Let's give credit where credit is due, this team is good.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
So the right move is to lose in the first round (assuming we make the playoffs) and then get a low round pick. Continue to develop those players while wasting Price and Weber.

Sorry, that doesn't make sense to me.

Again, totally cool if he wants to go the other way. But doing nothing isn't going to do anything for us cup wise.

So you rather sell prospects because we have an okay season? and waste a 1st pick + lekhonen for rentals? Yeah no thanks , Price is 31 and the way Weber plays he can still play a good 5 years. nothing to rush . this team should aim 2019 UFA and be fully ready in 1-2 years. We are already in playoffs why should we sell for f***ing rentals , dumbest move to make.
Bergevin wanted to add UFA forwards, so yeah huh... NO.

I mean yeah trying to get Tavares was the good choice.. but Ufa were bad last summer... The fact he traded Pacio , galchy and armia and took salary mean he was on a ''retool session '' and not in buy mode. Since everyone whined at the end of the last season and that Molson looked mad asf

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
They can't really control their destiny, they're just going to be the best they can be and whatever happens, happens.

However, if I understand what you're saying is don't trade any major assets now, stay the course and try to replicate last summer even if we won't have as high a draft pick. At least there will be a ton of picks, if MB manages to hold on to them all, that is.

Unless its a 25year olds/less LHD coming back im not giving any good prospect or 1st round we have. This is not the season to go ''all in'' Habs have alot of money to get a good Ufa and make a trade to get a LHD this summer. The cost of trades during the summer cost less and UFAs u dont need to waste assets.

Imagine if Bergevin trade for Panarin at the deadline for a 1st + Poehling and maybe a 3rd pick and hes not resigning and we lose 1st round , absolutely awful.

TLDR : Lets see where habs finish this season and whos useful and not. let the youngster in the lineup get some experience then find a solution during draftday or ufa for the missing pieces.

But knowning most fans here its always win mode and always the quit exit but heh it was fun !!!! This team been more than average for the last 20 years.

Reactions: Acadien86 and bsl

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Unless its a 25year olds/less LHD coming back im not giving any good prospect or 1st round we have. This is not the season to go ''all in'' Habs have alot of money to get a good Ufa and make a trade to get a LHD this summer. The cost of trades during the summer cost less and UFAs u dont need to waste assets.

Imagine if Bergevin trade for Panarin at the deadline for a 1st + Poehling and maybe a 3rd pick and hes not resigning and we lose 1st round , absolutely awful.

TLDR : Lets see where habs finish this season and whos useful and not. let the youngster in the lineup get some experience then find a solution during draftday or ufa for the missing pieces.

On the totem pole of probabilities, I would say the Habs have much greater chances of a successful draft and another Armia trade than they do signing UFAs. They've never succeeded in attracting an elite-level UFA despite many years of trying.

Panarin's move of switching for the same agent as Bobrovsky suggests that they may be trying to sign with their next team as a duo. I think if we're lucky we'll land a B-level UFA, or whoever is left that is still useful and probably desperate. If that's what it is, then we'll just have to work that much harder on the other fronts and be especially aggressive but wise in using that cap room.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
But we got Carey Price....that's a top end talent that other don't have. Pens and Washington didn't/don't have top end talents in front of the net, should they rebuild? Columbus is about to lose theirs and Flames goaltending is meh at best.....but they still are going for it.

Rebuild doesn't mean you'll get top end talents at forwards either but it will make you lose the only top end talents we already have in Price, that's a guaranteed.

One thing is starting getting under my skin (not you cause you basically are saying the same thing i'm saying since the start of the season).....but right now, there's no rebuild, there never was a rebuild and whatever that was (rebuild, re-tool) it's over, done, finito. You don't make a rebuild with a top 10 teams or with bottom round picks, you don't make a rebuild or sell assets when 22 others teams in the league can't be better than you and you can't rebuild while having Carey Price in net.

That idea was promoted by the medias and the medias only (another thing they got wrong).
That dream is over....i'm not really agreeing with it, but that's still the reality.
This is totally premature.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Exactly, i always said do one or the other but not both at the same time. Commit to one idea and go all in with it. I know you were in the same boat (very few agreed with me on that one so i remember :laugh:)

But right now, the idea of rebuilding doesn't exist anymore. So right now there's only one way to go.....and Bergevin better put his big boys pants and finally put some "futures" on the table and go all-in and get what this team needs (not talking rentals of course)

He got the assets to do it....not sure he got the brains or the balls.
Contending and well built teams can tolerate rentals. So which are the Habs? Rebuilding or contending?

Last edited:

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
He doesn't watch the habs there is no way he can.

I have never read a more out to lunch opinion.
I think LG is mostly correct in his assessments, and consistent, as he has been pretty much over the ten years I have been reading him. You guys blow around like sheets in the wind. One hot streak and Habs are all done rebuilding. LOL.

Reactions: nhlfan9191

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
A team calling offering two 2nd rounders for Danault would get laughed at right now. He already produced more than Eller, is a more complete player, more consistent, and most importantly he's getting better and better.
He's totally replaceable. I would take 2 seconds for him tomorrow. If you want to talk about a REAL great no 2 C, look at Kevin Hayes. I would KILL for Habs to get him. He blows Danault out of the water. You guys need to watch more games around the league.

Last edited:

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
I would kind of agree. It was either trade Weber and Price or take a last run with them for the next 4-5 years at best.
I don't think it's this year we need to do that kind of move, but it's this year/summer that Bergevin need to make somekind of big moves for long term solution.

We have a wave of good prospect at pretty much every position coming up, we have tons of money with nothing to do with it. We have some players on cheap contracts for a couple of years before getting big raises. The clock is ticking on all of that.

It's not when Price will be 35-36 and Weber hitting 37-38....and Gallagher is either paid 6,5M or not here and guys like Danault, Kotkaniemi, Domi are all being paid much more than they are now that Bergevin will finally start thinking about going for it.
This team is nowhere near contending. There is no three year window right now. I hold to what I have been saying. Habs should strip it right down and build to contend in 2 to 3 years. I said this 3 years ago and I am saying it now. And I will be proven right.

I think this year is a disaster actually. Exactly what I did not want. I wanted one more really shit year. And a true elite player at the draft. KK is not that BTW. Timmins and his team are awful past pick ten. Do not want them picking in the 20's. Though maybe they'll get lucky this year. They're certainly due.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
On the totem pole of probabilities, I would say the Habs have much greater chances of a successful draft and another Armia trade than they do signing UFAs. They've never succeeded in attracting an elite-level UFA despite many years of trying.

Panarin's move of switching for the same agent as Bobrovsky suggests that they may be trying to sign with their next team as a duo. I think if we're lucky we'll land a B-level UFA, or whoever is left that is still useful and probably desperate. If that's what it is, then we'll just have to work that much harder on the other fronts and be especially aggressive but wise in using that cap room.

Then let's just wait for our prospects to join the team , maybe we will get an UFA by luck xd

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I find it curious that people think Weber can't move the puck. He's the most intelligent passer on our defense corps.
sure, on par with Petry... and then you have Kulak lol, Mete lol, Benn lol, Reilly lol, Alzner lol, Ouellet lol, Slomo lol...

the guy can be the most at a lot of things with this great D corpse :nod:

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Team spirit talking, Weber is the most "captainable guy" you can find on the planet. I explain, you put Howe, Béliveau, Lemieux, Messier and Captain America in a room and they all elect Weber as their captain, lol. We can't deny the influence Weber had on all the other guys. Starting with Price, when Weber returned Price started to stop pucks lookin' easy and stayed calm. And all the rest followed, the entire team got better.

I see you have very vast farms to fertilize. And I have to assume you buy in bulk cuz you're layin it thick.

Last edited:

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I find it curious that people think Weber can't move the puck. He's the most intelligent passer on our defense corps.

Cuz that's the new standard? lol

Let's ignore 15+ years of Markov or Subban.

Hell, even Streit and Souray were better at moving the puck (one way or another).

Weber is a #1 D, but offensive creativity is his achille's heal. He'll make a strong, high percentage and safe, first pass. To create offense and drive the play, you need more than that. That's what Weber is missing.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Nope, I'm on record as saying we still need EITHER two high calibre left defencemen OR maybe one plus a big scorer in order to be a contender.
So, what you're saying is, the Habs record does not reflect the team they have.

I mean, they're 8th in the whole league, 2 points only from the top 5, ahead of cup winners Caps, ahead of cup finalist Knights, and you think they need not one but two BIG pieces ?

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
So, what you're saying is, the Habs record does not reflect the team they have.

I mean, they're 8th in the whole league, 2 points only from the top 5, ahead of cup winners Caps, ahead of cup finalist Knights, and you think they need not one but two BIG pieces ?

They are currently 8th but could fall as low as 12th after the next three games, and as I wrote in another message, after the three games, we will have had a neutral schedule up to now versus rest of season. The team also lacks playoff experience.

I think the LD could be exposed in this year's playoffs, when games are tighter and heavier, and we could use a sniper unless we dominate from the back like Nashville.

Maybe Suzuki ends up being a 30 goal scorer and we can live without acquiring a sniper, but he is not in the NHL this year, and we would need good fortune for him to fill that role in the current window (through June 2021).

If we win two of the next three games without appearing super lucky, I might revise my estimate of the current competitiveness of the club.

Reactions: Runner77

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
They are currently 8th but could fall as low as 12th after the next three games, and as I wrote in another message, after the three games, we will have had a neutral schedule up to now versus rest of season. The team also lacks playoff experience.

I think the LD could be exposed in this year's playoffs, when games are tighter and heavier, and we could use a sniper unless we dominate from the back like Nashville.

Maybe Suzuki ends up being a 30 goal scorer and we can live without acquiring a sniper, but he is not in the NHL this year, and we would need good fortune for him to fill that role in the current window (through June 2021).

If we win two of the next three games without appearing super lucky, I might revise my estimate of the current competitiveness of the club.
So you don't think the Habs record reflects the quality of the team.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

I consider Cammalleri, Erik Cole, and Gionta very good signings. If we can get a player as good as them I'll be extatic. A good playoff run will go a long way to attracting high quality free agents.

Also, pending UFAs usually want to stay here - ex: Kovalev, Petry, Wiseniewski, etc... wiseniewski, an American, was taking French lessons and loved living and playing in Montreal. He was hurt when management didn't eant to re-sign him. He said he felt used.

We're now a team on the up and up. I think we'll be able to get some players. Maybe not Panarin. But last summer Skinner, Perron, and Hoffman were there for the taking. We'll see who's available this summer and at the deadline at reasonable prices, as Petry was in the past. Two options I see are Marcus Johansson and Derrick Brassard.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
So you don't think the Habs record reflects the quality of the team.
After the next three games, our schedule will be neutral, and then we can see where we stand. Are we 7th, 12th or somewhere in between?

I do think that there is a normal and understandable lack of playoff experience on the club. This may make it harder for their first year as a group in the playoffs. But overall, I believe that the team is just behind the contending group, especially if they lose the next three games.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
After the next three games, our schedule will be neutral, and then we can see where we stand. Are we 7th, 12th or somewhere in between?

I do think that there is a normal and understandable lack of playoff experience on the club. This may make it harder for their first year as a group in the playoffs. But overall, I believe that the team is just behind the contending group, especially if they lose the next three games.
sure, and there will be another 3 games, and another, and a 3rd 3 games to be played...

seriously, for all the poor attemps at satire, the weak mocking and al' you can't even commit to that ? you can't even give a straight up awnser about the Habs ? why the f*** are you scared of ? you gonna lose your job or something ? you're going to be arrested ?

are they as good as their record indicate ? yes ? no ? that's it! no-one's gonna get hurt... maybe some egos but even then, we shutdown the laptop/tablet forget about what was being said in here and voila!

rickthegoon

Feb 25, 2012
Is the team good? Still on the fence. But one thing is sure; games are fun to watch, and work ethic is leaps and bounds ahead of last year.
Just by the fact of getting rid of capt. Baboune has transformed this squad.
Managing KK has also been a big +.
Just for these 2 facts, Bergie gets a free pass from Molson.

Reactions: admiralcadillac

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
sure, and there will be another 3 games, and another, and a 3rd 3 games to be played...

seriously, for all the poor attemps at satire, the weak mocking and al' you can't even commit to that ? you can't even give a straight up awnser about the Habs ? why the **** are you scared of ? you gonna lose your job or something ? you're going to be arrested ?

are they as good as their record indicate ? yes ? no ? that's it! no-one's gonna get hurt... maybe some egos but even then, we shutdown the laptop/tablet forget about what was being said in here and voila!

Our record has to be seen in FACTUAL context. We've played 30 games at home versus 25 on the road, and the average record of our opponents to date has been below the mean.

Also, the team collectively lacks playoff experience and so it is likely, if I had to guess, that we need to gain experience before really contending.

If we are lights out the next three games, I could change my mind. I have to admit I thought we would get spanked by the Jets, and instead poured 53 shots at their net.

I need to see more, it's as simple as that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad