Value of: Leon Draisaitl

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Just lock this thread up. This went from underwhelming offers and Oilers fans saying not for sale to... another Drai bash thread? Funny how the narrative always changes, guy was getting flack for being on a line with Connor and putting 105 points and now he’s at 107 with 16 games remaining centering his own line for the past 2 or so months and people are now changing the narrative to “well he has Mcdavid on his team.” Sometimes haters need to know when to give up.

Seconded

Reactions: TFHockey

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019
So lacking in defense that he's the goto guy for 3v5 PK on the team with the 2nd best PK in the league?

You sir, should do us all a favor and stop speaking out about players/teams you don't watch on a regular basis.

+/- isn't worth a damn.
Yes I do watch. I just think it's hilarious and I stated so. You just can not deal with it.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
He's 24, got 8.5m x 5 more years, and is probably gonna win the Hart, playing as a center. Not sure there's a more valuable single player out there. Pettersen maybe but he's gonna get a monster 2nd contract. A guy like Eichel who's got another year? Maybe Makar / Quinn Hughes.

Oil4life99

Oct 5, 2017
Well that's ok. You are an edm you are use to being wrong and dissapoimyed nothing new there
Wrong? Definitely. Disappointed? Only when I see responses from fans like you. Try harder bud.

What team do you cheer for?

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019
Wrong? Definitely. Disappointed? Only when I see responses from fans like you. Try harder bud.

What team do you cheer for?
Why I made a legit observation about drais even strength play. You brought zero facts to refute and continue to try and say I am wrong with out evidence. Typical wrong and mostly disappointed fan.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
You're comparing McDavid to Marner? LOL

My post said Matthews and Eichel were much better than Draisaitl at comparative ages, way to miss that part.
It's an annoying narrative that people bring up when they say Drai has McDavid and ignore that Matthews has a good/better overall supporting cast.

Yes, Matthews and Eichel were better than Drai at before age 23 but Drai has taken a massive leap in development since then and it's not guaranteed or even likely Matthews/Eichel make the same jump. Some players take a bit longer to hit their prime. E.g., Scott Gomez was a better player than Datsyuk before age 23, Sam Gagner was a better rookie than Max Pacorietty, etc.

When it's all said and done, it wouldn't be surprising at all if Leon had a better prime & career over Matthews/Eichel

Axa

Apr 7, 2019
Matthews & Pasta has two very good line-mates while Drai had one elite in McDavid and a random lesser line-mate - I find it difficult to understand why having two good line-mates is considered worth so much less than having one very good and one mediocre line-mate.

If a player deserves consideration due to not playing with good quality line-mates it would be Panarin. So if it isn't Drai 'cause of McDavid, then it has to be Panarin. McKinnon has good line-mates too even if they go into a slump now and then (Drai was in quite a slump in December too so does that make McDavid the front-runner 'cause that made Drai a plug ?).

CaptainSexyPants

Sep 27, 2012
LOL

Matthews D+1 - 69 points in 82 games, 0.84ppg
Eichel D+1 - 56 points in 81 games, 0.69ppg
Draisaitl D+1 - 9 points in 37 games, 0.24ppg

Matthews D+2 - 63 points in 62 games, 1.02ppg
Eichel D+2 - 57 points in 61 games, 0.93ppg
Draisaitl D+2 (first year McDavid on team) - 51 points in 72 games, 0.71ppg

Matthews D+3 - 73 points in 68 games, 1.07ppg
Eichel D+3 - 64 points in 67 games, 0.95ppg
Draisaitl D+3 - 77 points in 82 games, 0.94ppg

Matthews D+4 (this year) - 79 points in 67 games, 1.18ppg
Eichel D+4 - 82 points in 77 games, 1.06ppg
Draisaitl D+4 - 70 points in 78 games, 0.90ppg

You were saying?

That's a combined average of...
Drai = 0.88
Eichel (0.90) + Matthews (1.01) = 0.95
Difference = -0.07 PPG for Leon, which makes the others "way better". Glad we've got something tangible to go off of.

Switching back to current performance since that's what this was supposed to be about, here's the past 2 years.
Drai = 1.43
Eichel = 1.11
Matthews = 1.12
Difference = +0.32 PPG for Leon.

So if 0.07 is "way better", what does 0.32 mean to you?

Thanks for coming out though, champ. :thumbu:

That sample was 6 games lmao. Oiler fans were saying that if LD struggled that sample shouldn't be used because its so little. He did well and now it's gospel.
Do you not understand how hockey works? Matthews, Mackinnon and Eichel are the best players on their team, the opponents will put their best defenders on those guys every night. Draisaitl is the second best player on his team. When he centers his own line, opposing coaches will still have to put their best defenders against McDavid.
And finally, comparing players at different points in their career path to prove your player is better is full of bias. I guess that means Darnell Nurse is better than Dahlin

Oh man the excuses :laugh:
Calm down. Matthews is pretty too.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Why I made a legit observation about drais even strength play. You brought zero facts to refute and continue to try and say I am wrong with out evidence. Typical wrong and mostly disappointed fan.

Didn't you quote +/- as your argument? That stat isn't respected by anyone, whether analytic gurus or eyeball fans.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Sounds about right

tenor.gif

Reactions: Not Canada Drai

9GWG9

C=NV
Jul 13, 2007
How good is Draisaitl?

If you had to chose between Him or McDavid right now, there would be a tough decision to make due to his performance this season.

King1s

Jan 27, 2015
Edmonton
Anything less than:

Eichel+Dahlin
Barkov+Ekblad(+)
Matthews+Rielly
MacKinnon+Makar

Would be a no. We are more than happy to keep him.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Just letting you know I book marked your post. I will bump it when Matthews smashes 50 + goals.

:nod:
Are you going to bump it also when Drai smashes 50 goals? Oh, and wins the Art Ross and Hart as well?

You make it too easy Hollywood

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Man. The value would be insane. For the Flyers I think you build something around either Provorov or Couturier depending if they want a D or C more. The problem with building around Provorov is we wouldn't have a next tier C to add like we would with Coots and a D.

Provorov, Konecny, Farabee/Frost, one of the top young prospects and a couple firsts?
Couturier, Sanheim/Myers, Farabee/Frost, one of the top young prospects and a couple firsts?

It would gut whatever team was trying to trade for him. It doesn't happen anymore without the players explicitly wanting out which lowers the value SLIGHTLY.

Fair offers . Not that he is going to be traded but if he was I would take the 2nd offer

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad