Value of: Leon Draisaitl

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019
So when given the information that a guy will score 107 points in 66 games and have a -7, your brain decides to focus on the +/-?

Weird man. Doesn’t make any sense.

In a way yes. I see a player with the offensive talent of a juggernaught but lacking in defense. Could be a team thing but I would think with about 110 points you would have to be at least even or highly in the + value.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
He came up 3rd overall in our assets polls - which are flawed in method but still give accurate tiers.
Most Valuable Assets in the NHL - #21-30

This would put him on a tier with either McDavid and Mackinnon, or Dahlin, Eichel, Matthews depending on how you look at it. Right now, it's definitely looking more like the former.

Value for players like this enters the Eric Lindros realm. So imagine a package that includes an A prospects, multiple top of the lineup type players, multiple 1st rounds picks...this deal also included cash, but in today's world, that would probably be cap relief and more prospects/ELC players.

I'd imagine something like P. Kane, Dach, Saad, 2020 1st, 2021 1st, Lehner for Drai and Neal.

HenrikW

Feb 21, 2018
In a way yes. I see a player with the offensive talent of a juggernaught but lacking in defense. Could be a team thing but I would think with about 110 points you would have to be at least even or highly in the + value.

So lacking in defense that he's the goto guy for 3v5 PK on the team with the 2nd best PK in the league?

You sir, should do us all a favor and stop speaking out about players/teams you don't watch on a regular basis.

+/- isn't worth a damn.

Last edited:

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Matthews couldn't carry Draisaitls jock. :laugh:

A lot of positive things to say about Drai, not sure why Edmonton fans need to feed the trolls. That poster isn't even active on the team board...

You would think Edmonton fans, of all people on this forum, would recognize that a 22 year old isn't done developing. Compare their 22 year old seasons, no reason to be so offended by comparisons. Anyone comparing them today (with the 2 year age gap) isn't being realistic, obviously.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Have you watched Quinn Hughes play? We’d be dumb to trade that type of potential for anyone. The value is ok, but why would I upgrade Horvat at the cost of Hughes? It’s counter productive because we have Pettersson and Horvat is a perfect second line centre for this team who put up 62 last year and is on pace for 66 this year; it’s redundant; and would make the Oilers the second best team in the west imo. Why exactly would we help them out while downgrading our team? Not interested. At all.

Lol... we are going to trade an elite scoring, two-way beast of a centerman for a two-way beast of a centerman, who offers, generously about 50% of the offense. And we do that for the privilege of swapping an elite skating, tough-as-nails D capable of 40 points for a 5'10, 170 pound offensive defenseman capable of 65 points? I don't care how elite that offense is, he's still a midget.

Why?

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Not suggesting he should be traded. Nor do I think he will. But this is a trade board. So..

What would Edmonton want in return?

Just to answer the question honestly. The only type of player I would even consider trading Drai for would be a <25 year old #1++ Dman capable of 30 mins a night and a perennial Norris contender, who's signed to a contract less than 9M for at least 3+ more years.

Like a young Roman Josi or Victor Hedman. Provorov, Ekblad, Chabot... for varied reasons, I don't know that they would do it for me.

Given no such player* has emerged from the current generation, I make no trade.

*... I suppose Jones would meet the description, still his contract duration would hurt the viability of any serious discussion

Last edited:

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Initial offer would be Gallagher + Domi + Caufield (our best prospect) + either 2020 1st or 2021 1st + anything they'd want but Suzuki and Kotkaniemi.
Would be open to negotiate.

Habs got the best player in the deal by far.
Edmonton got a kick ass prospect, likely a good pick, a 2nd line center (so they can push back RNH on 3rd line) and a first line W.
Or, they can go on a different road, and put a Kassian - Domi - Gallagher line and watch the World burn.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Initial offer would be Gallagher + Domi + Caufield (our best prospect) + either 2020 1st or 2021 1st + anything they'd want but Suzuki and Kotkaniemi.

Edmonton got a kick ass prospect, likely a good pick, a 2nd line center (so they can push back RNH on 3rd line) and a first line W.
Or, they can go on a different road, and put a Kassian - Domi - Gallagher line and watch the World burn.

You are keeping guys off the table for Draisaitl? Get real.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014

there are maybe three/four guys in the NHL that would be off the table for Draisaitl and one of them is already an Oiler

we don't need to push RNH back on any line. He's literally been a second line player his whole career and he thrives there. Our first line W has been filled momentarily and picks do us no good for another 3 years.

We keep Drai

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
there are maybe three/four guys in the NHL that would be off the table for Draisaitl and one of them is already an Oiler

we don't need to push RNH back on any line. He's literally been a second line player his whole career and he thrives there. Our first line W has been filled momentarily and picks do us no good for another 3 years.

We keep Drai

It was an initial offer, but I won't argue with that.

McJesusSaves97

I see the light
May 17, 2015
Cowtown: Behind Enemy Lines

Imagine wanting Draisaitl & insisting on keeping Kotkaniemi...only on HF :popcorn:

Reactions: ivanlwan

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Like I said, I'd be open to negotiate.

Habs have nothing to offer that even moves the needle.

No offence, most teams don’t.

The only guy who could pull Drai in a trade plays on his own team, the other guy plays for Colorado.

Reactions: ivanlwan

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
Lol... we are going to trade an elite scoring, two-way beast of a centerman for a two-way beast of a centerman, who offers, generously about 50% of the offense. And we do that for the privilege of swapping an elite skating, tough-as-nails D capable of 40 points for a 5'10, 170 pound offensive defenseman capable of 65 points? I don't care how elite that offense is, he's still a midget.

Why?

there are so many levels on which this post is wrong

Height doesn’t mean shit in terms of playing ability when it comes to elite players. How tall is Crosby again? The kid is elite offensively as well as defensively - his advanced metrics are out of this world good. Nurse put up 41 points once and will fall short of the mark this year- he isn’t a perennial 40 point player. So far that is his peak season at age 25, 5 years into his playing career. He’s a nice defenceman, don’t get me wrong but Quinn Hughes literally single handedly makes plays and a lot of his assists have been setting up players for tap-ins (a lot of which have been missed). Draisaitl is NOT a two-way beast, btw. I don’t care how good Drai is (which he is a beast, no denying it), I’m not giving up Hughes because there is real potential for Karlsson 2.0 and I would never ever trade Karlsson for a Draisaitl type of player, especially if I have this Karlsson for the rest of his career.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

Height doesn’t mean shit in terms of playing ability when it comes to elite players. How tall is Crosby again? The kid is elite offensively as well as defensively - his advanced metrics are out of this world good. Nurse put up 41 points once and will fall short of the mark this year- he isn’t a perennial 40 point player. So far that is his peak season at age 25, 5 years into his playing career. He’s a nice defenceman, don’t get me wrong but Quinn Hughes literally single handedly makes plays and a lot of his assists have been setting up players for tap-ins (a lot of which have been missed). Draisaitl is NOT a two-way beast, btw. I don’t care how good Drai is (which he is a beast, no denying it), I’m not giving up Hughes because there is real potential for Karlsson 2.0 and I would never ever trade Karlsson for a Draisaitl type of player, especially if I have this Karlsson for the rest of his career.

Then we can absolutely agree to disagree here. So that you can understand that I "get" what Hughes is, I completely agree with the Karlsson comparison. And I would trade Karlsson to get Draisaitl 10 time out of 10 times and walk away giddy. I don't think you would find a professional GM that would disagree with that even with age and contracts aside.

I'm a 5'9 goalie and I have mad, mad respect for smaller guys that can compete. But you give me a 5'10 (Hughes-sized) Karlsson and I'm choosing the 6'2 220 defender with 80% of the same skills every single time... I want to see the puck. If that means an increased rate of "glass and out" ... fine by me, it still gives us a reasonable chance at a line change or at the very least a reset of defensive coverage.

Would I trade Nurse for Hughes? In a heartbeat, if I needed a puck-moving offensive D, but the delta is just nowhere near the delta between Horvat and Draisaitl...

Finally, not for nothing, but:
1) Crosby's not a dman so completely irrelevant to this conversation... and size for D still matters, even in the modern NHL
2) Your arguments against Nurse are a bit disingenuous. He was 23 turning 24 last year when he put up 41 points, you know that is far from a Dman's typical peak. Second he's 3.5 points off a 41 point pace for this year and just turned 25 a month ago... so I would pump the breaks on the implication that it was a 'peak' he's unlikely to repeat in the future. You have zero basis for that.

CaptainSexyPants

Sep 27, 2012

Hughes is amazing and I'd kill for him here, but no freaking way am I trading Draisaitl for a Could Be. Tyler Myers looked like the be-all-end-all his first year too; imagine if Washington had traded Ovechkin for him in 2010?

Maybe Draisaitl + Bouchard/Broberg for Pettersson + Hughes...which'll send Canucks fans into a tizzy to even think about, but less than that and it's really nowhere near worth it. When you factor in Draisaitl's play + age + contract, IMO there needs to be at least 2 elite level assets coming back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad