Speculation: Let's make a list of players that "Could" Be traded for our 1st Round Pick (11th Overall)

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
This team made it quite clear, they have ZERO intention of Rebuilding or "Building for the Future"
So let's move on from that Notion, Put our heads together, and figure out a list of Potential trade Partners for Players/Needs in this "Retool" That we are 100% Doing.

The Chances of the pick being traded no doubt increased with the most recent interview, He did not Deny it categorically, Said the usual "We will do What is best for the team" Gargon

Here are a few names that stand out for me, That I would be Comfortable Trading the Pick for.
(PS - I am not saying these are going to happen, Just throwing potential names into the fire)

1 - Braden Schneider - Lots of Rangers fans are Pissed off with Him this recent Run.
2 - K'Andre Miller - Same with Miller, Many of the Fanbase from What I have seen are fine with trading him for the "Right Deal"
3 - Noah Dobson - Long Shot, But with the Islanders Failing in the playoffs again, and Noah getting paid bigtime in the next few years, Could be a small shot.
4 - Quinton Byfield - He looked "Okay" For the Kings in the playoffs, With Kopitar leaving soon, I doubt they move him, But has not lived up to his stock so far into his early career.

That's all I can think about for now, Let's add more names to the pool.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
It's got to be a home run. Top 4 dman or bust.

There's a very good chance this pick could be better than the youngish player we trade for though so this move could really be frought with danger. I would want to see who was on the board on the draft floor first, and even then...

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Without cap space it's not an option and lessening the return by getting the team to take back cap is about as smart as trading the 9OA and 1yr of 12million for a tiny 3rd line winger and a 3rd pair LD for 5/6yrs and 68 million

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If he Canucks deal their 11th overall pick, it would mean that in one of the deepest drafts in recent NHL history, the lottery-land Canucks would have traded two first rounders; and their second rounder.

It's absolutely ludicrous--which is the reason this regime will probably do it. Let's face it, the 11th overall pick isn't likely to be of any immediate help to them for at least a couple of seasons. And this team is 'going for it'. Although nobody knows what that means.

Of course to compound the futility, the Canucks' absolutely meaningless win streak down the stretch caused them to slide down the draft board in the first place.

This mediocrity thing is a 'slippery slope'.

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
Without cap space it's not an option and lessening the return by getting the team to take back cap is about as smart as trading the 9OA and 1yr of 12million for a tiny 3rd line winger and a 3rd pair LD for 5/6yrs and 68 million

When you write that out it...stings.

Reactions: Nick Lang

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
I would be willing to trade this year and next years first (with lottery protection) for Mason McTavish and a 2nd or something (followed by trading Miller and re-investing in the defence).

Anaheim probably considers Fantlili/Zegras to be their guys.

Last edited:

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
Carlo
Morrow
Lorio
Jiricek
Clarke
Addison
Faber
Rossi
Sanderson
Drysdale
Perfetti
Holtz
Lundell
Guhle

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I would be willing to trade this year and next years first (with lottery protection) for Mason McTavish and a 2nd or something (followed by trading Miller and re-investing in the defence).

Anaheim probably considers Fantlili/Zegras to be their guys.
Why is ANA doing this? McTavish just had a very strong rookie season. He absolutely is in their core, and is more likely to be a long-term center at this point than Zegras. They moved Zegras to the wing down the stretch but kept Mac at center.

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
Don’t trade the draft pick period .

We are not ready for win now trades and plus we already made that win now trade for Hronek we are lucky we still have our 1st and two 3rds plus having the three 4ths we can use one of those and our 3rd to trade back into the 2nd round for a pick in the 50-59 range if there is a player Allvin likes he will go for it .

But the answer is no do not trade for a defenseman .

Johansson is coming over , Woo is ready for NHL games plus we have Mcward and Hrose now as well so we have defensive depth ready too contribute

Reactions: Ninjadude

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
When you write that out it...stings.
Crazy part is that a 9OA or 11OA should hit and when it does that is another 15-25 million in cap savings during their ELC and maybe even a 2yr bridge like Martin Necas signed in Carolina that adds a almost ppg player vs 3 million dollar contract value. It's absolutely massive what that can do for roster flexibility and why a team that has very little U23 type value players needs to use that pick and draft/develop.

We paid 68-12 = 56 million plus the 15-25 million in loss which Guenther will provide for Arizona's cap situation for 2 players that are not even good top6 top4s we will be lucky to get a middling asset and another we probably end up buying out. That net is a devastating asset value loss.

We need to make the pick

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Outside of Benning becoming the GM of another team, I don’t see a positive outcome from us trading this pick. It’d be ludicrous to do it.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
Not saying it won't happen, but for a team as bad as the Canucks, to trade 4 1st round picks in 4 years seems absolutely insane. Not to mention the numerous 2nd round picks as well. With how badly our management has bungled up the cap, we need ELC's on the roster, and trading these premium picks will not be helpful in that regards.

Personally I wouldn't trade this pick unless we get a young (sub 24) top 4 RHD that has already established himself in the NHL. Or a young 2C that also has established himself in the league. If I'm trading it for somebody whos older and still not yet established, I might as well take my chance at a much younger guy via the draft. If nobody offers that up, then I happily keep the pick and make a selection.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Not saying it won't happen, but for a team as bad as the Canucks, to trade 4 1st round picks in 4 years seems absolutely insane. Not to mention the numerous 2nd round picks as well. With how badly our management has bungled up the cap, we need ELC's on the roster, and trading these premium picks will not be helpful in that regards.

If this is the model they've chosen ("Going for it") than a pick in this draft that is unlikely to contribute in the next 2-3 years, there's no point in keeping it.

Keeping guys on ELCs makes sense on good teams, not teams with the crap salary cap structure the Canucks have. It's the crux of my criticism of this new management. You either "Go for It" or completely rebuild. Instead they've settled on permanent mediocrity.

It's like they want their cake and eat it too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad