Let's give credit where credit is due, this team is good.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
a full year yeah sure...

care to remind us of the great moves he's made since the season started ?
and the moves he's made during last season that are so great ?
Why does it have to be exclusively during the season? Do GMs get extra points if they make moves during the season? What a silly question I asked. In your mind of course it does.

Valiev & Taormina - Kulak
Patches - Tatar, Suzuki, 2nd 19
Bourque - Armia, 7th 19, 4th 20
Galchenyuk - Domi
Morrow - 4th 18
5th rd 18 - Reilly
Plekanec & Baun - 2nd 18, Rychel & Valiev
Jerabek - 5th 19
Montoya - 4th 18

Hired Ducharme, Bouchard and Richardson for the coaching staff. Released Lefebvre, JJD and Lacroix. If you had followed the Canadian juniors in the years 17 & 18 the hiring of Ducharme and Bouchard would have been a clue to the new system the Habs would adopt.

When you place the hirings, the signings and the trades side by side, you see MB wanted a different identity for the team. He achieved the change over in practically no time.

Last edited:

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
I don't want rentals for the same reason Tatar didn't work out for Vegas last season.

It's a "you weren't riding when the chips were down" kinda deal. Would be an annoying hub bub for a week about some random who shows up once the group we have worked their asses off to get us to where we are. Could see it making us worse tbh.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
And that's not sustainable, but that's okay. Nothing wrong with having a middle 6 center on your roster who can jump up and down the lineup as injuries occur. That's what he would be on a true cup contending team.
When you say unsustainable do you mean over the next 7 years or the next 7 months? All good players can't sustain their performance over the long haul. Every player has peak years. Even Crosby has seen a dip in his play. Danault is in his peak years and he'll sustain this performance for at least a few years yet.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
He's totally replaceable. I would take 2 seconds for him tomorrow. If you want to talk about a REAL great no 2 C, look at Kevin Hayes. I would KILL for Habs to get him. He blows Danault out of the water. You guys need to watch more games around the league.

And what does Kevin Hayes has on Danault?

Danault beats him in any possible stat existing out there this season!

Before watching games around the league you should probably focus more on the Habs games.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Career years tend to happen when you hve a young roster filled with players playing larger roles than they ever had
So it's not really career years, since as long as they keep their roles the production will remain the same.

No need to wait any longer then, the players will produce at the same level for years - no less - let's spend some assets to get us over the top and bring back that cup.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Yeah, we finished 1st in our division and everything was in place for a long PO run since our division was not strong.....he didn't put that team over the top and went for bargain bin deals to get Ott, Martinsen, King that were all a disaster.

Is keeping 1st round picks instead of going for it in 2013-2014 was the right way to go? We got Scherback and McCarron instead of going for it because we were "building for the future". Yet, he didn't put that team over the top to protect a future that brought absolutely nothing at all, not even another pick.

Just like Radulov. Had to save money for the future. Had to look smart. Had to not overpay. Wheels might fall off in 4 years....Freaking pay him, don't look back, throw the dice and run with it. You know i keep reading how the Habs should go after a big talented right winger for the last week.

Right now he might need to overpay to get what he need which is a good PMD left defensemen and take a dangerous gamble....freaking do it. Stop with the bargain bin long term magic beans solutions , the problem is now. Fixed it.

Toronto took a hell of a gamble trading a 1st round pick and a 2nd round pick (Oh no they traded futures while rebuilding) for Andersen who at the time wasn't really consider a real #1 goalie. But they did their job, took a gamble, overpay but the Leafs would not be where they are without him in the last 2 years.

But those picks turn out to be Sam Steel and Maxime comtois. Do you think leafs' fan freaking care?
Yes it might bite them in the ass, but they got what they needed and they are where they are because they have made that dangerous but needed move.
In his presser MB said he would not mortgage the future for a rental. He said nothing about making a hockey trade. He might trade prospects and picks to fill the holes in the team with players that have term on their contracts. The question is will he be willing to pay what it takes.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque

Before watching games around the league you should probably focus more on the Habs games.

I don't know man, is .82PPG better than .72PPG ? (1st stat that came to mind, didn't look the other ones)

Look, everybody knows you love Danault, and, I really like him too, and think he does great this season with great talent on the wings, like he did 2 years ago when he was playing with Pacioretty and Radulov (because we had no other choices).

But maybe YOU should watch games around the league to understand he's a great middle-6 forward, not a pure top-6 one.

I think the team's been lacking several talented forwards for so long that nowadays, anytime one produces at a decent clip someone goes apeshit and claims he's a star forward.

Kotkaniemi will push him down in the near future, and I hope one of Poehling/Suzuki does as well.

Know why ?

Because having Danault as a 3rd line center would be goddamn luxury. Or even as 2nd line LW, cause he can play there if needed.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Why does it have to be exclusively during the season? Do GMs get extra points if they make moves during the season? What a silly question I asked. In your mind of course it does.

Valiev & Taormina - Kulak
Patches - Tatar, Suzuki, 2nd 19
Bourque - Armia, 7th 19, 4th 20
Galchenyuk - Domi

Morrow - 4th 18
5th rd 18 - Reilly
Plekanec & Baun - 2nd 18, Rychel & Valiev
Jerabek - 5th 19
Montoya - 4th 18

Hired Ducharme, Bouchard and Richardson for the coaching staff. Released Lefebvre, JJD and Lacroix. If you had followed the Canadian juniors in the years 17 & 18 the hiring of Ducharme and Bouchard would have been a clue to the new system the Habs would adopt.

When you place the hirings, the signings and the trades side by side, you see MB wanted a different identity for the team. He achieved the change over in practically no time.
that's a serious question ? :laugh:

you're the one who said it wasnt just a good off season but a good YEAR... a good year where we don't take the in-season makes into account ? a good YEAR that lasted a whole 4 months! :help: :help: :laugh: :laugh:

and it's like all the moves that are having an impact on the 18-19 Habs, like the bolded, did not happen in the off-season... or maybe you think Habs are doing great cause of the 4th and 5th acquired in the Morrow, Jerabek and Montoya trade ?

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

true

except for goals per game, assists per game, points per game, and maybe some other stats.

but you're absolutely right.

Reactions: Edgy

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
In his presser MB said he would not mortgage the future for a rental. He said nothing about making a hockey trade. He might trade prospects and picks to fill the holes in the team with players that have term on their contracts. The question is will he be willing to pay what it takes.
do not worry, he will anyway. Just by never fully commiting to winning he will.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
I don't know man, is .82PPG better than .72PPG ? (1st stat that came to mind, didn't look the other ones)

Look, everybody knows you love Danault, and, I really like him too, and think he does great this season with great talent on the wings, like he did 2 years ago when he was playing with Pacioretty and Radulov (because we had no other choices).

But maybe YOU should watch games around the league to understand he's a great middle-6 forward, not a pure top-6 one.

I think the team's been lacking several talented forwards for so long that nowadays, anytime one produces at a decent clip someone goes ape**** and claims he's a star forward.

Kotkaniemi will push him down in the near future, and I hope one of Poehling/Suzuki does as well.

Know why ?

Because having Danault as a 3rd line center would be goddamn luxury. Or even as 2nd line LW, cause he can play there if needed.

I agree with Danault having his rightful place at 3C... what about Poehling on Kotka's LW to protect and dish out the puck? Domi is doing fine at 2C, and I think a long term plan of Kotka 1C Domi 2C Danault 3C is good enough to contend in the early to mid 2020's. Insert the offensive-minded i.e. Drouin, Tatar, Suzuki, Gally or perhaps one of Poehling/Ylonen on the top 2 lines and get the best of the rest for the bottom 6. Future's bright I believe, now is underdog/upsetter time... which could be fun.

Reactions: L4br3cqu3

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I agree with Danault having his rightful place at 3C... what about Poehling on Kotka's LW to protect and dish out the puck? Domi is doing fine at 2C, and I think a long term plan of Kotka 1C Domi 2C Danault 3C is good enough to contend in the early to mid 2020's. Insert the offensive-minded i.e. Drouin, Tatar, Suzuki, Gally or perhaps one of Poehling/Ylonen on the top 2 lines and get the best of the rest for the bottom 6. Future's bright I believe, now is underdog/upsetter time... which could be fun.
Danault is doing great defensively while on pace for over 50 pts, assuming he keeps it up (not his actuall PPG streak but his 50 pts pace) he will become a 5M$ 3rd line C or something...

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Contending and well built teams can tolerate rentals. So which are the Habs? Rebuilding or contending?

I'm not believing it myself and i admit that on paper it doesn't look that good.....but the game is played on the ice.
Habs are not rebuilding, never was and right now, Habs are a top 10 teams in the league (How the hell they did that is still a mystery to me)

Put the Habs in another Division and we're fighting for the 1st place of the division. Sadly, we are in the best division of the league.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Unfortunately, Bergevin has been the author of his own misfortune. His past deeds are still weighing heavily in the minds of many simply because there is much more history of Bergevin's questionable decision-making then there are summers of 2018 type of results.

He was given a fair shot and seems to have had carte blanche from ownership. He hand-picked everyone, even Therrien's assistant coaches. He chose to hire childhood friends over more established, reputable contributors. He's put the house on fire several times but somehow, he's supposed to get credit for trying to put out the fires that he started. Not to mention that his public demeanor has been nothing short of arrogant and condescending.

I think it's fair to say that he would have been fired in most other organizations before this past summer.

He's coming off the first good summer in his whole tenure. No one knows for certain how he did it but we have a good idea as to why. Ownership decided to put on their big boy pants and held him to account. Too bad he didn't have the foresight to do that by himself and replace a long overdue contingent of deadwood, sycophants and incompetent appointments whose contract renewals were rubber stamped over several years and who received raises and/or promotions without being subject to objective and stringent performance reviews.

Sure, he can be "GM of the Year", since they're only counting what he did this season as the award suggests. It's a meaningless title since last year he was co-winner of the "Disaster Artist Award" and the GM he shared that with, was just recently fired.

So pardon some fans for not totally trusting Bergevin. Maybe he learned from his mistakes but he had the benefit of a hell of a lot of rope in doing so. And that's what fans resent -- opportunity after opportunity and his in-your-face arrogance. So many lines thrown at fans via the media, too many to list. Apparently, big trades are not happening anymore, and centers were not supposed to be available and how only he has the ultimate wisdom since there is so much that others who aren't GMs, don't understand.

Go on and win your GM of the Year award, Bergevin. And let's see if you can keep your word this time and if last summer's moves were not some happenstance.

Can't blame some for being skeptical -- instead of labeling them with derogatory terms, they are probably just prudent admirers.

Last edited:

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

In fact Bergevin did say that he would do "hockey trade" all day long in another interview.
Habs are 9-1-2 since he did his presser, i'm sure he didn't expect that.

As for mortgaging the future, i don't think a 2nd or 3rd round pick is mortgaging the future......

Man Purse

Dec 16, 2010
wind river valley
things are clicking right now with the 'often maligned' D

each young LD is gaining confidence because of the continuity in pairings with the RD veteran players

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque

Yeah kinda forgot about Domi (wtf) in that rant, yeah there's that possibility too !

In a couple years, we could finally be akin to Tampa or Winnipeg, whereas the main team will be filled with good-to-great young talent while our prospect depth will still be solid enough to make trades as a 'surplus' position, not as a 'desperate' one.

Future is totally bright.

As long as we don't trade futures for the next 2-3 years, we're not there yet.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal

I think the team's been lacking several talented forwards for so long that nowadays, anytime one produces at a decent clip someone goes ape**** and claims he's a star forward.

Know why ?

true

except for goals per game, assists per game, points per game, and maybe some other stats.

but you're absolutely right.

Danault has 38 even strength points and a GF% of 61.80 while starting only 36.91% of his shifts in the offensive zone.

Hayes has 24 even strength points with a GF% of 50.82 while starting 54.82% of his shifts in the offensive zone.

Philip Danault is the better and more complete player!

Danault faces tougher opposition than Hayes also.

But keep thinking that those couple of points Hayes got while playing on the PP make him the better player.

Reactions: JAPPO

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
I had a big problem with the Subban trade. It was the first trade in a very long time that I really had a hard time shaking off. But after seeing the difference he can make to a team this season, I don’t know how you can’t still call him elite. He turned a joke of a defence around almost by himself.
Not talking about Subban here. Talking about whether or not Weber is an elite defenseman. I'm saying he's a bonafide #1 but lacks the PMD skills required to be considered elite.

Team spirit talking, Weber is the most "captainable guy" you can find on the planet. I explain, you put Howe, Béliveau, Lemieux, Messier and Captain America in a room and they all elect Weber as their captain, lol. We can't deny the influence Weber had on all the other guys. Starting with Price, when Weber returned Price started to stop pucks lookin' easy and stayed calm. And all the rest followed, the entire team got better.
I don't know, Assistant Captain America just doesn't have the same feel to it lol.

But yes, there's no denying he's a stabilizing presence that improves our lackluster d immensely but that's what a true #1 dman is supposed to do. All I'm saying is if he could skate and move the puck out of our zone, send out guys on a breakaway from our zone he'd be considered elite, but he doesn't carry the puck.

To be considered elite you need to meet 3 conditions in my opinion (to which I'm entitled and you're welcome to disagree with in a civil mature manner) you need the skills of a stay at home D, and offensive D and a puck moving d to be considered elite. If you check off all 3, you're elite. If you don't, then you're not. Not being elite doesn't mean you're not a stud #1, I just reserve the term elite to a higher standard.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
So you rather sell prospects because we have an okay season? and waste a 1st pick + lekhonen for rentals? Yeah no thanks ,
I specifically told you - no rentals. What part don't you get?

That doesn't mean we can't make trades now to help us now. There are players under contract we can go after.

Price is 31 and the way Weber plays he can still play a good 5 years. nothing to rush . this team should aim 2019 UFA and be fully ready in 1-2 years. We are already in playoffs why should we sell for ****ing rentals , dumbest move to make.
In 5 years Weber will be 38. Do you think he'll be as effective then as now?

Why do you want to burn 5 years of developing mid to late round prospects?
I mean yeah trying to get Tavares was the good choice.. but Ufa were bad last summer... The fact he traded Pacio , galchy and armia and took salary mean he was on a ''retool session '' and not in buy mode. Since everyone whined at the end of the last season and that Molson looked mad asf
We've already burned six years of Price. You want to burn another 5?

If you're going to burn five years developing your team then trade Price and Weber and get the return on them. You'll draft higher in the meantime accelerating a rebuild.

Doing nothing though means we continue to go for 8th place, draft mid to late, and we waste the careers of our best players. Why do this?

Last edited:

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Unfortunately, Bergevin has been the author of his own misfortune. His past deeds are still weighing heavily in the minds of many simply because there is much more history of Bergevin's questionable decision-making then there are summers of 2018 type of results.

He was given a fair shot and seems to have had carte blanche from ownership. He hand-picked everyone, even Therrien's assistant coaches. He chose to hire childhood friends over more established, reputable contributors. He's put the house on fire several times but somehow, he's supposed to get credit for trying to put out the fires that he started. Not to mention that his public demeanor has been nothing short of arrogant and condescending.

I think it's fair to say that he would have been fired in most other organizations before this past summer.

He's coming off the first good summer in his whole tenure. No one knows for certain how he did it but we have a good idea as to why. Ownership decided to put on their big boy pants and held him to account. Too bad he didn't have the foresight to do that by himself and replace a long overdue contingent of deadwood, sycophants and incompetent appointments whose contract renewals were rubber stamped over several years and who received raises and/or promotions without being subject to objective performance reviews.

Sure, he can be "GM of the Year", since they're only counting what he did this season as the award suggests. It's a meaningless title since last year he was co-winner of the "Disaster Artist Award" and the GM he shared that with, was just recently fired.

So pardon some fans for not totally trusting Bergevin. Maybe he learned from his mistakes but he had the benefit of a hell of a lot of rope in doing so. And that's what fans resent -- opportunity after opportunity and his in-your-face arrogance. So many lines thrown at fans via the media, too many to list. Apparently, big trades are not happening anymore, and centers were not supposed to be available and how only he has the ultimate wisdom since there is so much that others who aren't GMs, don't understand.

Go on and win your GM of the Year award, Bergevin. And let's see if you can keep your word this time and if last summer's moves were not some happenstance.

Can't blame some for being skeptical -- instead of labeling them with derogatory terms, they are probably just prudent admirers.

Well said.

For me, still not his biggest fan based on his tenure as a whole with the team, but yes, he has had a great post-March 2018 (I selected this time as it was post TDL where we got a good package for Pleks).

That said, his success was due to his massive failure last season. So sure, he recovered but he recovered from self inflicted wounds.

However, I will admit he deserves credit regardless of the road he used to get there.

Anyways, as crazy as it sounds, what he’s done since March is easy. When you are near the bottom of the heap, you can only go up. The hard part is now... making us go from good to great, and to keep us there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad