OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXV

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
They all feel short, the last episode is like 37min but there like 2 min of recap and 5 min of credits... might be why I prefer episode 1 it felt longer, but I think it is that shout-out scene was better/believable than the one from episode 3

Recaps for a show on a streaming service... Some producers really need to get their heads out of their asses. It's 2019, not 1999.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
And since we're gonna be talking Star Wars for the next few weeks... I just couldn't resist looking up all that supposedly leaked stuff regarding Rise of Skywalker.

Good lard if any of this is even remotely true, we are in for quite a pile of hot garbage, courtesy of Jar Jar Abrams and his master level ADHD.

At this point, they're not even killing Star Wars anymore (Force Awakens and Last Jedi did a very good job for that). It's more like desecrating a dead body.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Recaps for a show on a streaming service... Some producers really need to get their heads out of their asses. It's 2019, not 1999.

The show is only getting released one episode/week, it's not like some other stuff that gets released all at once

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
The show is only getting released one episode/week, it's not like some other stuff that gets released all at once

In my view, the point of recaps was to make sure you could keep up if you missed one or more episodes. Or if you start watching mid-season. All of that doesn't make an ounce of sense anymore with streaming.

So... I guess some people need a recap for something they've seen last week?

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
In my view, the point of recaps was to make sure you could keep up if you missed one or more episodes. Or if you start watching mid-season. All of that doesn't make an ounce of sense anymore with streaming.

So... I guess some people need a recap for something they've seen last week?

That's a bit my point. I've watched other things in the last week, I don't remember everything. It also gets me back in it more smoothly. Anyway, most shows still have those recap stuff even the new ones on Netflix, Prime, etc... but they you may skip them.

Anyhow, is it better if episodes feel too short... or too long? :)

Reactions: Runner77

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Watched WOLFEN (1981)

A rich developper break ground to create a bunch of new buildings in NYC and he and his wife and bodyguard gets murdered. Coroner says no weapons were used. Of course animal hair were found on the victim. Other bodies are found in NYC but this time they are of homeless people and similar traces of animal hair. Detective has this analyzed by an animal expert who says it's wolf hair but it's wolves that have been instinct ages ago by settlers. At the same time there are native Americans suspected of involvement(although I don't remember why). And a woman who is part of a terrorist organization who is family of the developper that was killed. Of course supernatural stuff happens but you'll have to watch it.

The story is a bit of the cliche idea of the coming of the white man and his effect on the wild life including animals, native Americans and so forth. But the exectution is really good, it doesn't hit you over the head with stuff. Best part is the character and acting of a younger Albert Finney as the detective who gets more and more immersed into this thing. He gets into the native community who teach him about this "Wolfen" thing and what this is all about.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
New movie with Mark Ruffalo, Dark Waters, based on a true story, looks promising: A Chilling True Story of Corporate Indifference

I think it's going to be out the first week of December.

So I get to shamelessly plug a documentary, just like that? The Devil We Know is the story on how DuPont/3M poisoned the world, literally, and got away with it.

Disclaimer: It's actually pretty revolting and the docu will probably put most people in a bad mood.

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
Season 2 of Sneaky Pete is okay so far. The best part of it is Luka Delchev. “My father teach me everything I know about business. He was fishermen from small village.”

Bryan Cranston was good in S1 though.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
I'm so hooked on Bosch right now. Also, though Goliath was going to be amazing after season 1, good god what happened? Different writers? 2 was.. ok, 3 is just a mess.

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
the crown season 3: 7.5/10 good season

Undone season 1: 7/10 Good animation show with Bob Odenkirk

Never look away: 6.5/10 The movie is kind of a mess despite having some quality it never reach his potential.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
I'm so hooked on Bosch right now. Also, though Goliath was going to be amazing after season 1, good god what happened? Different writers? 2 was.. ok, 3 is just a mess.

Bosch is pretty strong. They did a good job of changing his age, and they are respectful to the books but not caught up in being absolutely faithful.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Bosch is pretty strong. They did a good job of changing his age, and they are respectful to the books but not caught up in being absolutely faithful.

I like Bosch a lot. One of the reasons is the casting of Titus Welliver. He is not a prototypical leading man outside of that marvelous voice. A very well written police drama.

Reactions: Runner77

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002

Its really enjoyable. Again, not sure what happened to Goliath, its garbage now.

Any other shows like Bosch out there?

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
I had a big weekend

Joker : I thought it was very good, people got my hopes down after the massive success in festivals but I just really enjoyed that movie, JP was incredible but that is to be expected by now. Solid movie

First Man : man idk, Whiplash and La La Land are 2 movies I absolutely love, and both are on my 5 star list... First Man was just ok, it wasn't a bad movie by any mean but it didn't feel like much of anything. The last thing I would expect from Chazelle at this point would be for him to make a bland movie but he did exactly that, a good, competent but forgetable movie

I then rewatched La La Land and Rebel Without a Cause the next day :laugh:

DubDub

Jul 11, 2017
The Boy's!! This is the only show you need to watch. Favorite show of 2019 imo.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Decided to pop in Your Name (2016), directed by Makato Shinkai.

Your-Name-Ribbon-625x352.jpg

It's not a perfect film, not even close. While I enjoyed the soundtrack, it can be repetitive at times, and the plot does go a touch haywire towards the end. The animation style is gorgeous, but perhaps not as absorbing or "soulful" as Studio Ghibli's stuff. Ending was, perhaps, too obvious.

But obvious is not always a bad thing.

8/10

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad