OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Watched Joker for the first time tonight. Too many thoughts are still rushing through my mind so be able to say anything cohesive about the film.

There's one thing that can't be debated IMO - Phoenix' performance as Arthur Fleck is unbelievable.

So much so that I keep trying to justify the most horrifying acts of violence we see him carry out on screen. The complete madman he is speeding toward becoming throughout the film, I felt like I... understand? His emotional fragility is so profoundly tragic that it almost makes me want to overlook and forgive him for everything else. His rise from pitifulness is really something to behold. Yet the climax fell flat for me (even as insanely good the car scene was). I don't fault the movie for that in the slightest though, I think it's just a testament to how emotionally draining everything that led to that was. It was almost like I felt glad that Arthur found some release and relief from all that was haunting him before. And I then knew he would be alright and felt at ease for him.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Did you play hockey? Manhandling taller soft guys on a regular basis tend to be a good therapy for that ;) Some of those big guys are softer than butter. I'm 5'6 BTW and you would be surprised by the amount of guys smaller than me in normal life ;)
Where I live we don't have many people shorter than me. 5'4" and packing 180, skating is harder when you got 20 LBS too much. When I was at 163 and rock climbing I was in really good shape. My 40's are really kicking my a$$ though. Less willpower and your metabolism goes out the window. Most of my friends over the years have been 6' plus.

I laugh when I hear people say "I'm a runt! I'm only 5'10" and all my buddies are taller than me" On a short dude forum. Either you are trolling or have no idea how to read a tape measure. Dating sucks being short, and reaching for certain things. A lot of stuff is designed for the average of 5' 9-1/2". And reaching down is easier than finding a stool. Lucky for me I have a long reach 168 inches. So monkey arms lets me reach the top shelf...just.

On topic, liked The Boys, but would rather Karl Urban do a TV series for Dredd. I have been waiting for the third season of Dirk Gently, but its possible it won't happen given netflix. Also looking to Season 13 of MST3K. Been watching that for close to 30 years and still tickles my funny bone even on a rewatch of the 17th time.

Oh recommend Tubi. I got it on my small Toshiba TV for the bedroom. Really enjoy the content they show. Lots of older stuff you don't see elsewhere.

Last edited:

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Ok, guys, about Ad Astra, saw it today..

If you left the movie with a sense nothing happened and it was pointless, well, you just don't get the point of the movie.

The point is one that I've often argued in science forums over the last decade.

But I get it though, in this culture of sensationalism, you need a big intrique, a big plot twist. It's okay, movies like Ad Astra are not for everyone.
I'm a sci-fi fan, so this kind of subtle shout-out has me curious. Modern sci-fi has become mostly explosions in space, which many people want, but bores the hell outta me. I love subtler, deeper themes. Last great sci-film I saw was Arrival. I may check out Ad Astra, and if I don't like it I'll blame you.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Watched Joker for the first time tonight. Too many thoughts are still rushing through my mind so be able to say anything cohesive about the film.

There's one thing that can't be debated IMO - Phoenix' performance as Arthur Fleck is unbelievable.

So much so that I keep trying to justify the most horrifying acts of violence we see him carry out on screen. The complete madman he is speeding toward becoming throughout the film, I felt like I... understand? His emotional fragility is so profoundly tragic that it almost makes me want to overlook and forgive him for everything else. His rise from pitifulness is really something to behold. Yet the climax fell flat for me (even as insanely good the car scene was). I don't fault the movie for that in the slightest though, I think it's just a testament to how emotionally draining everything that led to that was. It was almost like I felt glad that Arthur found some release and relief from all that was haunting him before. And I then knew he would be alright and felt at ease for him.
It's an outstanding movie and a brilliant performance by Joaquin. If he doesn't win best actor for that performance, I'll be shocked.

Reactions: DAChampion

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
#BadBlood

When it's something linked to MTL I'm habitually in to it... Why mafia are implemented there? The Italian gang. The Irish gang. The Haitians gang. The Quebecer gang. The illegal transportation at the Old Port. The market of drugs. The illegal affairs for the construction markets. Well documentated.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I'm a sci-fi fan, so this kind of subtle shout-out has me curious. Modern sci-fi has become mostly explosions in space, which many people want, but bores the hell outta me. I love subtler, deeper themes. Last great sci-film I saw was Arrival. I may check out Ad Astra, and if I don't like it I'll blame you.

Well, don't expect some great twist like in Arrival.

The subtlety of Ad Astra comes from its world building and philosophical underpinnings. It's a critique of our rudderless drive for progress.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham

My brand is sci-fi flicks that have a good balance, something profound, some action, some suspence like the recent Lost in Space TV show.

Reactions: Lshap

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I watched the joker.

Will this be the first time that two actors win an Oscar for the same role?

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
About the Joker,

did any part of the plot actually happen or are we supposed to assume that it's all in his head? I ask because the therapist at the end looks like the one at the start.

Was he actually adopted? Was he actually Wayne's son?

Separately, I think that the world building is undermined by having the Joker be thirty years older than Bruce. Having Joe Chill wear a Joker mask is also a significant change. It affects what Bruce will remember.

It needs an asterix, but how about Brando and De Niro?

For the godfather?

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
About the Joker,

did any part of the plot actually happen or are we supposed to assume that it's all in his head? I ask because the therapist at the end looks like the one at the start.

Was he actually adopted? Was he actually Wayne's son?

Separately, I think that the world building is undermined by having the Joker be thirty years older than Bruce. Having Joe Chill wear a Joker mask is also a significant change. It affects what Bruce will remember.

For the godfather?

Yes. They both played Vito Corleone and each won an Oscar.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Aight I just saw Joker.

It was a good, even great movie... but it did not deliver as a Joker movie. Phoenix was a great sicko, but he was not a great Joker.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
The Joker is an episodic character in the movie. I'm not sure why you'd even comment on that.

JP wasn't hired to play the Joker largely, he was brought in to star as Arthur Fleck.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
The Joker is an episodic character in the movie. I'm not sure why you'd even comment on that.

JP wasn't hired to play the Joker largely, he was brought in to star as Arthur Fleck.
BS. The name of the movie is "Joker". Its an origin movie. Its not Arthur Flecks movie.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
BS. The name of the movie is "Joker". Its an origin movie. Its not Arthur Flecks movie.
Yeah, I heard they really mulled over calling it "Arthur Fleck: The Rise" instead.

This is still a DC property.

And yes, it is an Arthur Fleck movie if you care to watch it.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Yeah, I heard they really mulled over calling it "Arthur Fleck: The Rise" instead.

This is still a DC property.

And yes, it is an Arthur Fleck movie if you care to watch it.
It doesnt matter what you think it is, its called Joker, not Artur Fleck, which is exactly my point. Great movie, but its a poor Joker movie.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
It doesnt matter what you think it is, its called Joker, not Artur Fleck, which is exactly my point. Great movie, but its a poor Joker movie.
Then shame on you buying a ticket and expecting for this to be a Joker film.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Jesus, careful there you might hurt yourself coming down that horse, its higher than Artur at the start of the movie.
My point is that for the first 90, or so, minutes we watched a timid, emotionally fragile and pitiful character on the screen. Two of those 3 qualities are nothing like the Joker we know, and even the third one would be somewhat of a stretch to apply to the Joker given the context.

You were expecting something else. No big deal, but you are wrong to blame the film for not living up to your own unrealistic expectations.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
My point is that for the first 90, or so, minutes we watched a timid, emotionally fragile and pitiful character on the screen. Two of those 3 qualities are nothing like the Joker we know, and even the third one would be somewhat of a stretch to apply to the Joker given the context.

You were expecting something else. No big deal, but you are wrong to blame the film for not living up to your own unrealistic expectations.

Fun times sharing an opinion with you, not one sided at all, man.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Aight I just saw Joker.

It was a good, even great movie... but it did not deliver as a Joker movie. Phoenix was a great sicko, but he was not a great Joker.

Arthur Fleck *is* the Joker, I think that this may be the point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad