Lets talk about Auston Matthews.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Still kind of amazing to remember that Matthews is a Leaf. Really glad we got lucky in that lotto and got this guy.

We'll see what his contract ends up looking like. But awesome that he's already this good and still on his entry level deal. Can't wait to see how good he gets down the road when he's really in his prime.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
You're crazy if you think he can't demand that money.

Sure he can demand $12M USD but we are not talking about what he will ask for and what he will end up with. If he gets $12Mx8, prepare for the cap to be a big factor on who stays and who goes.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Sure he can demand $12M but we are not talking about what he will ask for and what he will end up with. If he gets $12Mx8, prepare for the cap to be a big factor on who stays and who goes.

If he gets $12M we're unfortunately going to have to part with some of the pieces further down the lineup. I'm guessing Kadri and Brown.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
If he gets $12M we're unfortunately going to have to part with some of the pieces further down the lineup. I'm guessing Kadri and Brown.

I'd like to keep Kadri but I could live with that. Find a Kadri lite to play #3C with reduced minutes and increase JT and AM's minutes.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
You're crazy if you think he can't demand that money.
Demand and final price are much different.
In some weird way his agent could maybe twist and come in at 12.5.
Just like the leafs could come in at 9 million.
Than they meet in the middle :thumbu:

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
It would be Nylander as both Brown and Kadri are players who compete hard. Wonder how Mathews would like to play with Brown vs Nylander. As that would be communicated to him.

He is not getting 12m at all.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
His contact will be very interesting. He's been held back from increasing his point total by ice time and injuries. His 5 on 5 game is almost second to none in the league. The real gap is his PP time and production compared to other elite stars.

I think Eichel is the absolute floor, but I see him netting out in the 10.5-12 range. If he wins a Hart Trophy this year, no reason he can't get McDavid money.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Zaitsev isn't good enough to play top 4 and is way overpaid to be on the bottom pairing. Unless he takes a big step forward this year, he has to go

You must have high expectations on what a Top 4 dman is... Zaitsev is a #4 now who can become a #3!

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Zaitsev isn't good enough to play top 4 and is way overpaid to be on the bottom pairing. Unless he takes a big step forward this year, he has to go
What about the broken foot he suffered in December that affected him all season long? No pass given for that?

Reactions: The Rat King

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
What about the broken foot he suffered in December that affected him all season long? No pass given for that?
I can't really say for sure how much he was affected by that, as well as illness + his new child. What I do know is that he was completely unable to handle top 4 minutes last year. Maybe he shows that he can turn things around for next year, but if not then he should be shipped out

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I can't really say for sure how much he was affected by that, as well as illness + his new child. What I do know is that he was completely unable to handle top 4 minutes last year. Maybe he shows that he can turn things around for next year, but if not then he should be shipped out
It was a rough season all round for him, and you rightly pointed that out. The Leafs D is so much better if he even just returns to his rookie form. Now is not the time to be trading away RD. He gets a season to prove himself.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
You must have high expectations on what a Top 4 dman is... Zaitsev is a #4 now who can become a #3!
He's a #5 with a little chance of becoming a #4. It's unlikely he gets dealt and if the leafs can trade him without getting any significant salary back, they should do it without any hesitation.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
He's a #5 with a little chance of becoming a #4. It's unlikely he gets dealt and if the leafs can trade him without getting any significant salary back, they should do it without any hesitation.

Okay, I’ll let the troll tell me about the player I watched every game last season... I’m not even sure you’re a Leafs fan...

A #5 would have even been worse than Zaitsev last season if put in the same situation. I don’t think people realize the tough minutes Zaitsev played last year, and pretty much adapting to a role he historically never had before...

Reactions: kb

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Okay, I’ll let the troll tell me about the player I watched every game last season... I’m not even sure you’re a Leafs fan...

A #5 would have even been worse than Zaitsev last season if put in the same situation. I don’t think people realize the tough minutes Zaitsev played last year, and pretty much adapting to a role he historically never had before...
zaitsev's toiqoc was 4th among leaf defenders at even strength last season. it wasn't as hard as you think it was. he was terrible almost all season playing in that role. just because he's never played in a role before doesn't mean he is given the benefit of the doubt by being called a #4. if you post terrible results playing as a 2nd pair defender, then your not really a 2nd pair defender.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
zaitsev's toiqoc was 4th among leaf defenders at even strength last season. it wasn't as hard as you think it was. he was terrible almost all season playing in that role. just because he's never played in a role before doesn't mean he is given the benefit of the doubt by being called a #4. if you post terrible results playing as a 2nd pair defender, then your not really a 2nd pair defender.
didn't Zaitsev play more minutes per game than anyone else before his injury?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad