Lets talk about Auston Matthews.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melo Meds

Jul 30, 2018
Wouldn’t surprise me one bit if he scores over 50 this year. Despite a couple of injuries he was on pace for 45 last year. He’s still got a lot of untapped potential and is only going to get better.

Reactions: Menzinger

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
I don't think that AM being pissed at Babcock has to do with one game. I think that it has been building for a while.
I'm sure it has to do with having Hyman tattooed to his side for nearly two years now.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
From Mirtle:

"What I’ve heard is that the Leafs will go captain-less all year and then give the ‘C’ to Matthews in time for his fourth season in 2019-20."

JamieG19

Dec 8, 2017
Listen, I love that Matty is a Leaf, but man the resting ***** face and attitude the kid has, he really seems like a *****e, but I love the skill lol

I get what you're saying, but c'mon the truth is most hockey players are jerks as people. Some are just better at faking it than others.

My philosophy has been as long as you realize the majority of players are jerks as people and totally out of touch and self-absorbed and just like them for their on-ice ability, than it's all good.

Did you see Dreger's interview with Matthews and Tavares? What a softee and unprofessional media member. Very typical for the hockey media. Desperately laughing and trying to be in on jokes with Matthews who looked and sounded miserable with no personality and there was Dreger over the top laughing and making jokes. Embarrassing.

Reactions: DanM

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
I get what you're saying, but c'mon the truth is most hockey players are jerks as people. Some are just better at faking it than others.

My philosophy has been as long as you realize the majority of players are jerks as people and totally out of touch and self-absorbed and just like them for their on-ice ability, than it's all good.

Did you see Dreger's interview with Matthews and Tavares? What a softee and unprofessional media member. Very typical for the hockey media. Desperately laughing and trying to be in on jokes with Matthews who looked and sounded miserable with no personality and there was Dreger over the top laughing and making jokes. Embarrassing.

Agreed, and I played junior hockey, seen some great players, and they are jerks today lol

But yeah, as long as the on ice product works, I could care less about them personally, just wish he came off a little better.

That interview was cringe worthy, and I don't blame him for being miserable to a certain degree, always the same damn questions lol

Reactions: JamieG19

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Matty is being groomed to become the leafs captain. Give him another year to grow under Tavares wing and then offer it when he signs a new deal next summer.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Can Maple Leafs' Auston Matthews get more assists than goals? - Sportsnet.ca
good article to break down Matthews' ability as a playmaker. Unsurprisingly, he's actually pretty good at it.

"Looking at the passing tendencies of only the 10 players to hit 31 5-vs-5 assists last season, we can see that overall, they passed the puck in the offensive zone more often than Matthews did, about 3.1 more passes per 20 minutes in total, but Matthews was actually slightly above average in the most important and dangerous pass type; passes to the slot."

"While Matthews passed the puck less often than his peer group, it should be noted that he preferred to make passes that were more difficult, focusing on penetrating the slot and keeping the puck low in the zone with north cycle passes. The top playmakers in the league almost universally like to defer to the point with south cycle passes quite often to make more space for themselves and spread out opposing coverage while Matthews seems to almost prefer to draw opponents towards him and overpower them with his unique combination of stickhandling and physicality."

the narrative that he's not an extremely good playmaker within spitting distance of elite is lazy and inaccurate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad