OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
All these people hyping up avengers end game and here I am looking more forward to Detective Pikapool.

detective-pikachu-1143986-1280x0.jpeg

(I'm also waiting)
(I haven't seen Infinity War yet and I don't want to see End Game lul)

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Isn't Barry on S2 now? Or is S2 coming later?
Barry is now three episodes into S2.

The first season was a little bit of a shock to me. Never expected it to be what it was. Totally surprised me in a great way and was one of the most entertaining experiences ever watching a TV series for me.

I've adjusted now, so it's less of a novelty, but still excellent. Not sure I like where it's going, but we'll have to wait and see if that's where it actually ends up.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Barry is now three episodes into S2.

The first season was a little bit of a shock to me. Never expected it to be what it was. Totally surprised me in a great way and was one of the most entertaining experiences ever watching a TV series for me.

I've adjusted now, so it's less of a novelty, but still excellent. Not sure I like where it's going, but we'll have to wait and see if that's where it actually ends up.

I had the same reaction about S1. It was a novel concept and so far-fetched that it actually worked, lol. I kept waiting for the storyline to fall apart or to drown in cliches but it did the opposite. They kept ramping up the pressure and suspense while the comedic aspects became all the more macabre. I love off the beaten track concepts and when they hold up well like this one, it's definitely something to pay attention to. I thought Henry Winkler was particularly endearing and believable as an acting coach.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
I had the same reaction about S1. It was a novel concept and so far-fetched that it actually worked, lol. I kept waiting for the storyline to fall apart or to drown in cliches but it did the opposite. They kept ramping up the pressure and suspense while the comedic aspects became all the more macabre. I love off the beaten track concepts and when they hold up well like this one, it's definitely something to pay attention to. I thought Henry Winkler was particularly endearing and believable as an acting coach.

There was one particular scene in a car toward the end of S1 that transitioned to a theatre one that had me completely lose my marbles. I'm still thinking about it today. The way they built up the first scene (not something this show usually does if you really analyze it) and then cut to the next one was an insane achievement of directing IMO. You gotta believe this was intentional, and I am sure it was.

To me that was far and away the highlight of the excellence that season one was and is now one of my most favourite moments since I first started watching TV shows obsessively years ago.

Last edited:

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Has anyone seen "Strange Angel"?

Its trailer intrigued me, but critical response has been only average. Reading about its plot also has me questioning whether it might be worthwhile of a time investment.

feds91

May 17, 2004
2019 movies I've seen so far
Glass 4/10
Alita: Battle Angel 7/10
Captain Marvel 3/10

ho-hum year so far in movies :thumbd:

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
On an unrelated note, new season of Bosch is due out in a few hours from now.

Time to get my crack pipe cleaned so that I can binge on the whole thing in one sitting. Strange addictive quality to that show for me. While I wouldn't call the series to be a top tier one, I have watched all of its previous seasons always in one sitting.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
On an unrelated note, new season of Bosch is due out in a few hours from now.

Time to get my crack pipe cleaned so that I can binge on the whole thing in one sitting. Strange addictive quality to that show for me. While I wouldn't call the series to be a top tier one, I have watched all of its previous seasons always in one sitting.

Titus Welliver carries that series on his back with great subtlety. Thanks for the update!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad