OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
This was/is my beef with the show, I mean yeah it's great to look back and say that this was the plan all along but there is no way that any of us saw this coming as we followed the show.So many twists and turns with no possible way to tie it all together and we are seeing the same thing from GOT and frankly, it's disappointing.

i mean dude, did they ever explain this:
feetbonus.jpg

Seems like the writers, wrote themselves into a maze that they couldn't get out of. The final season with the flash sideways, was just a giant waste of time an really had no purpose outside introducing the idea of a purgatory after death. I know a lot of people had theorized when the show was running, that the island itself was a purgatory...so the writers just introduced an alternate reality that was just that? a literal purgatory? Thanks DAMON.
They could have just focused time and energy answering questions from past seasons instead of introducing another element no one asked for. But i digress.

As for GOT, the issue is D&D are hacks. One of these idiots wrote X-Men Origins: Wolverine! As soon as they passed the books, the show went down hill. Yeah they nailed a couple episodes like Hard Home and the Battle of the Bastards...but GOT has been running on fumes for almost 3 full seasons, the thick layer of amazing production value and epic musical scores has worn off and exposed these two fools. I have very little expectations from the remaining two episodes. I await for GRRM to drop the Winds of Winter soon to show these clowns how its done. haha

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I think you missed the point of end game. Or you're just hating for the sake of hating. End Game and infinity war are companion films. where as infinity war was about the build of thanos and him winning, end game in contrast was about the original avengers working together to fix what happened in a culmination of 20 plus movies and lead up. Yes the last 10 minutes was a cgi-fest, but from what i gather...most of the people watching the film wanted to see that epic showdown of all the heroes fighting together. it was pure fan service, most enjoyed it. i personally enjoy focused hand to hand combat like in winter soldier, but that's another discussion.

also no character development? you're aware that they've had these characters go through arcs for nearly a decade? but you're saying this particular movie had no characters going through an arc? thor didn't have an arc? From being a drunk video game playing mess (from guilt of failure), to needing a pep talk from his past mother to rekindle his flame? hawkeye didn't have an arc? Tony didn't have an arc? One of the most egotistical characters in marvel history, made the decision to sacrifice himself to save the world. The entire movie was pretty much building that up. How did you miss it? He started a family, he got a daughter, he gave it up to save the world. That's called an arc.

this all your opinion, but what you're saying is pretty hypocritical. you loved thor ragnarok, which was virtually a comedy...but you're calling the humour here "lame" yet much of the humour was predicated off thor?

What do you mean power levels weren't respected?

Why was widow and hawkeye lame in their attempt of sacrifice? it showed that they were both honourable, but it highlighted widows understanding that clint had a potential family to go back to, widow had no one.

...lame deus ex machina with the rat...doctor strange literally said he went through 14 million possibilities, the successful one involved a rat. It is what it is.

What tony foreshadowing? you mean when he saw the future in age of ultron?

what dumb cap time travel ****?
Did cap going back and dancing with peggy carter anger you?

bucky needs respect? he and the other dusted characters had their shine in infinity war. this was about the Original avengers.

Cap Mjolnir fan service? They only hinted at this in age of ultron...and cap literally has wielded the hammer in the comics. What better time to have this payoff then in caps last movie? Are you even a fan of the comics or these movies? Are you just hating for the sake of hating? Cap has always been pure of heart, as shown when he was the skinny kid jumping on the dummy grenade back in the first avenger. Seriously?

We saw a ton of dr.strange in infinity war.

Giant man, knocked down one of the massive leviathons during the battle. Did you want the battle to be like an hour or something?

Professor hulk was never much of a fighter. Should we have seen him in more action? Sure. not gonna whine about it. His fake being angry in new york is pretty funny (TO ME).

Yes captain marvel appeared at the end, she was too over powered of a character to begin with and having her role trimmed down was a good decision. Or did you have an issue with her being in the film to begin with? Her reasoning for leaving early on made sense too, as there are other planets in the universe as well. I did have an issue with her randomly finding tony and brining him to earth. that was a lame deus ex machina.

Yes the black orders role was diminished in this, them being in the film wasn't supposed to be a highlight. it was about getting the entire band back together to defeat thanos. the black order had their time to shine in infinity war.

Infinity War was just a bunch of fight scenes crammed into 140 minutes. If that's your deal, great. I thought end game was spectacular, it had nearly everything i wanted. Most of your gripes for End Game just don't hold up, quite honestly. "Just stupid dumb action in a field"...you describing the wakanda fight scene from Wakanda? Idgi.

"Thanos reverting to a homicidal maniac for no reasons"
Huh No reason? Were you sleeping?
You're aware that this version of Thanos wasn't the one we got from infinity war, right? This version...aka 2014 Thanos just started his search for the infinity stones, he wasn't subdued from freshly sacrificing his daughter like in IW. Nebula literally shows 2014 thanos, that he ends up being successful in getting the stones, but he also sees himself getting murdered...this motivates him but also enrages him to be the most dangerous form of himself. why? because the "ungrateful" avengers didn't appreciate him balancing the universe, they spited him by killing him. This thanos just doesn't push aside the avengers to get the stones, he saw the future so he will now destroy them to balance the universe to prevent his future murder as well. So yes, that is WHY this Thanos was more vicious and it made sense.

i'll give you the double sided sword being poorly designed.

End Game = Age of ultron on steroids? lol, nope...but hey that's your opinion.

I didn't mind the humor, but it shouldn't have been forced like that. The going back in time stuff was pretty nice, but the rest wasn't.

Thanos wanted to make the universe a better place for the people, he wanted to make it better, perfectly balanced. Murdering the whole universe is NOT making it better lol.

Infinity war was great, the cinematography, the music, the story. This one falls short all the way. I expected more, I wanted more and we deserved more.

In IW, you have the struggle of keeping the stones away from Thanos, you wonder who will die, Tony takes a blade to the stomach, completely broken, then you think Thor comes in and saves the day, and he appears to do so, but no... He didn't then boom, he snaps. You get moments like Peter Parker/Tony that will stay in folklore forever. You get Thor who looks like one of the strongest character in the universe, he has feat of strength, speed, energy projection, he's a bad ass, completely shredding through the whole army of Thanos, coming in with the Bring me Thanos line.

Gotta talk about the showdown on Titan too. It's one of the most amazing scene Ive ever seen. From Tony jamming the building on Thanos, to Spidey saving everyone, to Dr. Strange showing RIDICULOUS powers without ever using the stone, to Thanos bringing down the moon, to Tony showing cool ass armor tech...

The NY scene too, with Black Dwarf and Ebony maw was amazing.

What do we get as epic fight scene ? f***ing Cap that lifts Mjolnir, gets Thorforce powers (Lol) AND gets immediate perfect shield to hammer technique. Like come the f*** on.

Thor went from being a guy that almost single handedly stopped thanos WITH the full infinity gauntlet to not even being able to 3v1 him with Cap and Tony, who also put up a good fight against him on Titan, and thats with FIVE more years of tech on Tonys armor. Im not having it.

Dr. Strange is basically used to hold up water ? Thats such a dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb f***ing way to say "Yeah we don't need you in the battle." What was the point of that ? Like wtf.

There was a FANTASTIC moment that reminded me of Secret Wars where Hulk holds up a mountain, when the building is collapsing on Rhodey and Rocket. That was the ultimate moment to have AT LEAST Savage Hulk come back, he comes out of there pissed as f***, and completely lay wastes to Thanos. Or even better, have him go World War hulk, or world breaker, then you have another easy movie to make.... But no, we'd much rather be lazy and use Captain f***ing america and buff him so hard that he's the strongest avenger now...

The all women moment was pathetic as hell too, but hey.

As for Giant-Man, we see him pushing a Leviathan, then stepping on Black dwarf I think (As if Black Dwarf wouldn't have been able to hold up his foot.) and then he magically disappears from the battlefield. Boom, we don't ever see him again lol, literally.

Anyway, great that you liked it, but it was mediocre at best, and it was too long.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
Had you watched the Animatrix tie-in beforehand?

I like back stories and Animatrix had a whole lot of it, and it tied in with the answers the Architect gave, but at tge same time what he said left the door open for many other questions. That's what i loved about it. And it completely flipped the notion of the savior, how it's just another mechanism for control. I thought he didn't give that much out if you watched the tie-in.

I haven't seen it. Is it any good?

I might check it out, but Revolutions left a pretty sour taste in my mouth in regards to the whole series to be honest.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
feetbonus.jpg

Seems like the writers, wrote themselves into a maze that they couldn't get out of. The final season with the flash sideways, was just a giant waste of time an really had no purpose outside introducing the idea of a purgatory after death. I know a lot of people had theorized when the show was running, that the island itself was a purgatory...so the writers just introduced an alternate reality that was just that? a literal purgatory? Thanks DAMON.
They could have just focused time and energy answering questions from past seasons instead of introducing another element no one asked for. But i digress.

As for GOT, the issue is D&D are hacks. One of these idiots wrote X-Men Origins: Wolverine! As soon as they passed the books, the show went down hill. Yeah they nailed a couple episodes like Hard Home and the Battle of the Bastards...but GOT has been running on fumes for almost 3 full seasons, the thick layer of amazing production value and epic musical scores has worn off and exposed these two fools. I have very little expectations from the remaining two episodes. I await for GRRM to drop the Winds of Winter soon to show these clowns how its done. haha
What about the others, they seemed familiar with plane crashes, the dharma initiative and the polar bears, Penny and Desmond and so on, the ending pissed me off and I am not over it just yet. One day I will go back and rewatch all 6 seasons but this time from a different perspective.

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
What about the others, they seemed familiar with plane crashes, the dharma initiative and the polar bears, Penny and Desmond and so on, the ending pissed me off and I am not over it just yet. One day I will go back and rewatch all 6 seasons but this time from a different perspective.
I think the bear was just an escaped animal from the initiative, as they had a host of animals (like that one shark with the dharma logo) that they tested for electromagnetic research. The others i think they answered, they were just dharma staff? I need to rewatch too. Such a nuanced show. haha.

Reactions: OldCraig71

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
feetbonus.jpg

I assumed it simply was constructed by past protectors like Jacob, but from much farther in the past, in the time of the pharaos. We know how it was destroyed, in the tempest that brought Ricardo and the Black Rock ship crashing into the statue, which was Anubis-looking if i remember correctly.

The leftover trunk of leg, I always thought was a referrence to the Bysshe Shelley poem of my nickname, ozymandias.

Edit: I remember the statue held a Ankh.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I loved season one of Lost and the first half of season 2. I kinda just put up with the next couple seasons but when they announced season 6 was the last, I forced myself to stick with it to see how it ends.

Season 6 I thought started fantastic, but ultimately I was pretty disappointed with the show. I also think the long breaks, various hiatus’ broke the flow and I ended up forgetting stuff that happened an episode prior. Perhaps I’ll have to binge watch them again, but I’m in no rush.

Reactions: Runner77

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Since when does the movie thread needs to get bumped?

Everyone on vaca or somethin?

Anyway, bumped it to say, pretty sure Dany dies in the next two episodes.
Well, Emilia Clarke was quoted as saying the next episode is going to be memorable. The suspense is killing me. :laugh:

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

Sure seems like thats what theyre setting up. I was watching the post episode 3 BTS and just had to face palm half the time D&D opened their mouths.

Guilliam

Jul 30, 2010
Montreal

Yeah it's obvious she's becoming evil like the mad king. The real question is who is gonna kill her? Jon? Arya? The Kingslayer? Tyrion?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Ive seen Pet Sematary this week... Sucked. They never actually explain what the freak is up with the cemetary, only a Wendigo BS beyond it... They never explained why the black dude existed or what happened. The acting was cringey, etc. CGI sucked.

Bad movie but still scary to me.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham

My bet is it's Jon that dies, Cersei dies, Jaime dies(probably by killing Cersei), Drogon dies, Euron dies, Dany lives but doesn't care about the Throne after Jon dies. We then we see her in the last episode a few years from now with a baby. She has been living in Essos since and she comes back in Westeros for a visit with her child. Maybe go see Jon's grave. Then you see a ray of hope, maybe a new dragon egg, something magical in nature whatever, maybe Jon's grave is empty.., etc...

I could see the Death of Jon Snow being the thing that stops the war. He would have succeeded in uniting Westeros as the Son of Ice & Fire.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006

I am trying to weather the GoT storm myself like I do every year while the series airs. :P

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Loved Sneaky Pete's first two seasons, had completely forgotten about him.

Anyone else following it? I believe GoodKiwi had some early reviews about the first two seasons and they were favorable.
I'm not as keen on the series as I was early on into it. Not that I think it's bad right now, I just feel like its arc flatlined quite a bit. To be clear I blame the writing, because Ribisi is still marvellous.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I'm not as keen on the series as I was early on into it. Not that I think it's bad right now, I just feel like its arc flatlined quite a bit. To be clear I blame the writing, because Ribisi is still marvellous.

Plus, it's been extended beyond your usual tolerance for series durations. :sarcasm:

Reactions: GoodKiwi

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
My bet is it's Jon that dies, Cersei dies, Jaime dies(probably by killing Cersei), Drogon dies, Euron dies, Dany lives but doesn't care about the Throne after Jon dies. We then we see her in the last episode a few years from now with a baby. She has been living in Essos since and she comes back in Westeros for a visit with her child. Maybe go see Jon's grave. Then you see a ray of hope, maybe a new dragon egg, something magical in nature whatever, maybe Jon's grave is empty.., etc...

I could see the Death of Jon Snow being the thing that stops the war. He would have succeeded in uniting Westeros as the Son of Ice & Fire.
Dany cannot have children.

Guilliam

Jul 30, 2010
Montreal

Everything Daenerys says and does since she found out Jon is the heir to the throne shows she cares a lot more about the throne than she cares for Jon.

It really wouldn't make sense for her to give up the throne just because Jon died so I guess this is what's going to happen given how the writing has been so far this season ;)

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
#T2Trainspotting

It never get expired for myself. It never get old for myself. It's a gang of bozos. They're older. But mentally younger. New objectives. New epoch. There's no best ending. It could continue.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Everything Daenerys says and does since she found out Jon is the heir to the throne shows she cares a lot more about the throne than she cares for Jon.

It really wouldn't make sense for her to give up the throne just because Jon died so I guess this is what's going to happen given how the writing has been so far this season ;)

That is true. If she loved him she should have gone "dude holly shit you are a Targaryen too? holly crap the Targaryen are back on top, baby! we're gonna rule the Throne forever, high five!".

But hey If she doesn't give everything up when he dies then she would really have become the Mad Queen!

BTW I meant to Say "Song of Ice & Fire" and I wrote "Son of Ice & Fire". Freudian slip?

Reactions: ArtPeur
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad