Let's give credit where credit is due, this team is good.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
This thread hasn't aged well.

Nope, the problem is our fan base is bipolar. I based my OP mainly on system execution and team play (since Weber has gotten back), I'm not really looking at wins and losses. We're playing amazingly well at ES, the team is playing like a fine-tuned machine.

We're playing smart/efficient hockey. Guys are where they have to be on the ice, you can tell because they play with a rhythm on most nights. When they're on their game plays happen quickly, they don't stop and think about what they need to do on breakouts/transitions (that's the main reason why the team looks fast this year).. which is how you want it to be.

Don't put too much stock into short streaks (good or bad), even when we lose the team looks good most of the time. Be fair and evaluate them on how they're playing. Of course I'm not saying they play great every night, if they did we'd be Tampa. In general, there's more positives than negatives.

The PP looks abysmal tho, that's where creativity kicks in. The team plays well at ES because it allows them to play their structured game, like i said they don't really need to stop and think about what plays to make. You can't do that on the PP. You have to take your most creative players with good puck skills and let them play so they get used to each other. So that's Drouin/Domi/Tatar/Kotkaniemi, you can swap someone with Gallagher in order to have a good net front presence.

Last edited:
Reactions: Habs Icing

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Honestly, the underlying numbers for this team are very good. I've been on the fence in terms of us picking a direction but given how good the underlying numbers are, the fact that we're actually potting goals and Price has been red hot, it really makes sense for us to make some moves before the deadline and give it a shot.

We could wait until the offseason but I think it makes more sense to make the moves now rather than just wasting the year. One good blueliner and a scorer. Add that and we'd be able to surprise people, esp if they help the PP.
Only if they're not rentals.

habergeon

Apr 15, 2015
I'll give credit where it is due.

I think Bergy should't be running a hot dog cart, let alone the most storied franchise in sports, but from June until now he has done a very. very good job. His trades, drafting, personnel moves have all worked out to the better and we are vastly overachieving everyone's expectations (including my own). As much as a healthy Price and Weber have solidified things, he has played as big a role in this season's success as anyone (and that makes me nauseous to write that). It doesn't erase the mess he created all the years prior, but it's enough for me to focus more on things going forward,

He could do this team a huge favor and get top 4 defenseman and another forward piece and see what this team can do in the playoffs. I don't mind B prospects / 2/3 rounders going the other way. Someone is sure to be in love with a prospect we have that we think won't make it (Like Collberg).

I"m hoping this group gets rewarded by the GM filling some holes by Monday, we'll see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad