OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXV

Braun

Apr 17, 2014
Montreal
While this is true, where you can sign up say when Mandalorian finishes, there’s more to the service depending on what you’d like.

For people, young and old alike, who are simply into everything Disney, clearly this appeals to them.

For those, perhaps like me, who is ok with Disney in general but more for the Marvel and Star Wars, it becomes problematic. Sucks we can’t binge, but it makes sense as well from a business standpoint. Even if you decide to cancel, sign up, cancel and so on, it’s going to be a pain in the ass.

Also have to keep in mind, Mandalorian isn’t the only Star Wars show the service will have. Furthermore, there will be another season of Mandalorian.

As for Marvel, this is going to be interesting. They say their TV shows will tie into movies more tightly, especially now that Feige oversees all things Marvel. This is going to be annoying for those who only watch the movies because depending how intertwined it is, you may miss things if you don’t watch the show.

Anyhow, end of the day, I’m not yet a subscriber to Disney+ and not sure if I will. However, their business model seems sound to me.
My only request is that they bring The Punisher back with Jon Bernthal.

Reactions: sandviper

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
If it's not too much trouble, would you mind adding the source of where you watched those suggestions? Would save us some searching.

Jojo Rabbit is in theaters right now. A really solid movie by Taika Waititi the director of Thor : Ragnarök. Good score, acting and cinematography. It's funny and moving at the same time.

For The Body (2012) made by the same director of the invisible guest and Mirage (both solid movies) you will need to do the searching alone.

Antigone: 6.8/10 This year pick to represent Canada in the Oscar race. Average movie.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Jeopardy James just walked away with another quarter million by winning the Tournament of Champions.

Crap. I wish I had known he was on.

Good for him.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Goddamit now Runner77 is gonna make 50 posts about Jeopardy.

source.gif

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Yea, once I saw the teaser of him putting that mask on, I was like "Aw Yea!"

I got so hyped when I saw the few clips of "What If...?" That looks real good. Zombie Captain America, T'Challa as Star-Lord, Peggy Carter as Captain Carter and scrawny Steve Rogers as Iron Man. The animation looks amazing.

Whoa! I just watched a trailer and the animation looks fantastic. I love animation and I am testing Disney Plus for 6 days just to see what classic Disney animation available. When I was a kid I went to something called a Matinee , lots of kids (no parents) watching classic adventure films, actors like Error Flynn, Basil Rathbone, Laurel & Hardy etc. Those matinees always had a short animation before the main event and those great Donald Duck cartoons, Mickey Mouse, Goofy, Pluto. I love those, Silly Symphonie for instance. It might be worth restarting my Netflix subscription.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Without getting into the politics of one side or the other, if you're a political junkie or even just curious, the Impeachment Inquiry being broadcast on all the US news major networks, is quite interesting. I've been DVRing it from the beginning and is probably the best way of taking it in since the testimonies and questions can be quite lengthy. Of course, all of it is followed by immediate analysis and then later, several shows breaking it all down and featuring some of the inquiry's actors to provide further insight.

I've always enjoyed watching major hearings and this one features its lot of drama, including during this morning's testimony, where you have real time interventions occurring outside of the hearing room and which are receiving immediate attention at the hearing. Fascinating and riveting.

Just get that Fat F*** in prison.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Has anyone here seen Ford and Ferrari? It got good reviews from critics that I somewhat trust like Kenneth Turan of the LA Times and I haven't gone to a movie for a while.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Has anyone here seen Ford and Ferrari? It got good reviews from critics that I somewhat trust like Kenneth Turan of the LA Times and I haven't gone to a movie for a while.

Saw it yesterday afternoon. One of the better movies I’ve seen in quite some time regardless of genre. Damon was good but Bale was excellent. All the actors were good actually and I enjoyed Bernthal’s performance. The race scenes were also spectacular.

I don’t know much about the actual history of this and I do suspect they took a lot of creative liberties but regardless I was very entertained. This is also coming from someone who is not into cars at all. Solid 8/10.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Saw it yesterday afternoon. One of the better movies I’ve seen in quite some time regardless of genre. Damon was good but Bale was excellent. All the actors were good actually and I enjoyed Bernthal’s performance. The race scenes were also spectacular.

I don’t know much about the actual history of this and I do suspect they took a lot of creative liberties but regardless I was very entertained. This is also coming from someone who is not into cars at all. Solid 8/10.

I used to be a real car geek and the history of Leman always had a soft spot in my heart. I used to watch every Leman race for hours. How would you compare it to Rush?

Is Berhntal playing his same role as usual ? Does he make a deep guttural roar when hes angry and intense like he does in every movie hes ever been in? Does he have his usual line where he says "Yeah... you think its that easy" while shaking his head frantically?

Jeez I hate John Bernthal.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I used to be a real car geek and the history of Leman always had a soft spot in my heart. I used to watch every Leman race for hours. How would you compare it to Rush?

Is Berhntal playing his same role as usual ? Does he make a deep guttural roar when hes angry and intense like he does in every movie hes ever been in? Does he have his usual line where he says "Yeah... you think its that easy" while shaking his head frantically?

Jeez I hate John Bernthal.

Actually I found Bernthal rather subdued. Definitely not Frank Castle or Shane from TWD.

I liked Rush, but I found this a better movie. Maybe it’s me but I found it less about the characters when compared to Rush because they spent a lot of time “talking cars”. Keep in mind though, as I said I’m not a car guy, but I wasn’t bored by the car talk at all.

Like I said, not just a good race movie, but just a good movie overall. Maybe I’m a little jaded though as I saw Joker and Dark Fate for my previous two movies.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Here we go with Season 7 of Ray Donovan. Première tonight.

Those storylines have long become repetitive. Will they be able to come up with something completely unexpected this time round?

Reactions: Braun and sheed36

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
The Unicorn : Sitcom starting Walton Goggins, Rob Corddry, et al.
Interesting premise of a widower getting back in the the dating game, egged on and manipulated by his friends. Great cast. There. That's the only redeeming quality. Milquetoast, barely funny, not clever. Disappointing.

Mrs. Fletcher: HBO Follows the sexual reawakening of a woman with AHs exhusband and son. Smart and poignant. Great watch.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Although formulaic and totally within the mold of what Donovan has offered in past seasons, I still enjoyed this season’s premiere. Maybe I did cause I’m a fan of the character and the show, we’ll see.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I also thought the Ray Donovan season opener was appealing, although the denouement was telegraphed from early on in the episode. Still, good reason to be optimistic about the remainder of the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad