OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Did you play hockey? Manhandling taller soft guys on a regular basis tend to be a good therapy for that ;) Some of those big guys are softer than butter. I'm 5'6 BTW and you would be surprised by the amount of guys smaller than me in normal life ;)

I did, but mostly football. Manhandling those huge private school Olines was what kept me sane for so long. Nothing like putting the 6'6 250 seventeen years old thats been promised everything because of his height on his ass.

Ill always remember my first PO game in highschool. There was a freak of a center that was like two helmets height above me and he pulled me down three times with his huge useless body, on the next possession I swam his ass twice for two tackles on the RB after ly coach told me hed sub me. Not on my heckin watch

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I laughed also, but I was, still am a big fan of the series with Don Adams. It was a family thing. Would you believe, everyday at the same time, we would watch reruns. Even though we knew what joke was coming, it still cracked us up.

Can totally relate. The jokes were basic, mostly recycled one liners or slapstick but effective. My favourite character was Larabee.

Reactions: groovejuice

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Watched a few episodes of Swamp Thing. Not bad although some of the acting is so-so. I really like the look of the creature, scary and close to the comics. I like the actor playing Alec Holland a lot, he has a Bill Bixby vibe about him. Unfortunately, knowing a bit of my Swamp Thing history, we'll never seen him again on the show. They should do a Hulk thing where Swamp Thing can switch back and forth from man to creature. Also..Blue Devil!

Meanwhile, I'm at the third season of Black Sails and it's pretty much magnificient. Last time I liked a show this much was in the first few seasons of GoT.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Watched a few episodes of Swamp Thing. Not bad although some of the acting is so-so. I really like the look of the creature, scary and close to the comics. I like the actor playing Alec Holland a lot, he has a Bill Bixby vibe about him. Unfortunately, knowing a bit of my Swamp Thing history, we'll never seen him again on the show. They should do a Hulk thing where Swamp Thing can switch back and forth from man to creature. Also..Blue Devil!

Meanwhile, I'm at the third season of Black Sails and it's pretty much magnificient. Last time I liked a show this much was in the first few seasons of GoT.

I absolutely loved that show, until season 4.

I hated season 4. I still haven't watched the last 4 episodes. Don't think I ever will.

I'll check out Swamp Thing.

Reactions: Kimota

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

I hated season 4. I still haven't watched the last 4 episodes. Don't think I ever will.

Same experience as you re Black Sails. Show self destructs in Season 4.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I just got out of ad whatever with Brad Pitt.

Kay it sucked, just dont go.

Anyway, any petrol head hyped up for Ferrari V Ford ? Yuuup.

That movie about WW1.... 1917. Looks action filled, but you guys know Ive been craving for a good WW1 movie.

Reactions: dinodebino

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I just got out of ad whatever with Brad Pitt.

Kay it sucked, just dont go.

Anyway, any petrol head hyped up for Ferrari V Ford ? Yuuup.

That movie about WW1.... 1917. Looks action filled, but you guys know Ive been craving for a good WW1 movie.

Ad Astra.

Honestly...I was into the movie. I really was. I expected some of the scenes to mean something as we went along but towards the end you just think "Wow, this sucked".

It's a shame because with a half decent writer they could've at least pulled off some suspense or a twist at the end. Anything.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Ad Astra.

Honestly...I was into the movie. I really was. I expected some of the scenes to mean something as we went along but towards the end you just think "Wow, this sucked".

It's a shame because with a half decent writer they could've at least pulled off some suspense or a twist at the end. Anything.
Yep. Exactly my thought. Like WTF nothing happened.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham

Just watched the last episode of Season 3 and I'm pretty pumped for the rest. I can only guess what might have happened. It is supposed to lead to a big epic showdown so they can end the show and that is usually where shows lose themselves aka GoT. My main worry is that they turned Eleonore into an unlikeable character with what happened with Vale. He basically killed her father cause her father chose to sacrifice her and that's how she repaid Vale. And if she end up winning this, I'll be pissed. Flint is my guy and he better succeed. My hope is that she pull something and side with Flint. But I don't think that will happen. :D

My nephew did the same thing as you but with Vikings. When the show took a certain turn, he did not have the desire to watch the last episodes of Vikings. He made the right decision too.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Just watched the last episode of Season 3 and I'm pretty pumped for the rest. I can only guess what might have happened. It is supposed to lead to a big epic showdown so they can end the show and that is usually where shows lose themselves aka GoT. My main worry is that they turned Eleonore into an unlikeable character with what happened with Vale. He basically killed her father cause her father chose to sacrifice her and that's how she repaid Vale. And if she end up winning this, I'll be pissed. Flint is my guy and he better succeed. My hope is that she pull something and side with Flint. But I don't think that will happen. :D

My nephew did the same thing as you but with Vikings. When the show took a certain turn, he did not have the desire to watch the last episodes of Vikings. He made the right decision too.

Don't want to spoil the story too much, but didn't some of the fictional pirate names sound familiar? Do you know a bit of the history of the age of pirates in the the West Indies? Names like Black Beard and Rackam the Red are from history, but Captain Flint, Billy Bones and Long John Silver aren't historical pirates, they were created by Robert Louis Stevenson.

I'm asking this because Black Sails is a direct prequel to his famous Treasure Island novel. If you've read the book, you kinda know the ending and what happen's to the Urca De Lima treasure.

It's how they get there in the last season of the show which sucked.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
There's unfinished business in that show. When's the final season?

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Don't want to spoil the story too much, but didn't some of the fictional pirate names sound familiar? Do you know a bit of the history of the age of pirates in the the West Indies? Names like Black Beard and Rackam the Red are from history, but Captain Flint, Billy Bones and Long John Silver aren't historical pirates, they were created by Robert Louis Stevenson.

I'm asking this because Black Sails is a direct prequel to his famous Treasure Island novel. If you've read the book, you kinda know the ending and what happen's to the Urca De Lima treasure.

It's how they get there in the last season of the show which sucked.

I knew that some pirates existed like Black Beard and Charles Vale and that others did not like Long John Silver. When I first saw Silver at the beginning of the series, I thought it was a strange casting cause the guy was this young good-looking dude doing funny stuff, more like a sidekick than the terror of the Seventh sea. But by the end of Season 3, he has become more gruff and has gained some of Flint's particularities, like Flint has robbed off on him, adding some darkness to his character. But anyway I think it's last week watching a reaction video of Black Sails, the reactor mentioned something about leading to Treasure Island. And at the end Dickon decided to build the legend of Long John Silver.

It's strange though, I can never remember the story of Treasure Island even though I've seen plenty of versions on screen. Maybe it's cause they have done a poor job of recreating the novel but all I remember is a bunch of dudes fighting the British and then plenty of typical pirate movie cliches. I even watched one a few months ago starring Charlton Heston from the 80 and he Silver well but all I remember is him fighting British soldiers on the beach with a standoff at a house. My favorite version came from a unique place, a Japanese anime made for the French market in France which somehow got to Canada and I stumbled upon it on TV when I was a kid. Being anime the characters became automatically much better looking and easier to get into esp. Silver, he was gruff but not old man gruff, more like cool woredown gruff like Wolverine/Grimjack that girls like. lol I liked his relationship with the kid. Grey also became the quintessential anime character tall, thin, long hair, an expert at throwing knives.

BTW was there ever any link between Flint and Silver in the novels?

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I knew that some pirates existed like Black Beard and Charles Vale and that others did not like Long John Silver. When I first saw Silver at the beginning of the series, I thought it was a strange casting cause the guy was this young good-looking dude doing funny stuff, more like a sidekick than the terror of the Seventh sea. But by the end of Season 3, he has become more gruff and has gained some of Flint's particularities, like Flint has robbed off on him, adding some darkness to his character. But anyway I think it's last week watching a reaction video of Black Sails, the reactor mentioned something about leading to Treasure Island. And at the end Dickon decided to build the legend of Long John Silver.

It's strange though, I can never remember the story of Treasure Island even though I've seen plenty of versions on screen. Maybe it's cause they have done a poor job of recreating the novel but all I remember is a bunch of dudes fighting the British and then plenty of typical pirate movie cliches. I even watched one a few months ago starring Charlton Heston from the 80 and he Silver well but all I remember is him fighting British soldiers on the beach with a standoff at a house. My favorite version came from a unique place, a Japanese anime made for the French market in France which somehow got to Canada and I stumbled upon it on TV when I was a kid. Being anime the characters became automatically much better looking and easier to get into esp. Silver, he was gruff but not old man gruff, more like cool woredown gruff like Wolverine/Grimjack that girls like. lol I liked his relationship with the kid. Grey also became the quintessential anime character tall, thin, long hair, an expert at throwing knives.

BTW was there ever any link between Flint and Silver in the novels?

I don't want to spoil.

You might've seen the animated version on Ciné-cadeaux a few decades back. That one was ok.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I don't want to spoil.

You might've seen the animated version on Ciné-cadeaux a few decades back. That one was ok.

Something I liked from the anime was the relationship between Silver and the kid who admired Silver. Then at the end of the series, they do a jump in time and you see that kid as a man now and he's the splitting image of Silver.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Ok, guys, about Ad Astra, saw it today..

If you left the movie with a sense nothing happened and it was pointless, well, you just don't get the point of the movie.

The point is one that I've often argued in science forums over the last decade.

But I get it though, in this culture of sensationalism, you need a big intrique, a big plot twist. It's okay, movies like Ad Astra are not for everyone.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

If you left the movie with a sense nothing happened and it was pointless, well, you just don't get the point of the movie.

But I get it though, in this culture of sensationalism, you need a big intrique, a big plot twist. It's okay, movies like Ad Astra are not for everyone.
Lol come on calice.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Lol come on calice.

:laugh:

-------------

After all the feedbacks it has had, I finally got to see The Boys(originally from Amazon, I think). It is similar in execution and concept to Hancock with Will Smith. Super-heroes acting like normal people would with powers, they are shaddy, don't give a f*** and there's a lot of humour and gore. Only this time, some people are tired of their screw ups and they will try to stop them so THEY are the heroes aka The Boys.

Something kept bugging me about the big tall blond guy that played the character Homelander who is the perfect hero, a mix of Captain American and Superman. Was wondering where I had seen him before but just could not connect the face. Then it hit me, no way, that's not possible, he was the lead actor from one of my favorite shows, Banshee! But in Banshee, he has an average build and his face is so unique and weird and overall the guy comes off so feral that he could just go into the woods and bark at the moon and you would say "yea makes sense". So that is why I could not place him, playing this tall blond he-man it is so far fetched. What a weird casting but it just works.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Well relatively a 5'11.75 is much taller than a 5'11.001
:sarcasm:

Im still tallet than most people I see. But whenever I see that dere dude whos 6'3 I want to punch him.

Is the the napoleon complex? Imagine being 5'5 and always being angry.

I always hear stories of girls rejecting guys based on their height. I figure you'd get angry at some point.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal

C'mon. The movie was incomplete.

There's no development of Brad Pitt's wife, his father or anyone. The movie is seen through his eyes and the only saving grace is some kind of drastic change. In the end, there was no change. The ending was beyond anticlimactic and even if there's no surprise twist...you have no emotional attachment to any support character. You're just like "oh okay".

Ad Astra is a 2 hour movie about an astronaut with daddy issues and an anticlimactic presentation.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
C'mon. The movie was incomplete.

There's no development of Brad Pitt's wife, his father or anyone. The movie is seen through his eyes and the only saving grace is some kind of drastic change. In the end, there was no change. The ending was beyond anticlimactic and even if there's no surprise twist...you have no emotional attachment to any support character. You're just like "oh okay".

Ad Astra is a 2 hour movie about an astronaut with daddy issues and an anticlimactic presentation.

If that's all you got out of it, like I said, you don't get it.

It negatively portrays what its genre usually celebrates, so no wonder many dislike it.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
If that's all you got out of it, like I said, you don't get it.

It negatively portrays what its genre usually celebrates, so no wonder many dislike it.

But isn't that a weird reason to like something?

I like this movie because it does the opposite of what good movies do.

Great?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Hopped on The Righteous Gemstones (HBO) after seeing recent late night interviews with Danny McBride, John Goodman and Walton Goggins.

The whole thing reprises the type of hypocricy and pranks McBride became known for in Eastbound & Down and Vice Principals. A lot of it is petty and childish and it becomes somewhat overbearing. This week's episode had a little for drama and suspense but all in all, it's just brainless -- and it's fine when the mood strikes you for something light but McBride has such a limited acting range that you can't tell which of his past characters or current character he's performing -- his roles are interchangeable. It's over the top and the storyline is empty. I'm not sure why I'm still watching this, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad