OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Netflix now has the first 2 seasons of Travelers archived, as well as the new third season for viewing.

New Travelers is up? Damn, I was sleeping at the switch. I'm on it pronto. Thanks for the heads up, bud!!!

Easily one of my favorite Netflix shows.

Reactions: groovejuice

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
New Travelers is up? Damn, I was sleeping at the switch. I'm on it pronto. Thanks for the heads up, bud!!!

Easily one of my favorite Netflix shows.

Yes, we know. :laugh:

I'm just starting season 2. I lost Showcase before it started.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Yes, we know. :laugh:

I'm just starting season 2. I lost Showcase before it started.

At Episode 3 of Season 3. It's a slow start, I'm having trouble getting into to it. There was that us against the world feeling in the first two seasons, but now -- it's become something else. Story is piecemeal and lagging. I hope it picks up.

Reactions: groovejuice

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Enjoyed Narcos mexico.
I've loved every season of Narcos...brilliant IMO.

Don't know why I even dared to watch ''Night School''...not sure what I was thinking..Kevin Hart had funny stand up, but have no clue how he's been successful in movies.
Kevin Hart is hit & miss, I think he's hilarious but only in doses...a entire movie of Kevin Hart's schtick is tiresome.

Reactions: Runner77

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Just watched Halloween 2018...how in the world did this get 7 on IMDb and 70%+ on rotten tomatoes? This was one of the worst horror flick I ever saw...and I watched Annabelle...
It was frustrating bad...so so bad.

That bad? I heard it was ok, but yeah, not great. I mean, jump scare movies to me get dull after a while and these Halloween movies in the past have been those types rather than the slash'em up movies... which I also get bored with. Been a while since I saw a real good horror movie. I suppose IT 2017 was ok and I did like A Quiet Place except the last 10 seconds.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Haha, since you asked.

Got the TV because we just finished our basement renovation back in October. We already have a family room TV upstairs but wanted to setup a hang out spot downstairs (we got a nice wet bar done during our reno and a fireplace feature wall).

Why 4K? May as well as regular 1080p TVs are rare now and makes no sense to get one if 4ks are the same price.

I specifically chose this TV, the Vizio P65 because at its price, it was superior to all other brands. I got it for $1250 at Costco just before Black Friday. Sony’s Bravia 900 I believe is a good comparable but it was like $800 more.

The Vizio P75, so same series but 75” as opposed to 65”, was double the price. We sank a lot of money into the reno and considering we have more furniture to buy, we went with the smaller TV. That said, I got a wall mount where I can pull the TV from the wall so if I wanted the feel of the bigger screen, I’ll just pull the TV forward 2 feet :)

The Nvidia Shield is a 4K capable Android based media box and is capable of running Kodi. One of the main reasons is living in Toronto, watching Habs games can be a challenge. Can’t go into detail due to subject matter, but let’s just say Kodi and Lazyman can help me there.

I also got the Shield because the built in apps in the Vizio are a bit slow. The Shield is very snappy and apps are more responsive.

You are right about the sound... TV speakers suck. I got a nice Vizio 5.1 sound bar setup, also from Costco for $200. It isn’t high end but it is pretty good for the price.

Here is the setup. It is messy and I intend to hide the wires and all that but I’m still setting things up. Sound bar is on the floor now but you can see the tape where I intend to wall mount it. Always nervous about wall mounting TVs as I don’t want to wake up and find it face planted on the floor. I did put the mount in three wall studs though so it should hold.

View attachment 164749

Could we please have your impression of what you liked about your 4K programming now that you've been using the set up for a few days.

For instance, have you watched Netflix HD? Any other programs or movies? What is the downside, if any?

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Could we please have your impression of what you liked about your 4K programming now that you've been using the set up for a few days.

For instance, have you watched Netflix HD? Any other programs or movies? What is the downside, if any?

I don't have Netflix or Amazon Prime so I haven't really tested the 4K streaming. I did run some YouTube 4K demos and to be completely honest, I wasn't too impressed.

Avengers Infinity War 4K was nice, but I think I was expecting to be blown away so I wasn't as amazed as I hoped I would be. One thing I do notice though compared to my 1080p Samsung is the picture does look great when I am like 5 feet away. My Samsung, I can clearly see pixels that close.

I would need to check out my friend's 75" setup as that is a much bigger screen than mine, plus his couch is setup 7 feet away. I'm at 10 feet for 65" because my wife refuses to ruin "her design" by sitting so close to the TV.

IMO, 4K is really impressive if you actually follow the seating guidelines, which I didn't. I did mount on that articulating wall mount I mentioned and yeah, it looks pretty good when I pull the TV 1.5 feet closer to me, but even then I've yet to be amazed. My cousin is supposed to bring me his Mad Max Fury Road 4K this weekend and I was told it would be impressive.

Outside of the 4K, the TV itself does blow my Samsung away. The colours are really vibrant and the black levels are much better. As the screen uses full array local dimming (a fancy way of saying the LED bulbs are in the screen itself, setup in zones, as opposed to the older edge lit displays of prior TVs), the colours pop more and night time or outer space shots really stand out.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I would need to check out my friend's 75" setup as that is a much bigger screen than mine, plus his couch is setup 7 feet away. I'm at 10 feet for 65" because my wife refuses to ruin "her design" by sitting so close to the TV.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I can fully relate. To this day, my wife reminds me on a weekly basis how the TV should have been on top of the fireplace (who cares that I would have needed a neck brace and a chiropractor by viewing it at such a high angle) and if not, it should have been in a corner of the room at an angle (imagine how much room a large TV would chew up at an angle) so that she can enjoy "her design" which is some inexplicable dramatic view of the large window currently "blocked" by the main couch.

The view of the big window is "ruined".

I'm enjoying my TV but cringe at the constant assaults of how the TV has ruined her life. She maintains that a TV should never be visible. It should be hidden cause a large black rectangle on a wall is "ugly". :laugh:

Now I know why you set yourself up in the basement. :laugh:

Last edited:

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
I'm enjoying my TV but cringe at the constant assaults of how the TV has ruined her life. She maintains that a TV should never be visible. It should be hidden cause a large black rectangle on a wall is "ugly".
Threaten her with this.
old-console_thumb.jpg

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
I don't have Netflix or Amazon Prime so I haven't really tested the 4K streaming. I did run some YouTube 4K demos and to be completely honest, I wasn't too impressed.

Avengers Infinity War 4K was nice, but I think I was expecting to be blown away so I wasn't as amazed as I hoped I would be. One thing I do notice though compared to my 1080p Samsung is the picture does look great when I am like 5 feet away. My Samsung, I can clearly see pixels that close.

IMO, 4K is really impressive if you actually follow the seating guidelines, which I didn't. I did mount on that articulating wall mount I mentioned and yeah, it looks pretty good when I pull the TV 1.5 feet closer to me, but even then I've yet to be amazed. My cousin is supposed to bring me his Mad Max Fury Road 4K this weekend and I was told it would be impressive.

Outside of the 4K, the TV itself does blow my Samsung away. The colours are really vibrant and the black levels are much better. As the screen uses full array local dimming (a fancy way of saying the LED bulbs are in the screen itself, setup in zones, as opposed to the older edge lit displays of prior TVs), the colours pop more and night time or outer space shots really stand out.

I am getting a TV with Roku built in, cutting my xfinity/comcast cable TV. I pay 214 a month for TV, internet and Phone, I have subscribed to YouTubeTV and unfortunately Philo TV because my wife wants to watch Hallmark shite. It will still be almost $60 less per month and $720 a year. The only problem is that I won't have the NHL channel, however I subscribe to NHL.com games so all I miss will be the talking heads showing highlights and I will miss Mike Johnson. Come mid-January I should be good to go.

Edit. It is also 4K.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I am getting a TV with Roku built in, cutting my xfinity/comcast cable TV. I pay 214 a month for TV, internet and Phone, I have subscribed to YouTubeTV and unfortunately Philo TV because my wife wants to watch Hallmark ****e. It will still be almost $60 less per month and $720 a year. The only problem is that I won't have the NHL channel, however I subscribe to NHL.com games so all I miss will be the talking heads showing highlights and I will miss Mike Johnson. Come mid-January I should be good to go.

Edit. It is also 4K.

Yeah, I an whether you need 4K or not or if you don’t own or can get 4K content, it shouldn’t matter. Traditional HD televisions are pretty rare where I am so a 4K is really my only option.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
That bad? I heard it was ok, but yeah, not great. I mean, jump scare movies to me get dull after a while and these Halloween movies in the past have been those types rather than the slash'em up movies... which I also get bored with. Been a while since I saw a real good horror movie. I suppose IT 2017 was ok and I did like A Quiet Place except the last 10 seconds.
Yes..it was terribad to me. Felt like just a lazy movie..probably written down in 10 minutes or something just to put something together and use the franchise name to make money. Just garbage.

Reactions: Kimota

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I've loved every season of Narcos...brilliant IMO.

Kevin Hart is hit & miss, I think he's hilarious but only in doses...a entire movie of Kevin Hart's schtick is tiresome.

I think his stand ups are funny..his movies they are too cheesy..pretty much every joke is predictable.

Reactions: 417

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I think his stand ups are funny..his movies they are too cheesy..pretty much every joke is predictable.

I agree about Kevin Hart and I feel this applies to Will Ferrell also. They are ok when they aren’t the only star of the movie and are part of a supporting cast, which also limits their exposure on screen.

Ironic then when both Hart and Ferrell made that movie Get Hard. That was pure eye garbage.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I liked some of Will Ferrell's movies. The Anchorman is a classic, for example. I liked Step Brothers, The other guys and Daddy's home too (by turn your brain off comedy standards).

I don't think I've ever enjoyed any of Hart's work, though. Whether it's stand-up or movies, I just don't understand how he managed to get as big of an audience as he has.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I agree about Kevin Hart and I feel this applies to Will Ferrell also. They are ok when they aren’t the only star of the movie and are part of a supporting cast, which also limits their exposure on screen.

Ironic then when both Hart and Ferrell made that movie Get Hard. That was pure eye garbage.

I prefer Ferrell's humor..he had some good moments. The more I watch step brothers the more I crack up..Blades of Glory was pretty good..Old school as well. I can appreciate some of his dumb humor.

Hart's different..I just can't quite get on board. I'd love more of his stand ups though.

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
The House that Jack Built: 7.8/10 The first half of the movie was on pace to be the best movie of the year but the 2nd half is not quite as strong despite also having some strong moments. Still one of the most memorable movie of the year.Uma Thurman is good in it.

The Kominsky Method season 1: 7.3/10 decent comedy. A quick watch 8 episodes of 30 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad