Blue Jays Discussion: Let the post-winter-meeting, pre-spring-training baseball withdrawl commence!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
I'd rather he focus on baseball and baseball only.

With fame comes extra curricular stuff that takes you away from the game. Result? Drop off.

See P.K Subban and Eugenie Bouchard as two examples.

P.K is having a down year after being in the media for his work outside of hockey, and Eugenie Bouchard, it is rumored, got too caught up in the early fame as well.

What about the many more examples of superstars who haven't had drop offs despite their profiles rising?

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
I'd rather he focus on baseball and baseball only.

With fame comes extra curricular stuff that takes you away from the game. Result? Drop off.

See P.K Subban and Eugenie Bouchard as two examples.

P.K is having a down year after being in the media for his work outside of hockey, and Eugenie Bouchard, it is rumored, got too caught up in the early fame as well.

Agreed completely. Initially, I was skeptical of your theory, but then when you provided your two examples. I was sold.

I'd like to contribute. Some other athletes who's performances dropped off due to extracurricular activities:

- Michael Jordan (only won 3 more championships after Space Jam..the bum)
- Shaq (Shaq fu? Blue Chips? Kazaam? His career dropped off after those things!!!)
- Peyton Manning
- Brett Favre (there's something about Mary in '98? He barely threw for any yards after that)
- Terrell Owens (any given Sunday in '99...completely fell off after that)
- LeBron James
- Kevin Durant
- Roger Clemons

Last edited by a moderator:

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Also, I believe Cam Neely suffered his career-ending leg injuries on the set of Dumb and Dumber.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
So the NL might be adopting the DH in 2017 according to the MLB head office. If that's the case, the bidding for Jose and Edwin might go through the roof if they test the market. We should lock them both up asap.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
CZRn7RTUAAAtsej.jpg:large

:laugh:

Still more reliable than Chris Broussard.

Every team makes an account and eagerly awaits to see who he swipes right on.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
It's just DK's preference, that's all. Just be glad he's not shouting the opinion from the rooftops like alot of people with unconventional thought processes do. I get it, but there are just as many people that do it and go on to have more success.

As for the DH. Good to see the NL teams have finally come around. Watching pitchers hit is about as good for the sport as hitters pitching.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Based on today - what's going to be our line up

Would be interesting to see

- who is going to lead off
- Is Sanchez going to start?
- Starting pitching rotation
- Who is going to be a closer
- What's going to be our bench (Pinch Hitters / Runner)
- Long relief?
- Setup

or are we stilling waiting for a move or two?

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
By mid-season, barring major changes or catastrophic injury:

1. Travis
2. Donaldson
3. Bautista
4. Encarnacion
5. Tulowitzki
6. Saunders
7. Martin
8. Smoaker
9. Pillar

C) Thole
1B) Colabello
IF) Goins
OF) Lake

SP) Stroman
SP) Happ
SP) Estrada
SP) Dickey
SP) Hutch
LR) Chavez
MR) Loup
MR) Delabar
SU) Sanchez
SU) Cecil
SU) Osuna
CL) Storen

Crazy Friday positive prediction; one of the following happens:
- Loup goes full Britton
- Hutch goes full Arrieta
- Pillar goes full Pollock

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Stephen Brunt's annual offseason special highlighting a bluejay player was an interesting one this year. Apparently the Osuna family house they stayed around was a short drive from where El Chapo was apprehended. Woke up to choppers and police moving in on him. It's a shady town to say the least. They had to have armed guards follow the shoot.

CYO6-AdUoAA8tQz.jpg

Last edited:

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto

1. Travis
2. Donaldson
3. Bautista
4. Encarnacion
5. Tulowitzki
6. Saunders
7. Martin
8. Smoaker
9. Pillar

C) Thole
1B) Colabello
IF) Goins
OF) Lake

SP) Stroman
SP) Happ
SP) Estrada
SP) Dickey
SP) Hutch
LR) Chavez
MR) Loup
MR) Delabar
SU) Sanchez
SU) Cecil
SU) Osuna
CL) Storen

- Loup goes full Britton

I should have added since Travis is not available for couple of months? who is your leadoff bat and if Sanchez is going to start the season as a starter?

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Stephen Brunt's annual offseason special highlighting a bluejay player was an interesting one this year. Apparently the Osuna family house they stayed around was a short drive from where El Chapo was apprehended. Woke up to choppers and police moving in on him. It's a shady town to say the least. They had to have armed guards follow the shoot.

CYO6-AdUoAA8tQz.jpg

Not surprising. His hometown is a little outside of Guasave which is Los Mazatlecos territory now. Checkpoints are big things there and if you say you're with Chapo/Mayo (Sinaloan cartel), you're done.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Not surprising. His hometown is a little outside of Guasave which is Los Mazatlecos territory now. Checkpoints are big things there and if you say you're with Chapo/Mayo (Sinaloan cartel), you're done.

It's crazy indeed. Those groups among others are known for their kidnappings. I'm guessing as soon as Osuna gets that first arbitration raise he's moving the family to canada unless they're tied emotionally to their home.

Tulo leadoff, Goins starts, Barney on bench.

Do we have an ETA on Travis' return?

I'd consider Donaldson lead off. Tulo seems to be a bit of a throwback. While his numbers were better leading off than in the middle of the order, if the guy is simply happier doing the latter, then hey whatever. I don't think the order will matter all that much.

Last edited:

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
I should have added since Travis is not available for couple of months? who is your leadoff bat and if Sanchez is going to start the season as a starter?

Ref to what Eyedea said.

As for A-Aron, if he pitches well in the spring, he'll get a shot at the #5. He's always been a slow starter though, so I anticipate he'll underwhelm in ST. From then, the real question is whether he is the starting in Triple-A or in the bullpen setting up for the first month.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
It's crazy indeed. Those groups among others are known for their kidnappings. I'm guessing as soon as Osuna gets that first arbitration raise he's moving the family to canada unless they're tried emotionally to their home.

Do we have an ETA on Travis' return?

I'd consider Donaldson lead off. Tulo seems to be a bit of a throwback. While his numbers were better leading off than in the middle of the order, if the guy is simply happier doing the latter, then hey whatever. I don't think the order will matter all that much.

Travis should be coming back around May, maybe early June. Tulo seems like the best bet due to his OBP skills, though Saunders could be a sleeper for the role.

stavs*

Oct 11, 2010
Toronto

the whole country is shady as hell. When I was there on vacation this summer, i was talking to a guy who sells drugs to support his poor family. He told me some very disturbing stories regarding the cartel and the police. Pretty much all the high ranking police officials are paid very well by the cartel and if you disturb the cartel in anyway, you're either dead or framed and thrown in jail by the police.

Mexico is a beautiful country with incredible scenery and wilderness but its filled with corruption, crime and the most savage gangsters in the world.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

1. Travis
2. Donaldson
3. Bautista
4. Encarnacion
5. Tulowitzki
6. Saunders
7. Martin
8. Smoaker
9. Pillar

C) Thole
1B) Colabello
IF) Goins
OF) Lake

SP) Stroman
SP) Happ
SP) Estrada
SP) Dickey
SP) Hutch
LR) Chavez
MR) Loup
MR) Delabar
SU) Sanchez
SU) Cecil
SU) Osuna
CL) Storen

- Loup goes full Britton

So... Pompey. Traded or in AAA getting full-time starts?

For the most part I agree with your lineup and assessments. Though I'm more fluid about the storen/Osuna role assignments. Because chances are storen walks at years end, so I'm less concerned about alienating him by making him the setup guy than I would be Osuna, who we hope is around for the long term (even if he is going 5o drag his feet and want to stay in the pen. )

TheOtherSide

Sep 8, 2008
Ontario
So... Pompey. Traded or in AAA getting full-time starts?

For the most part I agree with your lineup and assessments. Though I'm more fluid about the storen/Osuna role assignments. Because chances are storen walks at years end, so I'm less concerned about alienating him by making him the setup guy than I would be Osuna, who we hope is around for the long term (even if he is going 5o drag his feet and want to stay in the pen. )

Ya...if we just hand the job to Storen we would essentially be doing to Osuna what Washington did to Storen which made him want out of there.

It's a bit of a tricky situation, but I still think Storen will and probably should get the closer role.

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com
Tulo leadoff, Goins starts, Barney on bench.

Theoretically, Tulo leading off could work. But baseball players are notorious for their routines, and why mess with a guy who's been hitting in the middle order for his entire career? Especially with the production that he's done it with?

Putting Tulowitzki at leadoff would be a dumb decision on many levels. You might get better production than some other options, but you need to put the guy in a position to succeed as his peak is a ******** higher than anybody on the roster not named Donaldson/EE/Bats.

Our best hitter after Tulo/DD/Bats/EE/Martin should lead off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad