Let's all eat some crow!

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Well like everyone by February I thought we were down and out, but you wont be able to find a negative post from me that I can eat some crow on because of a management or coaching decision, or even Hammond.

Call me a Homer like Murray, but I really have believed in this group from start, and agreed with the coaching change. I always felt like we've been undervalued on the main boards, and defend us a lot there, so it's great to see us be vindicated after a run that will go into the record books.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I thought Hammond was going to fall back down to earth and show he wasn't a capable starting goaltender at the NHL level, and I thought the sens were going to fall short of the playoffs and a good draft pick by going on this late-season run.

Very glad to be wrong.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
I was wrong:

I wrote them off at the end of January.

I was frustrated that injuries and NTCs prevented us from trading Neil and Phillips at the deadline. I thought we did poorly not sending players away.

I thought Methot wasn't as big a part of the team as he turned out to be to start the year.

I was losing faith in Zibanejad.

I though Hammond was just roster trash.

I though Legwand, Smith, Greening, and Chaisson would be better.

I thought Hoffman would get 30-35 points. MAX.

I thought Lazar would get more points (HE WAS STILL GREAT THOUGH).

I thought Lehner would do what Hammond did.

I was right:

I thought the Sens would finish between 4-10 in the conference at the start of the year.

I thought Stone was great, even when he didn't put up any points. I pimped him hard.

I knew Pageau would force himself onto the roster in the bottom six.

I knew Phillips was done.

I knew Wiericoch was better than Cowen. (I'm not giving up on Cowen)

I am also a huge Condra fan as you can see by my username.

costermonger

sans classe
Nov 4, 2007
Kitchener, Ont
I thought this team looked 100% more spunky after Mac got canned.

But I gotta be honest... when Lehner went down and was replaced by Hammond in that Carolina game, I was like "Ok, they started playing a bit better, but McDavid will look nice in a Sens' jersey. Oh well."

That was when I thought rock bottom. Don't even have 1 half-decent AHL goalie in net, haha.

The coaching change won me over before this streak started, but that was just in time for Lehner's concussion and my second major stinker of a prognostication.

MarkZackKarl

Jun 29, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Sens basically set an NHL record for biggest comeback. I don't think anyone here can say they expected that.

Unbelievable team. knew that Karlsson, Turris, Mac etc. were great and had no concerns with them. Didn't expect Hammond to do much but who did? Knew that once we were on the run we couldn't play Anderson (4 of our 5 worst games were with him in nets) so was at my lowest when he played in late March against Toronto and Florida.

then Hammond returned and we only "lost" the shootout with him, unbelievable!

Stone should win rookie of the year, Karlsson the Norris and the Sens can win the Cup! And I am being serious.

SavageCDN

Mar 19, 2010
Om nom nom

I am up at Mt Tremblant this weekend. I just got back from apres ski and I didn't have to pay for a single beer or burger (I was wearing my Sens jersey). High fives from random people all afternoon. I've never seen this many Sens jerseys here.. usually it's all Habs. This is insane!!

Oh and shout out to the guy serving beer in the village - I owe you one :handclap:

costermonger

sans classe
Nov 4, 2007
Kitchener, Ont
Om nom nom

I am up at Mt Tremblant this weekend. I just got back from apres ski and I didn't have to pay for a single beer or burger (I was wearing my Sens jersey). High fives from random people all afternoon. I've never seen this many Sens jerseys here.. usually it's all Habs. This is insane!!

Oh and shout out to the guy serving beer in the village - I owe you one :handclap:

There have never, ever been as many people rooting for this team. It's awesome.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Can we now all agree that this team does not NEED Neil and Phillips playing for reason x. (Leadership). This team is grown up and can take care of themselves.
We officially did not become Edmonton.

member 248215

I thought Karlsson was given the C too early.
I thought Hammond was going to blow it with those AHL numbers.

More than happy/excited to be wrong on both counts!

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I dono why we should all have to eat crow. We had a 2% chance at the playoffs. We weren't crazy for thinking they wouldn't make it. And it's not as if the team had some master plan playing Hammond.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I thought Bryan Murray didn't know what he was doing.
Just want to say Thank you Bryan, I see now.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I got a lot of crow to eat. Did not think this team could make the playoffs in September and about 2 weeks ago.

I won't say making the playoffs is best for the team tho.

You have GOT to be kidding me with this BS. Why even cheer for this team at all if you can't even fully enjoy this incredible run to the playoffs?

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Who the **** cares about draft picks?

I take this amazing 1st ever in NHL history run over tanking for a better draft pick.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
Never bought into the tank stuff, but I absolutely thought we were done for the season until well into the streak.

I assumed Boston was a good enough team to be about a million times better down the stretch.

Never completely bought into Pageau as a good third line player and figured he would be on the fringe for his whole career, boy was I wrong there.

Assumed the dropoff from replacing Wiercioch with Cowen was there, but no where near as great as it was.

About half way through the streak I figured that Hammond did his job if he could just keep the team in the mix until Andy was healthy enough to take over again for the final push.

I have no problem eating crow. It was the greatest gap ever closed to make it into the playoffs in NHL history, so of course no one could have predicted how it would all play out. I'm just glad we made it in.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
I was wrong about this team being able to compete with such a low payroll, but i always knew that this team had a lot of potential.

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
I pretty much stopped watching when they appeared to be out of the playoffs.. then heard both Anderson and Lehner were injured.. and said, "Good, now they can really tank!"

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
Can we now all agree that this team does not NEED Neil and Phillips playing for reason x. (Leadership). This team is grown up and can take care of themselves.
We officially did not become Edmonton.

I agree we have now turned the page, this is a new chapter in the Sens history.

pt_mck

Jul 1, 2005
Ottawa
I thought they were done when lehner went down and they had to start hammond against the habs

i thought hammond's bubble would burst, it still may

i didn't like mclean from training camp last year

i never thought they'd make the playoffs

General Zodd

May 6, 2013
Toronto
K I was wrong. I thought we were totally ****ed back in February. Really common, no one knew??

Sorry Sens, sorry guys! :cry:

EDIT: I am so ****ing happy right now I could cry again!!! :cry::cry::cry::cry:

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Pretty much everyone thought we were ****ed back in February.

This type of run is extremely rare in the NHL.

Just savior this moment and remember it being that we may never see this type of run happen again.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
You have GOT to be kidding me with this BS. Why even cheer for this team at all if you can't even fully enjoy this incredible run to the playoffs?

Except I did fully enjoy the run. I just don't think it was best for the Sens long term. Next season we'll be back to being a bubble team. Just like the last 7 years.

But I guess being a real fan is about being happy with mediocrity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad