Blue Jays Discussion: Let the post-winter-meeting, pre-spring-training baseball withdrawl commence!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwulf

Dec 7, 2015
25 lbs of muscle is absolutely possible in 3 months on a good stack. But without knowing his BMI it would be impossible to determine how much of that 25 lbs is actually muscle. And then if he's supplementing something like creatine, well he's holding a ton of water weight.

And if he utilized bro science, then he went on a massive bulk(re: fatso binge), and increased his body fat % as he increased lean mass.

Natural growth, 2 lbs of lean mass a month is realistic under optimum conditions.

Considering he believes he added 25 lbs of muscle in one off season, and considering MLB's anti doping policies and protocols, I'd wager Sanchez did a little creatine, and some bro science.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Cola is due for a seismic drop off (dude had the 7th luckiest season of all time per BABIP) and Smoak's inability to hit curveballs and not being a good enough hitter as a 1B.

Even if you think both of those are a problem, Pedro Alvarez is nowhere remotely close to the answer. He's essentially a Smoak clone on offense, except instead of above average defense at first, he's one of the worst ever at the position.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
Would rather have Sanchez as a borderline elite setup man than a middling strarter.

For 2016, at least that is.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Super star Kawasaki is signed with the Cubs

End for an era.

Wish Muni all the best in Chicago. He was frustrating as hell on the field, but you could never question the dude's personality. Just a genuinely hilarious, likable dude.

"I am Japanese. I am Japaneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese!"

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
End for an era.

Wish Muni all the best in Chicago. He was frustrating as hell on the field, but you could never question the dude's personality. Just a genuinely hilarious, likable dude.

"I am Japanese. I am Japaneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese!"

Yeah, it's hard to be too upset about the loss of a replacement-level minor league middle-infielder who was, at best, fifth on the depth chart, but he sure was a lot of fun to have around.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I liked Muni, but towards the end of his tenure, his role was basically reduced to that of a court jester in the clubhouse.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Next year, part of me hopes there is a movement to go full John Scott and vote Kawasaki into the all star game. Tiny ass market in KC managed to nearly get Omar Infante into it, it's certainly doable.

Not to mention there's extra incentive for us as an AL team sabotaging the NL :naughty:

mikebel111*

As much as I am not a fan of Muni. You have to love the guy's character. He isnt a good player at all, but personality wise he was pretty awesome.
good luck in Chicago!

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Next year, part of me hopes there is a movement to go full John Scott and vote Kawasaki into the all star game. Tiny ass market in KC managed to nearly get Omar Infante into it, it's certainly doable.

Not to mention there's extra incentive for us as an AL team sabotaging the NL :naughty:

Not trying to beat up on you but why value irony so much? The John Scott thing was embarrassing. Embarrassing for the league, embarrassing for John Scott's team, even though he can't admit it publicly embarrassing for John Scott. Imagine to have trained all of your life to become a pro hockey player, at some point realizing the only way you'd make it was with your fists and all of the health implications of that, then to have your career mocked by millions?

As for Kawasaki, he's a limited player no doubt but obviously not so bad that another organization isn't going to give him a shot at AAA. I imagine the Cubs are planning on using him in the same way the Jays did as an injury replacement guy with a great attitude about that role.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Not trying to beat up on you but why value irony so much? The John Scott thing was embarrassing. Embarrassing for the league, embarrassing for John Scott's team, even though he can't admit it publicly embarrassing for John Scott. Imagine to have trained all of your life to become a pro hockey player, at some point realizing the only way you'd make it was with your fists and all of the health implications of that, then to have your career mocked by millions?

As for Kawasaki, he's a limited player no doubt but obviously not so bad that another organization isn't going to give him a shot at AAA. I imagine the Cubs are planning on using him in the same way the Jays did as an injury replacement guy with a great attitude about that role.

It's less about that and moreso to expose how big a joke it is that the starters for a game that decides home field advantage in the world series is determined by fan voting.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
It's less about that and moreso to expose how big a joke it is that the starters for a game that decides home field advantage in the world series is determined by fan voting.

Well a vote in campaign for marginal players would definitely end MLB's attempt to make their All Star mean something.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/20...r-albert-pujols-carlos-gonzalez-nolan-arenado

Looking at the worst 40-HR seasons in MLB history. It's kind of interesting to see just how "empty" hitting 40 home runs can be when you usually consider that high HR numbers usually belong to guys who are pretty good offensive players overall.

Fun fact: The worst 40-HR season ever based on wRC+ belongs to Tony Batista from his 2000 season with the Jays. He clubbed 41 dingers and was precisely league average overall offensively. He also has the worst 30+ HR season ever based on wRC+ in 2004 with the Expos. he hit 32 HRs and had a wRC+ of 76.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
CZRn7RTUAAAtsej.jpg:large

:laugh:

Still more reliable than Chris Broussard.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/20...r-albert-pujols-carlos-gonzalez-nolan-arenado

Looking at the worst 40-HR seasons in MLB history. It's kind of interesting to see just how "empty" hitting 40 home runs can be when you usually consider that high HR numbers usually belong to guys who are pretty good offensive players overall.

Fun fact: The worst 40-HR season ever based on wRC+ belongs to Tony Batista from his 2000 season with the Jays. He clubbed 41 dingers and was precisely league average overall offensively. He also has the worst 30+ HR season ever based on wRC+ in 2004 with the Expos. he hit 32 HRs and had a wRC+ of 76.

but I thought all we cared about was dingerz, and we only complain about players being below average to average offensively when they're guys who hit for average and not power. Empty power? Is that a thing, I thought it was always empty average we complain about :sarcasm:

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
but I thought all we cared about was dingerz, and we only complain about players being below average to average offensively when they're guys who hit for average and not power. Empty power? Is that a thing, I thought it was always empty average we complain about :sarcasm:

It's also fun to see that 2000 season was an all star year for batista, and not just because the Jays needed a representative. Because that was the year of god-mode Delgado

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

My understanding is that any complaint about any weakness means you hate the player and think he's terrible.

stavs*

Oct 11, 2010
Toronto
25 lbs of muscle is absolutely possible in 3 months on a good stack. But without knowing his BMI it would be impossible to determine how much of that 25 lbs is actually muscle. And then if he's supplementing something like creatine, well he's holding a ton of water weight.

And if he utilized bro science, then he went on a massive bulk(re: fatso binge), and increased his body fat % as he increased lean mass.

Natural growth, 2 lbs of lean mass a month is realistic under optimum conditions.

Considering he believes he added 25 lbs of muscle in one off season, and considering MLB's anti doping policies and protocols, I'd wager Sanchez did a little creatine, and some bro science.

this. If people don't know what a stack is, that probably include test prop as a staple with a few other minor substances. If i was using this as an MLB player in a professional sports league, I probably wouldn't come out and say it. However, given some steroids act very fast (test prop) and can be out of the body relatively quickly, if a player is willing to take a risk and go on a quick 6 week cycle, they can clear a drug test in about 2 weeks if they take something that will flush through their systems relatively quickly. That means they are taking about an 8 week risk. Now we don't know how good the testing is in the MLB, but I would believe its pretty good.

Otherwise considering he did this naturally, you can expect some of that weight to be attributed to added water, or he actually gained a considerble amount of fat along with some muscle and is trolling us all.

I'm willing to bet it's the latter, but I could see some young players that want to make an impact right now take the first option

Last edited:

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
I'd rather he focus on baseball and baseball only.

With fame comes extra curricular stuff that takes you away from the game. Result? Drop off.

See P.K Subban and Eugenie Bouchard as two examples.

P.K is having a down year after being in the media for his work outside of hockey, and Eugenie Bouchard, it is rumored, got too caught up in the early fame as well.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I'd rather he focus on baseball and baseball only.

With fame comes extra curricular stuff that takes you away from the game. Result? Drop off.

See P.K Subban and Eugenie Bouchard as two examples.

P.K is having a down year after being in the media for his work outside of hockey, and Eugenie Bouchard, it is rumored, got too caught up in the early fame as well.

So if he somehow sees a drop off in performance after winning the MVP award, you'll contribute that to a cameo role in a television series?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad