OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
They're hyping the return of champion James on Monday. These past two weeks have been rather weak in comparison.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
That's why I say it must have been improvised. If this was the plan from the beginning, or heck, even just 2-3 seasons ago, then they could have developped that storyline so easily. Instead they just pulled it out of nowhere.

Right (most) of her stuff has been organic except with this year. Yet I read someone saying that D & D knew this was going to happen with Dany from George. So how did they not plan this properly is crazy. I heard they had two years to plan this season...? Something is not right. It feels like someone caught right handed like a kid learning he has a huge school paper to give to the teacher the next day when he has nothing done and has to rush everything and skip important elements.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Based on how things have transpired so far this season (GOT), I gotta say, I'm not really looking forward to the final episode. I anticipate the story moving along quickly at the beginning to allow for time to wrap things up.
- dany killed, or flies home on dragon
- snow declines throne
- gendry claims throne, arya by his side

Before this season, i thought the battle with the WW would tie in directly to the battle at KL. Instead, the battle was fought and done with. They hinted that the tired army wasn't ready to go to KL, that it would somehow impact the battle there, but it didn't. The army was none the worse for wear. Even the Dothraki seemed to recoup their numbers (didn't most die?).

Such an intricate story, yet most of it didn't factor in to the final outcome. What was the point of the WW? Bran and the 3 eyed raven? What was the point of all of Arya's training - just to play fight Brienne and sneak up on the NK?
Instead of it all tying together at the end, it's just rushed.

In retrospect, Dany didn't have to assemble an army. She could have just flown to KL on her dragon and taken over the Red Keep / throne.

About tying the two events, an idea would be to have Dany's conquest happening in Season 7. The Mad Queen stuff happens there. Then it's Night King stuff for Season 8, the good guys loses at WF and the WW go straight to KL and it's a Fire & Ice confrontation.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Small changes just over EP 5 and a little before.
- when the dragon is shot down over the water, have Dany circle around behind the fleet and destroy it then and there. The fleet and sword fight on the beach were useless in EP 5.
- in the battle, have Dany and dragon destroy the scorpions and open the gates, then set her sights on the Red Keep.
- Cersei, in the window of the Red Keep, defiantly stands face to face with hovering Dany and dragon, using herself as bait.
- scorpions are revealed in adjacent windows, and fired, wounding the dragon. This is where Dany flies about in a rage, burning what she can.
- Cersei is flushed out to take cover. They run into Arya and the Hound. Battle between the brothers, and Arya dispenses the 4 guards, then kills Cersei.
- if there's a plan for Dany, let her survive the fall. Otherwise, let her fall under her dragon. A fitting way to die, rather than a revenge stabbing.

/ EP5

Never understood why Cersei didn't have hidden scorpions near the Red Keep. Even behind her where she was standing by the window. So that when Dany is about to get close to her and burn her, Cersei step aside and the scorpion is activated and the spear goes through Drogon.

She could have had something arranged in the Throne room too like wildfire. If Dany enters it would be rigged to explode.
[/QUOTE]

Reactions: Ozmodiar

Guilliam

Jul 30, 2010
Montreal
About tying the two events, an idea would be to have Dany's conquest happening in Season 7. The Mad Queen stuff happens there. Then it's Night King stuff for Season 8, the good guys loses at WF and the WW go straight to KL and it's a Fire & Ice confrontation.

Exactly. The NK should have been the ultimate vilain anyway. It's the only thing that would have made sense after 7 seasons of teasing with the winter is coming stuff.

Last edited:

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
More than 360,000 angry Game of Thrones fans petition for remake of final season

https://www.ctvnews.ca/entertainmen...petition-for-remake-of-final-season-1.4424958

500 thousand now. I wonder if it will get close to one million. If they do it, start at Season 7.

Just for those who arent aware lol, but the Prequel Series for Game of Thrones will be tackling the whole White Walker origin, so thats basically why it seemed so "abrupt" for Season 8.

Everyone keeps demanding answers for the WW arc, well we havent gotten them because its the foundation of the next series. It will probably focus on the first "Long Night" as its culmination, Whole thing should focus heavily on the Starks of previous generations and the true origins of the White Walkers.
s

If that was their strategy then good luck because at this point not many people will want to watch the new show and they made the WW such a big joke. Like if the WW/NK have such an interesting story it doesn't matter cause we know the last time we'll see the NK will end up becoming a mute bore slayed by freakin Arya. :laugh:

Last edited:

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I don't get the link. Robert defeated the Targaryens. In many ways Jon being Heir to the Throne should not even be a thing.

Maybe you should read the post i replied to?

It said Jon would refuse the throne, hence he would be recognized as Aegon, hence Robert's rebellion would be delegitimized. But then he went on saying Gendry would get the throne. But how does that work if Aegon's story is known and Robert's rebellion is known for the sham it was???

The point is, his theory makes no sense.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Just for those who arent aware lol, but the Prequel Series for Game of Thrones will be tackling the whole White Walker origin, so thats basically why it seemed so "abrupt" for Season 8.

Everyone keeps demanding answers for the WW arc, well we havent gotten them because its the foundation of the next series. It will probably focus on the first "Long Night" as its culmination, Whole thing should focus heavily on the Starks of previous generations and the true origins of the White Walkers.

Having said all that, they still should of made the last 2 seasons 20 episodes... For everyone cast and crew to have given so much for 6/7 years to see it ALMOST fall apart at the end...ONLY because of pacing.. it looks like it will be forever a slight blemish on otherwise great series

Would you watch a show about the WWs? I don't think I'd waste much time on it.
It didn't ''seem'' abrupt, it was. There was no depth to the story, but who cares now because he dies in such a pointless stupid way. Who cares about his generals, we know that they barely do anything. It seems they were just put in place because it looks good. It's pretty badass to see an army of White Walker Generals, extremely strong and powerful, organized, structured, with the NK leading...but then, they barely do anything in the end. So what the hell is the point?

Let's draw a contrast with Breaking Bad and Saul? If you've watched those series..?? Don't want to give anything away in case you didn't, but the way the ended their show, a prequel to Saul made sense and was very interesting. But for the WWs...as they ended it...what's the point???

If they show that the WWs aren't dead, or that the NK has been resuscitated...I guess maybe there could be something. Make it a sequel, not prequel, and in that series you can do a full season of going into the past to explain the origin and what transpired in GoT.
But as it stands, I don't see the point in doing an origin piece.

Reactions: the valiant effort

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Exactly. The NK should have been the ultimate vilain anyway. It's the only thing that would have made sense after 7 years of teasing with the winter is coming stuff.
8 years...they still hyped it up over the first two episodes this year. It was all about the NK coming.

That's what I don't get. Since season 1, it's been pretty clear that 1) Cersei is the evil bitch, and 2) WWs will be the biggest threat whenever they get there.
So..compare it to a video game, the NK is like the Final Boss, Cersei is the one just before.
Now they decided that this was always about the Throne, hence the title of the show, so they made Cersei the Final Boss. No problem with that, except that's not the narrative they pushed through the entire show...They just rendered it all useless.
I thought it was already bad, and lazy writing. It's like they thought they needed to make Dany's army weaker so when she gets to King's Landing, well they have to make the battle more even. In the end though, Dany just destroyed everything in 5 minutes with her Dragon....so what the hell was the point. To make matters worse, nobody even killed Cersei!!!!! A building collapsed..lolll

Ayayay! Nothing makes sense! It's like they're purposely making it bad.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Maybe you should read the post i replied to?

It said Jon would refuse the throne, hence he would be recognized as Aegon, hence Robert's rebellion would be delegitimized. But then he went on saying Gendry would get the throne. But how does that work if Aegon's story is known and Robert's rebellion is known for the sham it was???

The point is, his theory makes no sense.

Well, he wouldn't refuse the throne in an official ceremony with a sworn statement "I, Aegon ...".

He'd just walk away, and those close to him would keep the secret. Varys' letters go nowhere. Tyrion dies or benefits by becoming the Hand, etc...

In any event, can you explain to me how the rebellion being a sham affects his status as heir. is it as simple as: the rebellion was for the wrong reasons, so even though you're a descendent of the King, your status as heir is void. I'm sure I missed some details along the way.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
If Val Kilmer, George Clooney and Ben Affleck could be Batman, I guess anyone can be Batman. Hey. Can I be Batman too?

I am Batman /Christian Bale's voice

Reactions: sandviper

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Never understood why Cersei didn't have hidden scorpions near the Red Keep. Even behind her where she was standing by the window. So that when Dany is about to get close to her and burn her, Cersei step aside and the scorpion is activated and the spear goes through Drogon.

She could have had something arranged in the Throne room too like wildfire. If Dany enters it would be rigged to explode.

After initially watching Cersei blow-up the Sept, I though wildfire would be her trump card. Take the city hostage by having caches of wildfire everywhere.

So when she gets into her first meeting with Dany, she'd ask her, "when you flew overhead with yoir dragon, did you happen to see a big crater in the middle of the city? That was me and if you try to take over this city, that's how KL will look like afterwards"

Reactions: Kimota

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Well, he wouldn't refuse the throne in an official ceremony with a sworn statement "I, Aegon ...".

He'd just walk away, and those close to him would keep the secret. Varys' letters go nowhere. Tyrion dies or benefits by becoming the Hand, etc...

In any event, can you explain to me how the rebellion being a sham affects his status as heir. is it as simple as: the rebellion was for the wrong reasons, so even though you're a descendent of the King, your status as heir is void. I'm sure I missed some details along the way.

Gendry's claim is illegitimate because Robert's rebellion wasn't either. FFS the Targaryens built that city and kingdom. There's a huge difference between their claims.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Gendry's claim is illegitimate because Robert's rebellion wasn't either. FFS the Targaryens built that city and kingdom. There's a huge difference between their claims.

Roberts grandmother is a Targaryen. It was used in the books to legitimize his claim. Well, House Baratheon is a Targaryen family branch, but that's another story. If Jon refuses the throne, Gendry is one of the next in kin.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
If Val Kilmer, George Clooney and Ben Affleck could be Batman, I guess anyone can be Batman. Hey. Can I be Batman too?

I am Batman /Christian Bale's voice

I thought the disappointment I felt when Affleck was named Batman was bad (though I admit it ended up being unfounded as Ben was decent), recent news have definitely soured me.

For GoT, if anyone is tired of using spoiler tags, feel free to speak freely here: OT: - Game of Thrones SPOILER Discussion - Here be tales of SPOILERS and drinking giant’s milk!!!

Keep in mind I asked for that thread to be merged into this one end of the month.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017

Does that really matter? Is that how it works? - we overthrew your monarchy, but in retrospect, the reason wasn't really that great, so we have to give it back.

Seriously, is this some accepted rule in the story that i missed, or just your opinion on the way it ought to be?

It seems to me that the son of a King should be heir, regardless of how the King came to power.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Does that really matter? Is that how it works? - we overthrew your monarchy, but in retrospect, the reason wasn't really that great, so we have to give it back.

Seriously, is this some accepted rule in the story that i missed, or just your opinion on the way it ought to be?

It seems to me that the son of a King should be heir, regardless of how the King came to power.

Good god... the entire show is based on legitimacy of claims. If Robert's rebellion becomes known for the sham it was, no one in the 7 kingdom will accept Gendry's rule, especially not the rulers of those 7 kingdoms. They had 300 years of peace before the mad king. That's the legacy of the Targaryens.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
This is far worst than the Affleck call. At least Affleck fitted very well physically. Looked like Bruce Wayne.

Pattisson... is just wtf?

Sparkly boy

I can't wait to see Kristen Stewart as his main lover (or batgirl, catwoman, poison ivy)

:snide:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad