Speculation: Let's make a list of players that "Could" Be traded for our 1st Round Pick (11th Overall)

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
If this is the model they've chosen ("Going for it") than a pick in this draft that is unlikely to contribute in the next 2-3 years, there's no point in keeping it.

Keeping guys on ELCs makes sense on good teams, not teams with the crap salary cap structure the Canucks have. It's the crux of my criticism of this new management. You either "Go for It" or completely rebuild. Instead they've settled on permanent mediocrity.

It's like they want their cake and eat it too.

But just trading the pick also doesn't make sense. Everything is currency to make the team better, and if you aren't using it to make the team better but just to use it, you may as well hold it, draft, and use that player down the line again as currency.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
But just trading the pick also doesn't make sense. Everything is currency to make the team better, and if you aren't using it to make the team better but just to use it, you may as well hold it, draft, and use that player down the line again as currency.

If this was a top 5 pick yes. But it's not. It's the ballpark of players that won't be ready to contribute.

So you might as well use that as currency to get rid of the problem contracts that are in the way.

Can't just wait until bad contracts expire. Seems like they're ready to just let Myers' contract play out but you still got OEL/Garland/Boeser.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Canucks trade the #11 overall pick Rathbone and Garland and Boeser to:

Habs for Florida's pick between # 29-32 (depending on where Florida finishes), Darch, Andersson and Logan Mailoux (once redeemed, and forgiven).

Could work for both teams.

Eh...this feels like a very bad move.

Reactions: racerjoe

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
If this was a top 5 pick yes. But it's not. It's the ballpark of players that won't be ready to contribute.

So you might as well use that as currency to get rid of the problem contracts that are in the way.

Can't just wait until bad contracts expire. Seems like they're ready to just let Myers' contract play out but you still got OEL/Garland/Boeser.

Giving the first away for Garland or Beoser is stupid... No team even with 11 are taking OEL.

You aren't making the team better, and again just because you pick a player doesn't mean you can' t move him later when it makes more sense.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
I'd love to get Dobson, but that will never happen.

And otherwise, the only way I'd be at all happy to move the pick is if we we packaging up OEL along with it. And even then, I think it's more than a little likely that OEL will be sent to Robidas Island by the end of next season, so why waste the pick?

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
You either "Go for It" or completely rebuild.
Is that really true though? It takes some time to build a contender. What we want is a consistent playoff team first. You don't throw all of your eggs in one basket while you're trying to get a competitive team. You do when you have a competitive team in place, that is a top 5 team in the league.

Having productive guys on ELCs settle into roles and replace some of the redundant older guys while our young elite players get even better is the way to go.

dwarf

Feb 13, 2007
Victoria, B.C.
The Canucks are so far over the cap, they can't trade for new players until they clean out the trash.

The deal that makes the most sense is OEL and our 1st to Chicago or Zona.

Diablo2020

Feb 11, 2020
Calgary
I can see the Arizona-San Jose type trade from last year, with a tweak for under 25 NHLers added instead.

Columbus is a perfect target with young RHD

For reference, it was #11 for #27, #34, #45.

In our case, #11 for

Corson Ceulemans (#25 RHD in 2021)
#34 Overall (CBJ 2023 2nd)
Andrew Peeke (RHD worth a 2nd imo)

We still get a high pick, and we address two RHD problems while Columbus takes the Conor Geekie of their 2023 choice.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
I can see the Arizona-San Jose type trade from last year, with a tweak for under 25 NHLers added instead.

Columbus is a perfect target with young RHD

For reference, it was #11 for #27, #34, #45.

In our case, #11 for

Corson Ceulemans (#25 RHD in 2021)
#34 Overall (CBJ 2023 2nd)
Andrew Peeke (RHD worth a 2nd imo)

We still get a high pick, and we address two RHD problems while Columbus takes the Conor Geekie of their 2023 choice.

Peeke a young skilled RD [email protected]

We would be lucky to get Peeke for the 11th overall 1 for 1 swap.

You're on the moon if you think he's only valued at a 2nd.

Reactions: DarrenX

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
The Canucks are so far over the cap, they can't trade for new players until they clean out the trash.

Makes zero sense on the basis of OEL'S NMC alone.

Diablo2020

Feb 11, 2020
Calgary
Peeke a young skilled RD [email protected]

We would be lucky to get Peeke for the 11th overall 1 for 1 swap.

You're on the moon if you think he's only valued at a 2nd.
Andrew Peeke would be an incredible upgrade to our right side of defense but thats more because we have garbage depth, not because hes a world beater.

Age 23/24 - 82-2-13-15 with a -14
Age 24/25 - 80-6-7-13 with a -41

That doesnt scream #11 overall in a deep draft unless your making a Griffin Reinhart type mistake.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Andrew Peeke would be an incredible upgrade to our right side of defense but thats more because we have garbage depth, not because hes a world beater.

Age 23/24 - 82-2-13-15 with a -14
Age 24/25 - 80-6-7-13 with a -41

That doesnt scream #11 overall in a deep draft unless your making a Griffin Reinhart type mistake.

Your analysis of his value is off. Peeke is a young & cost controlled player. He plays the right side and has a ton of upside - especially defensively.

His numbers don't look good but that's not the only way to evaluate a player, especially a defenseman - also hes playing for Columbus all players stats are taking a plunge there right now. Peeke is not a throw in trade for Columbus right now he's actually a bit of a hidden gem.

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
K'andre Miller or to a lesser extent Brandon Carlo +, but Bos is a bad trading partner because we both need to shed salary. Peeke is worth a 2nd.

Think it would be better to buy out OEL than attach an asset like the 11th to get rid of him, though ownership may disagree.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
this team is going nowhere if it uses an 11oa to pay full retail for an established player with a significant cap hit unless it has moved cap first. for one thing we can't afford to add that cap to the roster until we move some cap out. we made the mistake last year of signing mikhaelev without having first moved cap and it wound up costing us a 2nd round pick just to move dickinson.

we also do not have the cap space to defend ourselves from offer sheets and so we leave ourselves wide open to losing assets if we go there.

what this team has to do is move cap out first. until they do that all they can do is make some educated gambles on distressed assets whether by ufa or trade.

using the 11oa just to move cap space to make other moves is possible but horrible to contemplate. i think it more likely we will dump a garland or boeser for minimal return to do that.

finally, if these guys have confidence in themselves and this team they have to see the 11oa as their last chance to add a significant prospect to the pool for a while. i am fairly sure they will keep the pick to do that and, most likely, use it on a big dman.

DarrenX

Apr 15, 2014

pay a 1st to bring in OEL, pay another 1st to get rid of him. I like it.

The OEL trade was an abomination from the day it was made. Utterly cynical and short-sighted, and here we are. I wish we could rehire Benning for one day just so we could fire him again. Can't fire the owner, unfortunately.

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
peeke isn't worth close to a 2nd. he'll be lucky to keep his spot in the lineup with jiricek, blankenburg, boqvist and gudbranson all on the roster

(yes, gudbranson sucks, but they're not gonna waive/trade him)
Funny that you mention because Gudbranson because when the canucks traded for him and what Andrew Peeke is now right are very similar profiles. 24 year old defenders that are big and skate pretty well are physical but lack hockey iq to be top 4 defenders on good teams.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
Of the players listed in the OP, I would think strongly about Schneider or Byfield. Dobson is intruiging but I can't see NYI doing it, and the money is tougher to fit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad