OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

angusyoung

start the party!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I have thought of visiting, you can not drive there. For me it would be Alaskan Air and fly to a town not that far away and from that town you either get a boat ride or one of those floatplanes. They have accomodation in log cabins or a larger dwelling. There are several places and platforms to watch them. Some big boars like ScareD Bear never goes to the side where the humans are, some are almost too used to humans. Here's Holly with the adopted cub 503 and her own princess bear 719.

Is it Kenai?

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
upload_2020-6-25_14-5-12.png

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
According to these safari guides (I follow these live as well) the hippo and the croc kill the most people in Africa. If there is a hippo around they go large circles around it when they do they walking on foot safaris. If they meet Ellies as they are called they go to a higher elevation. Elephants if they go into attaching mode can obviously do the most damage given their strength but they are less aggressive normally. These guys are used to animals but I bet he needed a change of undies after this.

Edit: It starts about a minute into the video.

or here when one of these tourists started staring at a young elephant bull and the elephant felt challenged. I keep laughing because the guy with the camera keeps laughing, it's the same guy who whispers: "It's another boy, a big boy!"

Johnny Knoxville has graduated to Jackass: Safari Edition?

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
I follow some lions as well, here is one of the Avoca brothers. There are 3 brothers who took over the Djuma and Buffelshoek area in 2018 and they are in their prime right now. Imagine camping in Africa and hearing this? Most likely one of his brothers called Blondie is the other male lion that roars, they are never far from each other. The 3rd brother, the biggest of them and called Dark Mane but currently with a broken front foot so he mainly stays in Buffelshoek . They have 14 cubs growing up under their protection and they have been really good fathers, so that even when they steal food from the females they let the cubs come and eat. :)

angusyoung

start the party!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I follow some lions as well, here is one of the Avoca brothers. There are 3 brothers who took over the Djuma and Buffelshoek area in 2018 and they are in their prime right now. Imagine camping in Africa and hearing this? Most likely one of his brothers called Blondie is the other male lion that roars, they are never far from each other. The 3rd brother, the biggest of them and called Dark Mane but currently with a broken front foot so he mainly stays in Buffelshoek . They have 14 cubs growing up under their protection and they have been really good fathers, so that even when they steal food from the females they let the cubs come and eat. :)

I'll take my chances camping out rather than the possibility of getting whacked in the streets there. Kapstadt went over 3,000 for the year!:eek:

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
I'll take my chances camping out rather than the possibility of getting whacked in the streets there. Kapstadt went over 3,000 for the year!:eek:

At least if you were camping in Capetown. But if you are rich you would have guards and stuff. Here are Blondie (to the right) and Mohawk serenading a Scottish guide. It's pretty impressive the sound they can produce.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
:laugh: Sounds like my friends boat!:thumbu:

Blondie is one of the most beautiful lions that I have seen, he had a crippling injury for months when he got an injured hip taking down a buffalo. The females need the help of the males when taking down dangerous prey like buffalos and if you get a horn straight into your hip even though you are a lion it will take some time to heal. He is OK now. He caused quite the stir when he ended up on an observation deck for tourist staying at the resort. He was trying to kill a hyena, she managed to escape to an area where he was too big to get in so he climbed on the the observation deck which is very close to where tourists sleep. Somebody wrote: "This is no place to go sleepwalking in"

At 3 minutes something you'll see a human walking about then the camera scans and move to the right and at 03:25 you'll see something that looks like lights, that is Blondie. He still had that injury because you can see that he runs with a limp. This is a 24 hour cam showing the waterhole and with voluntary camera handlers working electronically from home.

angusyoung

start the party!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Blondie is one of the most beautiful lions that I have seen, he had a crippling injury for months when he got an injured hip taking down a buffalo. The females need the help of the males when taking down dangerous prey like buffalos and if you get a horn straight into your hip even though you are a lion it will take some time to heal. He is OK now. He caused quite the stir when he ended up on an observation deck for tourist staying at the resort. He was trying to kill a hyena, she managed to escape to an area where he was too big to get in so he climbed on the the observation deck which is very close to where tourists sleep. Somebody wrote: "This is no place to go sleepwalking in"

At 3 minutes something you'll see a human walking about then the camera scans and move to the right and at 03:25 you'll see something that looks like lights, that is Blondie. He still had that injury because you can see that he runs with a limp. This is a 24 hour cam showing the waterhole and with voluntary camera handlers working electronically from home.

Pretty lucky to be able to survive that long,guess no rivals in the territory,or he has a brother or some sons in the pride that help guard?

I was appalled when they took Cecil.
images

I check that feed on occasion also

Webcam in Djuma Private Game Reserve

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Pretty lucky to be able to survive that long,guess no rivals in the territory,or he has a brother or some sons in the pride that help guard?

I was appalled when they took Cecil.
images

I check that feed on occasion also

Webcam in Djuma Private Game Reserve

I agree about Cecil, they put meat on a truck and threw pieces of it to get him out of the national park where that dentist from MN shot him. All the great reviews his dental office got after it happened.

There are 3 Avocas, the only one of them that was healthy at this time was Mohawk. Both Dark Mane and Blondie had injuries. The thing is that it is almost always nomads taking over lion prides and they get a bit scared by the sound of 3 large males in their prime because they can't hear on the lions roarings if they are injured. To them it sounds pretty scary and they probably say something like: "Sh*t Guys!, let's get the h*ll out of here, wherever those who make that sound are, I don't want to meet them". Here is Dark Mane a couple of days just after getting his injury with his broken foot. It looks really bad but he is much better now as well.

Last edited:

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
:laugh:

That reminds me of my black bear encounter on Vancouver Island. Riding my bike and come around a corner face to face with a bear. I don't know who was more scared. He took off and I turned around and pedalled like mad.

That happened to me with a big moose bull, apparently he ran the other direction but while doing so he made a sound and I thought it was him coming after me. I have never biked so fast on a gravel road before.

Reactions: angusyoung

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
That happened to me with a big moose bull, apparently he ran the other direction but while doing so he made a sound and I thought it was him coming after me. I have never biked so fast on a gravel road before.
I'd be more scared of the moose. The bear wasn't very big, he just surprised me as I wasn't expecting a bear in a semi-residential area. But those buggers can move fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad