OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I agree GoT was slow, but a necessary setup to what's sure to follow.

Last night I did something I've never done. My wife and went to a Game Of Thrones viewing party at a bar in Le Plateau. A younger musician friend told me about it and my first thought was, "Nahh... I'm too old to squeeze together with a bunch of millennials to watch a ******* TV show". But I did. And it was a lot of fun. Must've been a few hundred people, half of them standing, all of us watching intently like at a movie theatre. Kinda cool to add audience reactions to key moments. Everyone cheered when the theme song began, they gave a collective "Oooooohhhh" when Jon and Danaerys locked lips, roared with laughter when Arya shows Jon her sword and Jon asks, "Have you ever used it?", and gasped when Sam says to Jon, "I'm not talking about being the King of the North, I'm talking about the whole bloody Seven Kingdoms!!".

I like the convenience and comfort of watching chez moi, but being part of an audience experience was cool, something I might do again for other episodes.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
GoT was what I expected. A setup. What I don't like is that everything was moving way too fast presumably because they wanted to tie up some loose ends to make room for the action but then they have that long awkward scene with the dragons. I haven't read the books but the dragons are one of the least interesting parts of the show for me. If they had another season planned then sure go ahead and show that but under these circumstances I'd rather concentrate on the characters.

Another issue I'm seeing lately is that the show has shifted from being a slow burning struggle for power to basically any other action fantasy movie. I used to hate Cersei but her scenes are often my favorite now simply because it seems she's the only one playing the "Game". I never cared for Dany and now the show focus' on her way too much

That said, I still enjoy it and I'll certainly stay for the fireworks. I'd very much like a spinoff focusing on characters like Ned, Rhaegar, Robert, Hound, Bronn etc... Theirs a lot of material to work with there and it could be fun.

Reactions: Runner77

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
GoT was what I expected. A setup. What I don't like is that everything was moving way too fast presumably because they wanted to tie up some loose ends to make room for the action but then they have that long awkward scene with the dragons. I haven't read the books but the dragons are one of the least interesting parts of the show for me. If they had another season planned then sure go ahead and show that but under these circumstances I'd rather concentrate on the characters.

Another issue I'm seeing lately is that the show has shifted from being a slow burning struggle for power to basically any other action fantasy movie. I used to hate Cersei but her scenes are often my favorite now simply because it seems she's the only one playing the "Game". I never cared for Dany and now the show focus' on her way too much

That said, I still enjoy it and I'll certainly stay for the fireworks. I'd very much like a spinoff focusing on characters like Ned, Rhaegar, Robert, Hound, Bronn etc... Theirs a lot of material to work with there and it could be fun.

I don't have a problem with the show being slow...it's been like that since the beginning. Slow set up and then an explosion of action.
What annoyed me was the overly cheesy moments like that lame dragon race with the close ups on smiles and keep your queen warm line...I mean, am I watching a Disney movie here?

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
I don't have a problem with the show being slow...it's been like that since the beginning. Slow set up and then an explosion of action.
What annoyed me was the overly cheesy moments like that lame dragon race with the close ups on smiles and keep your queen warm line...I mean, am I watching a Disney movie here?
I agree 100 percent. I liked the slow pace and the characters plotting against each other in an effort to gain power. It's what drew me in and kept me glued to the screen.

Some people like the cheese though. I got bashed pretty hard when I said the Hodor thing with all the little pixie shits was tacky and that the whole Dany dragon thing was dragging the show down. I don't mind the fantasy aspects like the wolves, magic, giants etc. As long as the show keeps it from being a Harry Potter type thing. Keep it gritty like LotR and I'm all for it.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I agree 100 percent. I liked the slow pace and the characters plotting against each other in an effort to gain power. It's what drew me in and kept me glued to the screen.

Some people like the cheese though. I got bashed pretty hard when I said the Hodor thing with all the little pixie ****s was tacky and that the whole Dany dragon thing was dragging the show down. I don't mind the fantasy aspects like the wolves, magic, giants etc. As long as the show keeps it from being a Harry Potter type thing. Keep it gritty like LotR and I'm all for it.
Ya I didnt mind the Hodor thing personally, but that dragon scene...jesus...

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
The dragon scene is clearly done to show Jons Targaryen heritage and set up the Jon riding Raegal (Aptly named after his father, Rhaeagar.) Into battle against the Night King.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
The dragon scene is clearly done to show Jons Targaryen heritage and set up the Jon riding Raegal (Aptly named after his father, Rhaeagar.) Into battle against the Night King.
I also didn't like the scene, but I admit your explanation makes perfect sense.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

I’m fine with it. Just as long as they don’t start breaking out in song...

Reactions: ArsHabs

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Not a movie but a show -- something really amazing is going on in the show Jeopardy.

A professional sports gambler has been winning for 9 consecutive days including tonight, for a total rake of $566,660.

He's as cool as a cucumber and his knowledge is vast and he answers without hesitation.

He's got the 2nd highest win total in terms of total dollars in the history of Jeopardy and will do it again tomorrow night.

He's set the record for most money won in a single Jeopardy program.

The two remaining records: Ken Jennings's 74 consecutive wins and 2.5M dollars in winnings.

James Holzhauer, who hails from where else, Las Vegas. He's a machine.

Last edited:
Reactions: BehindTheTimes

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Anyone following this guy on James Holzhauer on Jeopardy? Professional sports gambler, he's gonna destroy Ken Jennings if he keeps this up.

Brilliant.

Edit: I missed Runner77's post above. The guy is sick.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Anyone following this guy on James Holzhauer on Jeopardy? Professional sports gambler, he's gonna destroy Ken Jennings if he keeps this up.

Brilliant.

Edit: I missed Runner77's post above. The guy is sick.
I posted about him further up also. The guy's incredible. I almost felt sorry for his opponents today. He'll break Jenning's winnings in about a 5th of the time.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I posted about him further up also. The guy's incredible. I almost felt sorry for his opponents today. He'll break Jenning's winnings in about a 5th of the time.

His composure is striking. I love how he goes all in on Daily Doubles. Again tonight, went in on Final Jeopardy with a massive lead and gambled $40,000 and of course, nailed the answer for a total winning for the show of over $100,000.

Trebek asked him what he would do with the money. Guy said he’d take a year off and live 1 month in 12 different cities. I wonder if the plan will change if he keeps this up.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Not a movie but a show -- something really amazing is going on in the show Jeopardy.

A professional sports gambler has been winning for 9 consecutive days including tonight, for a total rake of $566,660.

He's as cool as a cucumber and his knowledge is vast and he answers without hesitation.

He's got the 2nd highest win total in terms of total dollars in the history of Jeopardy and will do it again tomorrow night.

He's set the record for most money won in a single Jeopardy program.

The two remaining records: Ken Jennings's 74 consecutive wins and 2.5M dollars in winnings.

Check out this contestant James Holzhauer who hails from where else, Las Vegas. He's a machine.
Reminds me of the guy that wrecked on press your luck. Micheal Larson. Theirs a really cool documentary on him that's absolutely worth watching

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
The ones who's ready to spoiler GOT is banned, even if I'm not a modboy.

With the ending to the show leaked, one has to remember just how merciless the show watching crowd was to the book readers with regards to spoilers.

How much power is too much power?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad