OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Side note? Whaddya mean, "side note"?

Are you kidding me -- you have new gear and you slip it in as a "side note".

Spill the beans, dude. Your viewing buddies need to know the lowdown.

The usual queries ... why did you decide to go for 4K now, when there isn't a lot of 4K programming available?

Why this set? Why 65"? Price? What's a Nvidia Shield -- thought it was a night cream. Scratch that, not Nivea. What is this media player and why did you go for it? And since TV built in speakers offer a notoriously thin sound, whatdjado about enhancing your sound experience?

Thanks in advance for sharing anything you can. :D

Haha, since you asked.

Got the TV because we just finished our basement renovation back in October. We already have a family room TV upstairs but wanted to setup a hang out spot downstairs (we got a nice wet bar done during our reno and a fireplace feature wall).

Why 4K? May as well as regular 1080p TVs are rare now and makes no sense to get one if 4ks are the same price.

I specifically chose this TV, the Vizio P65 because at its price, it was superior to all other brands. I got it for $1250 at Costco just before Black Friday. Sony’s Bravia 900 I believe is a good comparable but it was like $800 more.

The Vizio P75, so same series but 75” as opposed to 65”, was double the price. We sank a lot of money into the reno and considering we have more furniture to buy, we went with the smaller TV. That said, I got a wall mount where I can pull the TV from the wall so if I wanted the feel of the bigger screen, I’ll just pull the TV forward 2 feet :)

The Nvidia Shield is a 4K capable Android based media box and is capable of running Kodi. One of the main reasons is living in Toronto, watching Habs games can be a challenge. Can’t go into detail due to subject matter, but let’s just say Kodi and Lazyman can help me there.

I also got the Shield because the built in apps in the Vizio are a bit slow. The Shield is very snappy and apps are more responsive.

You are right about the sound... TV speakers suck. I got a nice Vizio 5.1 sound bar setup, also from Costco for $200. It isn’t high end but it is pretty good for the price.

Here is the setup. It is messy and I intend to hide the wires and all that but I’m still setting things up. Sound bar is on the floor now but you can see the tape where I intend to wall mount it. Always nervous about wall mounting TVs as I don’t want to wake up and find it face planted on the floor. I did put the mount in three wall studs though so it should hold.

EF627E20-0952-4FE6-9F8D-B27BF498D251.jpeg

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Haha, since you asked.

Got the TV because we just finished our basement renovation back in October. We already have a family room TV upstairs but wanted to setup a hang out spot downstairs (we got a nice wet bar done during our reno and a fireplace feature wall).

Why 4K? May as well as regular 1080p TVs are rare now and makes no sense to get one if 4ks are the same price.

I specifically chose this TV, the Vizio P65 because at its price, it was superior to all other brands. I got it for $1250 at Costco just before Black Friday. Sony’s Bravia 900 I believe is a good comparable but it was like $800 more.

The Vizio P75, so same series but 75” as opposed to 65”, was double the price. We sank a lot of money into the reno and considering we have more furniture to buy, we went with the smaller TV. That said, I got a wall mount where I can pull the TV from the wall so if I wanted the feel of the bigger screen, I’ll just pull the TV forward 2 feet :)

The Nvidia Shield is a 4K capable Android based media box and is capable of running Kodi. One of the main reasons is living in Toronto, watching Habs games can be a challenge. Can’t go into detail due to subject matter, but let’s just say Kodi and Lazyman can help me there.

I also got the Shield because the built in apps in the Vizio are a bit slow. The Shield is very snappy and apps are more responsive.

You are right about the sound... TV speakers suck. I got a nice Vizio 5.1 sound bar setup, also from Costco for $200. It isn’t high end but it is pretty good for the price.

Here is the setup. It is messy and I intend to hide the wires and all that but I’m still setting things up. Sound bar is on the floor now but you can see the tape where I intend to wall mount it. Always nervous about wall mounting TVs as I don’t want to wake up and find it face planted on the floor. I did put the mount in three wall studs though so it should hold.

View attachment 164749

Nice set-up, congrats! I've finished my basement cinema room a long time ago, it's fully sound proofed, all wired, can create a special dim lighting effect like at the movies, plug and wiring ready in the ceiling to receive a ceiling-mounted video projector and a giant screen.

I felt a sense of relief when I finished it all.

And then, I thought about it. And then I said, f*** it. I'd rather watch my 55 inch TV upstairs. :laugh:

Kudos to you for following through.

Last edited:
Reactions: sandviper

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Not much to watch these days so I just finished another re-watch of The Black Donnellys. It didn't get very good ratings but I still quite enjoyed it.

Reactions: Runner77

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Saw The Red Sparrow with Jennifer Lawrence.

Just an OK movie. I cannot say that I am a fan of films like these which are basically star vehicules rather than a proper movie with a proper story. Because you have to protect your star at all cost whcih means that everything ends well , you have to have someone in the movie that say "you're the best of all of us"(never mind that she did only one mission and she managed to screw everything up) and the character escapes situations that at any time in any places it would not possible and the bad guys act in a stupid manner. Really it's this huge barrier and you cannot go far and really push the story.

It's about the introduction of a ballerina into the World of spies by her uncle, she does one mission where she doesn't really do what she is asked, she acts scared and survive and only wants to jump ship the the states and by the end she becomes the chief of the network in Russia. In what, weeks or months, maybe? Imagine In the Hunt for the Red October where Sean Connery wants to escape to the states, at the end of the movie, he returns to Russia and they gave him an important post, it would be far fetched. Multiply that by one hundred.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I lasted 20 minutes with the Red Sparrow and pulled the plug. The storyline wasn't compelling to me.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Here's a story, I watched the original Halloween around what must have been the early 90s. All I knew was that Jamie Lee Curtis was in it and there was the cool connection that her mother the gorgeous Janet Leigh had also been known to play in another famous horror/thriller Hitchock's Psycho. I saw Halloween and I thought it was awesome but the most shocking thing to me was how Jamie Lee Curtis so plain and average compared to her mother. I mean no charisma, average looks and all that stuff. It's like they basically took a random girl off the street, did not even try to get a good-looking one and put her in their movie(not to mention the so so acting). This movie came out in 1978. Well the other day I watched Prom Night for the first time which came out in 1980. With the same Jaime Lee Curtis. Well she was by far the sexiest woman in the movie, a genuine hot babe. There was a dance floor in the movie and she was ruling it. What kind of witchcraft is this? I'm thinking Body Snatchers type of stealing a body and replacing it with another here. What an incredible change.

It's like either Carpenter did everything possible to make her uglier in Halloween or she watched Halloween and was so distressed by what she saw that she went "holly crap, I better start working out". I know that she probably was a workout junkie around the movie "Perfect" that she made with John Travolta a few years later and maybe she started doing that for Prom Night. Anyway I place this in the incredible unresolved mysteries of the World. :laugh:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Here's a story, I watched the original Halloween around what must have been the early 90s. All I knew was that Jamie Lee Curtis was in it and there was the cool connection that her mother the gorgeous Janet Leigh had also been known to play in another famous horror/thriller Hitchock's Psycho. I saw Halloween and I thought it was awesome but the most shocking thing to me was how Jamie Lee Curtis so plain and average compared to her mother. I mean no charisma, average looks and all that stuff. It's like they basically took a random girl off the street, did not even try to get a good-looking one and put her in their movie(not to mention the so so acting). This movie came out in 1978. Well the other day I watched Prom Night for the first time which came out in 1980. With the same Jaime Lee Curtis. Well she was by far the sexiest woman in the movie, a genuine hot babe. There was a dance floor in the movie and she was ruling it. What kind of witchcraft is this? I'm thinking Body Snatchers type of stealing a body and replacing it with another here. What an incredible change.

It's like either Carpenter did everything possible to make her uglier in Halloween or she watched Halloween and was so distressed by what she saw that she went "holly crap, I better start working out". I know that she probably was a workout junkie around the movie "Perfect" that she made with John Travolta a few years later and maybe she started doing that for Prom Night. Anyway I place this in the incredible unresolved mysteries of the World. :laugh:

I always thought Jamie Lee Curtis looked more like her dad. I can't recall a time when I can say she had an attractive face. But, man did she tend to her body, she must have worked the hell out of it, it was stunning.

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
Roma: 7.5/10 Great cinematography, average story but not very entertaining. It would not be my pick for the oscar for best picture or best foreign movie either.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I always thought Jamie Lee Curtis looked more like her dad. I can't recall a time when I can say she had an attractive face. But, man did she tend to her body, she must have worked the hell out of it, it was stunning.

That is a good point: the face vs the body. But it was shocking to see the difference between Halloween and Prom Night.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

She was never the type of Hollywood actress I ever found attractive, but in True Lies when she was given her “mission”... wow.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Haha, since you asked.

View attachment 164749

Geez man. Do something about those wires and cables. :shakehead :sarcasm:

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal
Roma: 7.5/10 Great cinematography, average story but not very entertaining. It would not be my pick for the oscar for best picture or best foreign movie either.

I'm watching the end of it right now.
Not the best movie ever. It's a really good one. But it has some long scenes.

Worth watching it.
Too bad it's white and black only. I only remember the duck scene down the stairs ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->