. Friendships are so easily compromised.

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
I've been on another movie kick lately. Idk why it took me this long to come to HF's Finest. Give me your favourite movies that I should watch, any genre. (not stuff like Shawshank and American Psycho that we've all seen already though)

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
That's it? That's all it took for her to get a Netflix special? Lip-synch on Twitter and Tik Tok and you're a comedian.

The bar to entry has been lowered yet again. Good for her.

She was a stand up comedian before the Tik Tok videos. Those videos are obviously what put her on the map. But she was already a stand up comedian.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
You never quite know what prompts your big break.

Indeed. Her Trump videos are brilliant. But this special will show if she really is good.

She did guest host Jimmy Kimmel Live the other day. She did a good job. But they did use the Trump impressions and spoke about Tik Tok. But I don't blame them for using it since this is her first gig and they will give the viewing audience what they want with her there.

But a special is a different animal.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
I have now watched 36 episode of black and white Perry Mason. That DA is a very optimistic guy since Perry has been solving the murder at every trial! Yet every new episode Burger (yes that is his name) thinks he will send Mason's client to the gas chamber!!

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
My partner and I used to watch Matlock reruns every day, was funny seeing him as a lawyer after so many years as Andy the Sherrif. Same deal as Mason, would solve every case the investigators could never solve. :huh:

Isn't it true?

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
My partner and I used to watch Matlock reruns every day, was funny seeing him as a lawyer after so many years as Andy the Sherrif. Same deal as Mason, would solve every case the investigators could never solve. :huh:

Isn't it true?

Check out ''murder she wrote'' an old busybody that's not in LE and solves all the murders! I think all ''murder'' shows crimes get solved. :)

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Started watching Money Heist. Am at S1, Episode 4 -- pleasantly surprised so far. Spanish original with English subtitles.

Reactions: groovejuice

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Coming back to my Perry Mason. In over 40 episodes I have yet see someone wearing seatbelts or saying "No thanks, I don't smoke". They all seem to smoke and I am surprised they don't smoke in the courtroom.

Edit: They also have the same actors come back in other roles which is a bit strange at times.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad