OT: Lets Go Birds! (All Baseball Talk Here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I like what I’ve seen out of O’Neill so far in the couple games against the Royals and Pirates. He’s laying off some good pitches, and hitting them hard when they’re in the zone. Bader has been the total opposite. Watching several pitches in the middle of the plate.

Third inning and we have Wong bunting. I hate it so much. He’s a very good hitter, let him swing!

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Manfred is going to fine Shildt for going to his bullpen with the bases empty, two outs in the ninth in a 9-1 game :laugh:

Pirates are real bad, but the boys look pretty good.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO

MLB’s season may be DOA.

Edit -- It seems Cardinals have multiple cases

Last edited:

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I knew this season would have some rough patches, but I didn’t really expect it to go off the rails this quickly. Week one and it’s a total gong show. I wonder what would need to happen for the league to just give it up? It’s already a scheduling nightmare that has made them resort to 7 inning double headers like 13 year old travel ball.

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
7 inning double headers are kind of cool
I watched my brother play a whole bunch of these in college

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
Trying 30 different bubbles was going to be a clown show eventually, didn't quite expect it to happen this quick

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I expected the MLB to have problems with the virus since they're not within a bubble, I think right now that's the best format for any sport. But I didn't think it would be so soon. I would say Marlins were strike 1, Cards are strike 2.... we all know the saying "One, Two, Three strikes you're out at the old ball game" so I would think if this continues they at least have to explore moving more into bubbles if not cancelling all together.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
lol mlb is a joke this year anyways. who the f*** wants DH in baseball along with their clown show extra inning rules. MLBs commissioner needs to be fired already and cancel this season.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
This years Cards team is heading for a top 10 pick. One of the worst Cards teams in a long time

Reactions: The Note

Kreegz2

Dec 11, 2011
It's not real baseball with a DH anyway. Might as well shut it all down and spare us all the indignity of suffering through this masquerade.

Reactions: TheDizee

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
I'm not a baseball purist, but I still don't understand the disdain for the DH. I don't much care if it exists or not, but I don't understand why some people genuinely hate the concept.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I'm not a baseball purist, but I still don't understand the disdain for the DH. I don't much care if it exists or not, but I don't understand why some people genuinely hate the concept.
I don’t hate it, but I do think the game is more interesting without it. There’s so much more strategy when the pitcher is in the lineup. So many more difficult decisions and managers have a much bigger influence on the game. With the DH they make the lineup and then sit back and wait until they need to use their bullpen. The three batter minimum that they’ve implemented has added some strategy into the game, which I like quite a lot, but I would like it even more if the pitchers had to hit.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
I don’t hate it, but I do think the game is more interesting without it. There’s so much more strategy when the pitcher is in the lineup. So many more difficult decisions and managers have a much bigger influence on the game. With the DH they make the lineup and then sit back and wait until they need to use their bullpen. The three batter minimum that they’ve implemented has added some strategy into the game, which I like quite a lot, but I would like it even more if the pitchers had to hit.
I guess that’s fair.

I agree on the three batter minimum idea. I appreciate the greater cost-benefit with bullpen choices.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Take a knee and pull the plug.

The players didn't seem like they wanted to play anyway.

I've moved on.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
The baseball draft is SUCH a crapshoot. That’s not how good teams are built in baseball. Dodgers, Yankees don’t have a single top ten pick in their starting lineup(at least position players, I didn’t dive into all of the pitchers on the rosters.) The only top five pick in the Nationals lineup last year was Ryan Zimmerman from 2004. The Astros are really the only great team that has built from the draft and they were historically bad for many years to get to even a semi-respectable level. Only two of the top ten players in WAR last year were top ten selections, and one of them was from ‘04.

Tanking just doesn’t work very well in baseball. Trades, international free agents, and quality development are the keys to success in baseball.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
The baseball draft is SUCH a crapshoot. That’s not how good teams are built in baseball. Dodgers, Yankees don’t have a single top ten pick in their starting lineup(at least position players, I didn’t dive into all of the pitchers on the rosters.) The only top five pick in the Nationals lineup last year was Ryan Zimmerman from 2004. The Astros are really the only great team that has built from the draft and they were historically bad for many years to get to even a semi-respectable level. Only two of the top ten players in WAR last year were top ten selections, and one of them was from ‘04.

Tanking just doesn’t work very well in baseball. Trades, international free agents, and quality development are the keys to success in baseball.

the Cubs and Astros disagree. Having a couple years drafting in the top 5 would go a long way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad