OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
man this discussion is kinda pointless since most of the popular versions of Batman aren't that expressive anyway, Pattinson can be an ok Batman regardless of his range or no-range

It'll all depend on the direction and idk if Matt Reeves is the guy you want to get this garbage truck on fire back on the right track, that's the real worry

The acting skills it's not that important in certain situations esp. regarding super-heroes to me. Cause leading men and character actors do not fill the same need. For a leading men in adventure/action movies, the important thing is charisma, likeability, charm(and good looks helps too). George Clooney in his best days was not the man with enormous range but you couldn't take your eyes off him, you hire someone like that to lead your movie, especially in that style. A caper like Ocean's 11 was just perfect(he was wrong for Batman though).

Like you said really maybe Batman doesn't have to be a big acting tour de force depending of the style you want to carry through. The important element though is his ability to be convincing at being a dangerous, scary guy that can take anybody out. I don't see it with Pattinson.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Been watching Billions...Anybody else watching? I loved the first season, but find its going off the rail after.

I dont get the divorce. That came out of nowhere..just because he lied about his shrink?..
And all this scheming by Chuck to put Axe in jail, even if it means doing illegal things himself. Planting and forging evidence?
Wtf..Hes corrupted himself and his office...what's the point after..

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Yes actually. I always felt that both Bale and Keaton had rage inside of them. They played more than a few intense guys. Bale was winning in all the fan polls as to who should be the next Batman before he was picked. If it had been 10 years ago, my guy would have been Jon Hamm but anyway...

ViggoMo, tant qu'à ça?

They're doing a young Bruce...

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
The Lighthouse (2019)

Pattinson's new movie where he shines.

BuT hE wAs iN tWiLiGht.

Well so was Michael Sheen...

He did a good job in The Lost City of Z in a secondary role. In fact i did not recognize him at first. I realized like midway thru the movie it was him. NOt sure he can do Batman though. He's always looking like he is depressed or something. I think he'll do better than Affleck.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
He did a good job in The Lost City of Z in a secondary role. In fact i did not recognize him at first. I realized like midway thru the movie it was him. NOt sure he can do Batman though. He's always looking like he is depressed or something. I think he'll do better than Affleck imo.

My personal beef is I think he lacks the proper charisma to play Bruce Wayne.

If we're going with Pattinson, maybe we'll have Zack Efron as Robin :laugh::nod:

Reactions: Runner77

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
My personal beef is I think he lacks the proper charisma to play Bruce Wayne.

If we're going with Pattinson, maybe we'll have Zack Efron as Robin :laugh::nod:

To be fair Bale did too. I think the director of the next Batman will be a lot more important than the actor playing Batman. I think Nolan was way more important than Bale. I like Bale but without a good director there's nothing he can do.

Snyder being the director of the Batman Affleck played in was a lot more detrimental to them than Affleck. I think Snyder is a vastly overrated director. The guy **** *** these days. He did good at the beginning of his career with 300 and Watchmen but lately he has been awful.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
The acting skills it's not that important in certain situations esp. regarding super-heroes to me. Cause leading men and character actors do not fill the same need. For a leading men in adventure/action movies, the important thing is charisma, likeability, charm(and good looks helps too). George Clooney in his best days was not the man with enormous range but you couldn't take your eyes off him, you hire someone like that to lead your movie, especially in that style. A caper like Ocean's 11 was just perfect(he was wrong for Batman though).

Like you said really maybe Batman doesn't have to be a big acting tour de force depending of the style you want to carry through. The important element though is his ability to be convincing at being a dangerous, scary guy that can take anybody out. I don't see it with Pattinson.
Depends which ones. The standard ones like Batman and Superman aren't super expressive. Some like Deadpool, Wolverine, Guardians and Iron Man need an actor with certain range or comedic timing.

For the record I think Pattinson will be fine. He won't be the reason the movie sucks (it probably will). People give him a hard time because of twilight but he's really not too bad

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Depends which ones. The standard ones like Batman and Superman aren't super expressive. Some like Deadpool, Wolverine, Guardians and Iron Man need an actor with certain range or comedic timing.

For the record I think Pattinson will be fine. He won't be the reason the movie sucks (it probably will). People give him a hard time because of twilight but he's really not too bad

In the case of Iron Man, really the current role and style was defined by Robery Downey. But if they had gone with comic-book Tony Stark who is a more a business tycoon type they would not need a guy from the actor's studio. Just would need a good leading man who imposes a certain respect. Like a younger Timothy Dalton. Even Wolverine, you just a damn badass, put claws on Statham and it would be fine.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
In the case of Iron Man, really the current role and style was defined by Robery Downey. But if they had gone with comic-book Tony Stark who is a more a business tycoon type they would not need a guy from the actor's studio. Just would need a good leading man who imposes a certain respect. Like a younger Timothy Dalton. Even Wolverine, you just a damn badass, put claws on Statham and it would be fine.
You have a point with iron man being generic in the comics. I do have to say that the reason he's such a loved character in the movies is precisely because of RDJ.

And Wolverine is a very dramatic character. Not everyone could have done what Jackman did in Logan. Especially not Statham. Similar to Iron Man, Jackman is an important part of Xmens success.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Happened on A Discovery of Witches by pure chance as I was channel surfing HBO. I didn't think I'd like it but it has kept my interest.

Am on Season 1, it feels like a Harry Potter for adults but with a smaller cast mixed with a touch of Outlander. Pace is slow. It's dark but also filmed that way, so it creates a certain mood. It's about demons, witches and vampires. Some parts are kind of cheesy, way too many romantic scenes between the same characters. Worse part is the pop music they're throwing in there during adult scenes.

Not sure what to make of it, some of it is holding my attention. Not the adult scenes, they're fairly benign. There is some intrigue about the occult. Maybe zombies and aliens are going to appear at some point -- several characters have powers but not sure how they came to have them or what they all are.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
To be fair Bale did too. I think the director of the next Batman will be a lot more important than the actor playing Batman. I think Nolan was way more important than Bale. I like Bale but without a good director there's nothing he can do.

Snyder being the director of the Batman Affleck played in was a lot more detrimental to them than Affleck. I think Snyder is a vastly overrated director. The guy **** *** these days. He did good at the beginning of his career with 300 and Watchmen but lately he has been awful.
Disagree. Bale in American Psycho and the Machinist showed how good and dedicated he could be. He had range.

Affleck was a terrible match. Dont mettre ego the director would have been, that wasnt going to work. Just like Clooney, just like Patterson will be.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

Dude... you're worst than the GoT duo of Weiss and Benioff.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Dude... you're worst than the GoT duo of Weiss and Benioff.

That was a GOT-type turn from you I did not expect. :laugh:

You get different sort of actors for different needs.

Like when Chris Nolan picked Christian Bale for Batman, Nolan needed a character-actor to fill the demands of what he wanted his character to do. But he could have picked a straight man for it, someone limited maybe but who would have given the character a sense of credibility and dread maybe. Like Steve McQueen sure was not Brando but he had a great machismo movie presence and brought a lot of credibility to every roles.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
#Old Man Alert no. 2

Well, the main guy on that show that "old" people watch, well he's a fan of this team:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad