OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXV

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
Jack Ryan season 2: 7/10 good action show

The Kominsky Method season 2 : 7/10 decent show and a quick watch

An Elephant Sitting Still : 6.5/10 decent story but the lenght is ridiculous. To stretch what should have been an 1h45 movie to nearly 4 hours is pure Madness.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Have you given the Mandalorian a shot? Looks pretty good. Great cast. It's the main reason I'm considering subscribing

I found a **** stream only to watch that show. I'm halfway in and I really like it so far

So many easter eggs and they're staying true to the legends stuff

It's like watching a Far West show in a Star Wars theme

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I saw a screenshot of Baron Zemo's new mask for the upcoming Falcon and The Winter Soldier show. Looks awesome and pretty true to the comics.

Yea, once I saw the teaser of him putting that mask on, I was like "Aw Yea!"

I got so hyped when I saw the few clips of "What If...?" That looks real good. Zombie Captain America, T'Challa as Star-Lord, Peggy Carter as Captain Carter and scrawny Steve Rogers as Iron Man. The animation looks amazing.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
#Barry1

The effects of the war. Which leads to problems of personality. Therapy like theater can be the solution.

#Barry2

Looking for a way to escape of a noxious lifestyle. And to be a better person.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
#Barry1

The effects of the war. Which leads to problems of personality. Therapy like theater can be the solution.

#Barry2

Looking for a way to escape of a noxious lifestyle. And to be a better person.

Amazing show. Had no idea about Bill Hader being such a good actor and a creative force.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Yes it was, but even the camp was poorly executed.

nah I was joking about Romero. Batman tv series was amazing. Very well executed camp. Great writing. Burgess Meredith is just brilliant as the Penguin. You just can not beat those old Hollywood character actors. Penguin calling Robin 'Boy Bromide' after a typically dumb Robin line was just great. Again those old TV writers were pretty much novelists who wanted to make money. People seem to think TV and (even Movies) have 'evolved' and it's all uniformly linear but I really disagree. There's a certain magic to the old stuff that isn't quite there anymore. A certain je ne said quoi I guess. Sure HBO and Netflix are changing the game but there's a certain sense of literariness (if not in content but form) and theatricality that informed the older stuff which gave it a bit more of a formal richness even if it was more or less pablum content wise.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Learn to torrent, bro!

I haven't used any torrents for almost 10 years now haha
I have Netflix and Prime at home (I'm not even paying for them, someone else does) but I don't feel like paying for Disney+ right now. I actually kinda hate all those streaming services.

._.

Anyway, the first episode was really great and I'm excited about the next ones!

Reactions: Tim Wallach

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
nah I was joking about Romero. Batman tv series was amazing. Very well executed camp. Great writing. Burgess Meredith is just brilliant as the Penguin. You just can not beat those old Hollywood character actors. Penguin calling Robin 'Boy Bromide' after a typically dumb Robin line was just great. Again those old TV writers were pretty much novelists who wanted to make money. People seem to think TV and (even Movies) have 'evolved' and it's all uniformly linear but I really disagree. There's a certain magic to the old stuff that isn't quite there anymore. A certain je ne said quoi I guess. Sure HBO and Netflix are changing the game but there's a certain sense of literariness (if not in content but form) and theatricality that informed the older stuff which gave it a bit more of a formal richness even if it was more or less pablum content wise.
Kinda like watching 80s hockey games, the cinematography has evolved over the decades (and goalies have vastly improved) but the overall entertainment value hasn’t and talent has been watered down. More often than not I’ll dig out an old DVD to watch rather than most anything new on TV or movies.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
#TheSkinILiveIn

Science. Human body. Revenge. Obsession. It makes me answer to some philosophical questions. Is there a limit? Plot twists to make that short.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Just noticed Shadow (directed by Zhang Yimou) is out on Netflix. Not a Yimou fan, nor a fan of Wuxia cinema to be quite honest, but I liked this one quite a bit.

Ying-700.jpg

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
I found a **** stream only to watch that show. I'm halfway in and I really like it so far

So many easter eggs and they're staying true to the legends stuff

It's like watching a Far West show in a Star Wars theme
I watched the episode today. Really liked it. Was caught off guard with it being so short but the production is excellent and it did a nice job capturing the classic star wars feel. It was light on plot but Rome wasn't built in a day. It's promising

Reactions: Braun

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
I watched the episode today. Really liked it. Was caught off guard with it being so short but the production is excellent and it did a nice job capturing the classic star wars feel. It was light on plot but Rome wasn't built in a day. It's promising

I don't know if they follow some plot-line for all episodes or if each episode has its own plot. Anyway, that droid, IG-11, I would have loved to see him on the show for the whole season

Reactions: DangerDave

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I saw a screenshot of Baron Zemo's new mask for the upcoming Falcon and The Winter Soldier show. Looks awesome and pretty true to the comics.

I'm still pissed that they changed his origin, though. I wished they would have changed this character's name before Civil War to do a proper Zemo down the line. Would have been interesting to see a young man being introduced to a secret society of Nazis in Germany and told that he is the descendant of the original WW2 Zemo and they want him to lead a new Reich and so he become the new Zemo.

About The Mandalorian, I think it's like the perfect concept to not screw things up. It's simple, a Bounty Hunter reminding people of Bobba Fett who does bounty hunting things and act badass. It's really hard to dislike. And there's no big continuity to follow.

Reactions: ArtPeur

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I would have finished it by Sunday had they done that lol. I get why they didn't. Everyone would have used the free trial and cancelled right after.
so I don’t see the point of paying for this service... why paid for 2 months or even a year when the original content can be watch in on day 8 weeks from now. I’ll be cancelling after the trail and sign up again one all the content is available watch it all an de cancel again...
basically everyone has already seen all the Star Wars and Marvel movies and there is plenty of on demand content for kids on cable or other service. It nice to have but I Don’t think it is worth paying a extra service year round if you already have a combination of cable, Netflix or prime or HBO.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Without getting into the politics of one side or the other, if you're a political junkie or even just curious, the Impeachment Inquiry being broadcast on all the US news major networks, is quite interesting. I've been DVRing it from the beginning and is probably the best way of taking it in since the testimonies and questions can be quite lengthy. Of course, all of it is followed by immediate analysis and then later, several shows breaking it all down and featuring some of the inquiry's actors to provide further insight.

I've always enjoyed watching major hearings and this one features its lot of drama, including during this morning's testimony, where you have real time interventions occurring outside of the hearing room and which are receiving immediate attention at the hearing. Fascinating and riveting.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Jojo rabbit: 8/10 My favorite movie of the year so far.

The body: 7.8/10 good thriller .

Honeyland: 7/10 decent documentary.

If it's not too much trouble, would you mind adding the source of where you watched those suggestions? Would save us some searching.

Reactions: groovejuice

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
so I don’t see the point of paying for this service... why paid for 2 months or even a year when the original content can be watch in on day 8 weeks from now. I’ll be cancelling after the trail and sign up again one all the content is available watch it all an de cancel again...
basically everyone has already seen all the Star Wars and Marvel movies and there is plenty of on demand content for kids on cable or other service. It nice to have but I Don’t think it is worth paying a extra service year round if you already have a combination of cable, Netflix or prime or HBO.

While this is true, where you can sign up say when Mandalorian finishes, there’s more to the service depending on what you’d like.

For people, young and old alike, who are simply into everything Disney, clearly this appeals to them.

For those, perhaps like me, who is ok with Disney in general but more for the Marvel and Star Wars, it becomes problematic. Sucks we can’t binge, but it makes sense as well from a business standpoint. Even if you decide to cancel, sign up, cancel and so on, it’s going to be a pain in the ass.

Also have to keep in mind, Mandalorian isn’t the only Star Wars show the service will have. Furthermore, there will be another season of Mandalorian.

As for Marvel, this is going to be interesting. They say their TV shows will tie into movies more tightly, especially now that Feige oversees all things Marvel. This is going to be annoying for those who only watch the movies because depending how intertwined it is, you may miss things if you don’t watch the show.

Anyhow, end of the day, I’m not yet a subscriber to Disney+ and not sure if I will. However, their business model seems sound to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad