Lets talk about Auston Matthews.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
The Bruins arent dumb, Matthews dominates possession by using his body to outmuscle and his reach to keep away.The only problem is he is outmuscled by Chara and out reached. There arent many players in the league who can do that, unlucky for us, and Matthews, the Bruins have a player that can.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
It’s odd.

Has looked underwhelming, and it’s not necessarily the novelty of the playoffs as he (and Nylander for that matter) played great last year as rookies.

Is it more Chara than Bergeron that’s been the big factor against him?

It’s been pretty clear the Bruins have focused on keeping him and Nylander away from the middle of the ice and in front of the net

Reactions: ErnieLeafs

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Matthews this series has to be one of the most unclutch playoff performances by a star player in a long time. Worse than playoff mode Joe Thornton.

It's not just him but it's been pretty damn bad. Marner working his tail off taking more hits tonight than Matthews all series. I understand he may have some injury going on but still. Matthews wasn't even skating back hard when coughed up the puck. Matthews and Nylander have been a total let down on effort heart and drive this series. Even if injured you have to compete and get into it and mix it up and they haven't done anything.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Invisible in games 1, 2 and 4. 1 point in 4 games.
Game 2: 17-2 in shot attempts
Game 4: couple chances, bad luck, pretty mistake-free

Game 1 was the only one you can call bad

I'll wait for a healthy Matthews to call him names on performance

Reactions: Loosie

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Most unclutch when he had the GWG in game 3.

God reaction threads are stupid as hell.
He showed up for one shift in game 3. wooooooooptidoooo

Not only did his line get eaten alive in game 2, their line was also responsible for the 2 on 1 goal by Marchand AFTER they iced the puck and were dead tired.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
It’s odd.

Has looked underwhelming, and it’s not necessarily the novelty of the playoffs as he (and Nylander for that matter) played great last year as rookies.

Is it more Chara than Bergeron that’s been the big factor against him?

Not Chara and Bergeron. I think it's that they can't handle a highly physical team just as they couldn't in most physical games during the season. If they want to be winners they will both have to find another gear and play like Marner. Mitch was taking hits and even made some, you could tell he wants to win. These guys, I don't know.

Reactions: The Best Leafs Ever

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
The knee-jerk reactions here are ridiculous.

I'm frustrated and upset too, but this is just stupid.

Matthews will be fine. This was always going to be a tough learning experience.

But the Leafs #1C, and superstar of the future, has now gone two playoff series having seen the best defensive checking from the other team. He's played a full series against Bergeron. These are only good things for him, that will benefit him in the future.

Oh, and before I forget - he's f***ing 20 years old.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
Game 2: 17-2 in shot attempts
Game 4: couple chances, bad luck, pretty mistake-free

Game 1 was the only one you can call bad

I'll wait for a healthy Matthews to call him names on performance
Game 2: Oh please, we were down like 5-0 at that point, no shit the Bruins were gonna sit back and defend, I don't remember him generating any real solid chances despite shot attempts being in favour of his line.
Game 4: Bad luck? Like what? Didn't notice him or Nylander all game long.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
damn, the 3rd local "hottake day" in toronto in the past week..i hope people are being paid time and a half!!!

Lethalsniper007

Aug 2, 2005
Like I said during reg season when he got injured I said trade him we can get a huge return for him what this team needs is defensive... trade him to Arizona. They guy will never be a captain over here he can’t handle the pressure he wouldn’t even speak to the media what joke and he’s expecting a huge contract... win or loose .. sundin did it. Gilmour did it. I say marner for captain the guy has heart. And let’s sign Tavares give him what he wants.

kesleaf

Mar 3, 2011
Lmao

I'm lovin' these dumbass threads. Keep it going boys.

These young guns aren't cup contenders just yet. Let them gain experience and learn. Our time will come.

Reactions: hurricanematthews

Lethalsniper007

Aug 2, 2005
Lmao

These young guns aren't cup contenders just yet. Let them gain experience and learn. Our time will come.
What we are not talking about winning the cup talking about winning game 4 or 1 series.. I know there not going to win the cup especially with shit Defence. Experience? Doesn’t last year count ?

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
Lmao

Yeah we signed 38 year old Patrick Marleau who was looking for a Stanley Cup before he retired AND CHOSE US to give him that shot, for "learning experiences". We signed 36 year old Ron Hainsey for "learning experiences", we traded for 35 year old Tomas Plekanec at the trade deadline for "learning experiences".

Fact is, we geared up for a cup run, posted a franchise best win and points record and flopped, and part of it is because of players like Matthews not doing his part.

luvdahattymatty

Apr 8, 2018
All I can say from watching him live past 4 games in Boston and Toronto is he is NOT ready to do what is necessary to win yet. The skating and positioning and skill is all there but the want to win at all costs is NOT. He is NOT ready to impose his will on the game yet. Until he does have that confidence the team will NOT win.

Reactions: glue

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
What we are not talking about winning the cup talking about winning game 4 or 1 series.. I know there not going to win the cup especially with **** Defence. Experience? Doesn’t last year count ?

Boston this year is a much harder opponent than Washington last year. I have no doubt if this team played Washington last year they'd be up 3-1 or have swept at this point. The problem is nobody wants to admit that the Bruins this year are a really good team. I honestly don't think Tampa stands a chance in round 2 either, Penguins will be the first "real" test for them in the conference finals. At the end of the day, they Leafs got absolutely screwed by the playoff format.

kesleaf

Mar 3, 2011
Yeah we signed 38 year old Patrick Marleau who was looking for a Stanley Cup before he retired AND CHOSE US to give him that shot, for "learning experiences". We signed 36 year old Ron Hainsey for "learning experiences", we traded for 35 year old Tomas Plekanec at the trade deadline for "learning experiences".

Fact is, we geared up for a cup run, posted a franchise best win and points record and flopped, and part of it is because of players like Matthews not doing his part.

You really think Lou was relying on these old f***ers to win them the cup? Lol

Yeah no. The key players on this team need to step up in order for us to win. And by key I mean Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Kadri, Rielly, Gardiner, Anderson - some are playing great and some are clearly overwhelmed by the pressure which is totally fine - they are young and will get better with time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad