Lets Remember Some Guys

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Robert Dome - late 90s first round pick (reach) that played maybe a dozen nhl games. Pens scouts really outsmarted themselves with that pick.

Rod Buskas - manly name, manly mustache

I, sadly, have seen Robert Dome play many a time for HC Slovan Bratislava in his two year stint there.

He was actually quite good! (I say sadly because I am no fan of Slovan Bratislava, or Bratislava the city.)

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Wasn't Mike Condon a Penguin for, like, an hour?

Anyways, I'm sure there's some guy worth mentioning from the latter years of Shero/first year of Rutherford. Most of them were plugs, but some of them were serviceable players. I’m thinking of guys like Comrie and Comeau.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
Maxim Galanov. Played here during hte 1998-99 season. I remember him because he scored the OT goal at the first NHL game I ever went to. I'll never forget that moment.

Other than that he's done nothing of note.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I have an affinity for a lot of the random bottom-pair quality Dmen who got playing time due to in injuries in the first few Bylsma seasons. Martin Skoula, Alexandre Picard, etc. Were they good? No, but I remember 'em!

I remember listening to 05-06 Pens games in my dorm room and then watching them in 06-07 in my apartment. Some of the obscure names that rotated through those first couple seasons are fun to think about.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
The first game I ever went to was utterly dominated by the Penguins' future Hall-of-Famers of the mid-90s, even the guy we dealt for one of the worst players in team history...Naslund hat trick, Jagr 2+1, Lemieux 3A, Francis 2A. Naturally the goal I remember most clearly was scored by none other than François Leroux. In the third game I ever went to Leroux picked up 22 PIMs and beat the ever-loving shit out of Tony Twist.

I mean...Mario Lemieux also scored 15 points in those 3 games...but that was almost expected. I probably saw the peaks of Leroux's career out of sheer good timing :laugh:

The Penguins scored 7, 9, and 8 goals in the first 3 games I went to...no wonder the Penguins are the one part of Pittsburgh that I'll never let go of.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
The first game I ever went to was utterly dominated by the Penguins' future Hall-of-Famers of the mid-90s, even the guy we dealt for one of the worst players in team history...Naslund hat trick, Jagr 2+1, Lemieux 3A, Francis 2A. Naturally the goal I remember most clearly was scored by none other than François Leroux. In the third game I ever went to Leroux picked up 22 PIMs and beat the ever-loving shit out of Tony Twist.

I mean...Mario Lemieux also scored 15 points in those 3 games...but that was almost expected. I probably saw the peaks of Leroux's career out of sheer good timing :laugh:

The Penguins scored 7, 9, and 8 goals in the first 3 games I went to...no wonder the Penguins are the one part of Pittsburgh that I'll never let go of.

Absolutely adore your avatar (my favourite film ever)... and your story is pretty cool too!

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Wasn't Mike Condon a Penguin for, like, an hour?

Anyways, I'm sure there's some guy worth mentioning from the latter years of Shero/first year of Rutherford. Most of them were plugs, but some of them were serviceable players. I’m thinking of guys like Comrie and Comeau.

Longer then that. We actually got him off waivers than converted him into a 5th round pick.

Reactions: BHD

LosingStreak06

Dec 11, 2017
Here’s my contribution to the “that guy” lore:

Toby Petersen

Set the Baby Pens scoring record in 01, which stood for a good while before it was broken by (I think) Janne Pesonen. Petersen played a couple of seasons for the Pens and eventually ended up on the Stars. He won several speed competitions at AHL All-Star games, and perhaps most impressively, played with an insulin drip hooked up to him his whole career because he’s type 1 diabetic.

Later in his career he played on the Stars NHL squad when they faced the Redwings in the Western Conference finals (the same year they beat us for the Cup) and Petersen’s line was matched against the Zetterberg line, matching them goal-for-goal in Game 4 and holding the so-called Super Line scoreless for the first time in something like 11 playoff games during Game 5.

Petersen was a tough, undersized grinder and he managed to carve out a decent little career for himself.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.

Was that the game Leroux taped foil onto his knuckles?

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Here’s my contribution to the “that guy” lore:

Toby Petersen

Set the Baby Pens scoring record in 01, which stood for a good while before it was broken by (I think) Janne Pesonen. Petersen played a couple of seasons for the Pens and eventually ended up on the Stars. He won several speed competitions at AHL All-Star games, and perhaps most impressively, played with an insulin drip hooked up to him his whole career because he’s type 1 diabetic.

Later in his career he played on the Stars NHL squad when they faced the Redwings in the Western Conference finals (the same year they beat us for the Cup) and Petersen’s line was matched against the Zetterberg line, matching them goal-for-goal in Game 4 and holding the so-called Super Line scoreless for the first time in something like 11 playoff games during Game 5.

Petersen was a tough, undersized grinder and he managed to carve out a decent little career for himself.

Oh man great call. Always liked Petersen.

His Mario-fed hat trick was one of the worst/best hat tricks I've ever seen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad