Lets talk about Auston Matthews.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
zaitsev's toiqoc was 4th among leaf defenders at even strength last season. it wasn't as hard as you think it was. he was terrible almost all season playing in that role. just because he's never played in a role before doesn't mean he is given the benefit of the doubt by being called a #4. if you post terrible results playing as a 2nd pair defender, then your not really a 2nd pair defender.

Do you even know what ‘TOIQC’ is? If so, please tell me!

Also, Zaitsev played HEAVY PK time too, that should not go ignored...

Also, we appear to have a different definition of role... you can be not a great shut down d man, and still be a 2nd pair guy... think of it this way... what do you think would have happened if Zaitsevs and Gardiner’s role were reversed? If Gardiner was tasked as being the last guy back? Because Zaitsevs role historically was pretty close to the role Gardiner has now...

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Do you even know what ‘TOIQC’ is? If so, please tell me!

Also, Zaitsev played HEAVY PK time too, that should not go ignored...

Also, we appear to have a different definition of role... you can be not a great shut down d man, and still be a 2nd pair guy... think of it this way... what do you think would have happened if Zaitsevs and Gardiner’s role were reversed? If Gardiner was tasked as being the last guy back? Because Zaitsevs role historically was pretty close to the role Gardiner has now...
yes, i know what toiqoc means. its the average quality of competition that you face whenever you are on the ice.

zaitsev didn't suck on the pk, he was decent at it. he sucked at es.

you can be a great shutdown guy and still be a 2nd pairing dman. zaitsev wasn't a good shutdown guy though.

if zaitsev and gardiner reversed roles, gardiner would be a #5 and zaitsev would be a #4.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
yes, i know what toiqoc means. its the average quality of competition that you face whenever you are on the ice.

zaitsev didn't suck on the pk, he was decent at it. he sucked at es.

you can be a great shutdown guy and still be a 2nd pairing dman. zaitsev wasn't a good shutdown guy though.

if zaitsev and gardiner reversed roles, gardiner would be a #5 and zaitsev would be a #4.

Thats not a great description... how is quality of competition calculated?

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
See, this would suggest someone like Hyman is more difficult to play against than a guy like Matthews, wouldn't it?
well no, I'm pretty sure Matthews gets more average time on ice. But you're right, Hyman's ice time does suggest he's more difficult than he actually is. However, I don't think it's really a huge issue as it takes every opponent into consideration. The Leafs are only 1 of 31 teams

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
I know this thread says Matthew's but he and Hyman have gone hand in hand. To those who never set foot on the ice in an organized game, or those who just cant see the reason Hyman has been stuck to him well...

It's odd. Brown is the "better player." Yet when those 2 were with Matthew's Hyman fit just fine Brown did nothing.

You need a guy that can cycle, win battles, stall for time until he stops in and steals it. Hyman is a top guy in the league I think, when it comes to what his job is. Which is, he is a pick hound. I feel especially near the end of the year he started scoring more. Even shocked us with one in the post season, I thought it was Nylander (as I was taking a gulp of beer and didn't see the pass).

Moral of the story? You need certain guys in certain places. Look at McDavid and Leon they were split up put Maroon on the line..bingo. Maroons style is a bit different but not much (vs Hyman).

In theory I dont know if Marleau is a good idea for that first line. Last yr he showed glimpses of toughness, checking and winning battles. But a lot of nights I felt like he drug Kadri down. It went to Marleaus side and oh look he loses the battle..again. Now hypothetically you can say he is an elite passer, fast for his age, so it should work..right? I guess we will see. I can see Hyman fitting in better with JT and Marner..maybe Brown or Ennis get s shot with Auston if Marleau doesn't work. With his age maybe he should play on the 4th line vs lesser competition and then he may well flourish.

Marleau Lindholm Kap?

That would be a speedy and dangerous 4th line.

Have at it. I know people are going to jump all over this post..but that's the fun in it.

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
Im not one to complain about the main boards but man is it ever toxic if you try to talk about Matthews over there.

Apparently hes the most over rated player rofl

This season needs to hurry up so auston can shut up all the haters

I suggest using the ignore function. I started using it and man does it help. I realize there are a lot of haters though. But if you ignore the select group of TWS jock sniffers it makes for a much nicer time on the mainboards. There are a about 7 or 8. If you put them on ignore you eliminate most of the idiocy.

Reactions: Garthinater

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
I suggest using the ignore function. I started using it and man does it help. I realize there are a lot of haters though. But if you ignore the select group of TWS jock sniffers it makes for a much nicer time on the mainboards. There are a about 7 or 8. If you put them on ignore you eliminate most of the idiocy.
who should we ignore. all of them? shit sometimes i ignore lots of people here. it can be fun

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
What about the broken foot he suffered in December that affected him all season long? No pass given for that?
and what about the dreaded sophmore slumppppppp? which did affect marner for the beginning part of the season too. throw in a bad injury and shit can just go bad. Z will be fine. people are spazoids.

Reactions: kb

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
that says more about Dreger than what kind of contract Matthews will get

Matty should come in between 9.5-10.25 million per.

Even though they are different players and ages, Wheeler just signed for 8.5 (I believe) after many good seasons, and a 91pt season as a UFA.

I mean really, how much money does this kid want? it's certainly not McDavid money right this second.

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
Im not one to complain about the main boards but man is it ever toxic if you try to talk about Matthews over there.

Apparently hes the most over rated player rofl

This season needs to hurry up so auston can shut up all the haters

Yet if he wore any other jersey they would say hes underrated and generational and use him to troll oilers fans. Its kind of marvelous that we have someone they want sooo bad and since they cant have him they cry and create a narrative that doesent exsist. Its awesome!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad