Leon Draisaitl the most underrated player in the NHL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
What is the HF hard on for he isnt a 2nd line center so he sucks. Yet the same people will trade half their team for a scoring winger or wanna pay Stone 9-10 mil for 8 years.

If it pleases HF just call him a winger who takes faceoffs. Problem solved.

Why is there not a bunch of Ratanen threads and how he sucks and is only good cause he plays with Mackinnon. No one jeers Point who gets to play with Kucherov.

Crazy idea HF. Star players need at least one other good player to maximize potential. I dont know why people are surprised his stats would drop going from Mcdavid to Lucic, Kassian, Spooner etc
Mcdavid - Drai always catches the heat from stupid kids on HF

But what about:
Mackinnon - Rantanen
Rantanen - Mackinnon
Bergeron - Marchand
Kucherov - Point
Kucherov - Stamkos
Tavares - Marner
Marner - Matthews
Bergeron - Pastrnak
Ovi - Backstrom
Ovi - Kuznetsov
Gaudreau - Monohan
Gaudreau - Lindholm
Kane - Toews
Seguin - Benn
Giroux - Voracek
Petterson - Boeser
Scheifele - Wheeler

Are all those guys in the 2nd column leeches too? Because they all play better when playing with other highly skilled players? Do they only produce because they leech off the players on the left? Or, hear me out here.... Do skilled players benefit from playing with other skilled players? Who woulda f***ing thunk it eh boys?

HF Oilers haters really need to figure their shit out...

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
What is the HF hard on for he isnt a 2nd line center so he sucks. Yet the same people will trade half their team for a scoring winger or wanna pay Stone 9-10 mil for 8 years.

If it pleases HF just call him a winger who takes faceoffs. Problem solved.

Why is there not a bunch of Ratanen threads and how he sucks and is only good cause he plays with Mackinnon. No one jeers Point who gets to play with Kucherov.

Crazy idea HF. Star players need at least one other good player to maximize potential. I dont know why people are surprised his stats would drop going from Mcdavid to Lucic, Kassian, Spooner etc
While I'm a Leaf fan, I agree. For some reason only McD/Drai pairing is talked about. It's as tired as people's obsession with the Leafs salary cap.

Reactions: snipes and 780il

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
He's not good enough to be the best player on a championship team.

Very debatable but I think he can be with the the right cast. his cap hit was kind of absurd at the time he signed but he outgrew it and it looks like a steal now to me.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Based on this thread the only good players in the league are Mcdavid, Crosby and Malkin the odd year. Since no one else can produce elite numbers playing with depth players

Can't include Crosby and Malkin because according to some segments of HF, both are beneficiaries of the other guy being on the team (even if they don't play on the same line -- apparently they're both Jedi and can mind influence things from the bench).

Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I've been following the last page or so of this thread and I basically agree that the guy you're talking to is out to lunch, but what do you mean Malkin put up 60 points last year? He scored nearly 100.
He had 98 last year. 60 as a second line center, 38 on the powerplay with Crosby.

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
It doesn't matter whether it's RNH or Drai centering the second line. Neither one of them can produce consistently.

I know that's the problem. Draisaitl doesn't appear to make much happen or motor his own line. But he is terrific on McDavid's line.

Drai is a ~30 goal, ~82 point 1c

Slow your roll there friend. If Drai was ppg there he'd definitely be centering his own line 24/7

But what about:
Kucherov - Point
Kucherov - Stamkos
Tavares
- Marner
Marner - Matthews
Ovi - Backstrom
Ovi - Kuznetsov

Those are good examples. What would happen if the Bolts had to put Point and Stamkos on the same line for anything to happen? Toronto with Tavares and Matthews? Backstrom had to play with Kuznetsov? Those teams would be weakened considerably. The fact Draisaitl can't be the straw that stirs the drink on his own line is a major factor in the results the Oilers are having.

Can't include Crosby and Malkin, both are beneficiaries of the other guy being on the team (even if they don't play on the same line).

But in the best way possible for the Penguins. Since both guys can properly center their own lines they are much harder to counter as a team and for each. For over half the game opposing teams are always playing on their heels trying to counter those 2 Centres and their lines. Much better than on teams with 1 working line.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
The fact Draisaitl can't be the straw that stirs the drink on his own line is a major factor in the results the Oilers are having.
Or maybe it's the fact that McDavid can't have as much success with any other winger? Why can't it be a symbiotic relationship instead of a parasitic one?

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
I know that's the problem. Draisaitl doesn't appear to make much happen or motor his own line. But he is terrific on McDavid's line.

Slow your roll there friend. If Drai was ppg there he'd definitely be centering his own line 24/7

Those are good examples. What would happen if the Bolts had to put Point and Stamkos on the same line for anything to happen? Toronto with Tavares and Matthews? Backstrom had to play with Kuznetsov? Those teams would be weakened considerably. The fact Draisaitl can't be the straw that stirs the drink on his own line is a major factor in the results the Oilers are having.

But in the best way possible for the Penguins. Since both guys can properly center their own lines they are much harder to counter as a team and for each. For over half the game opposing teams are always playing on their heels trying to counter those 2 Centres and their lines. Much better than on teams with 1 working line.

Do you even know what you are arguing or is your intent to have the most posts in this thread showing just how dumb you really are? The major factor in the results of the Oilers right now is the fact we dont have Marner/Nylander/Kapanen to put with Drai and that's the end of it. Drai doesnt lose points because he doesnt have Marner to regularly play with like Tavares does and yet Drai is out producing precious Tavares by 8 points where he and Mcdavid get the top defenders every game. In a year where individual scoring is way up Tavares is still where hes always been flirting with an 89 point season even though his winger is much better than him and he still can't distance himself or improve upon his own numbers on a team where he is playing with Marner.

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
Or maybe it's the fact that McDavid can't have as much success with any other winger? Why can't it be a symbiotic relationship instead of a parasitic one?

The problem isn't with finding the right dance partner the problem is that it means the Oilers then only have one pair that works the dancefloor. This makes Edmonton much easier to counter and gives them a lot less wins.

Guys I want the Oil to be succesful. I want them to get out of this garbage cycle. Sure a trainwreck is fun to watch at 1st but after more than a decade you just want that shit to end.

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
Drai is out producing precious Tavares by 8 points where he and Mcdavid get the top defenders every game. In a year where individual scoring is way up Tavares is still where hes always been flirting with an 89 point season even though his winger is much better than him and he still can't distance himself or improve upon his own numbers on a team where he is playing with Marner.

Shouldn't you be comparing Drai to Marner in that instance since they're both the Wingers there? Compare Tavares to McDavid sure and I don't think even Tavares' mother will say her son is better than McDavid.

Long story short Draisaitl has the better Centre, McDavid but still LD has near identical stats to Marner(66 in 54 to 65 in 53).

p.s. ad hominem attacks aren't really appreciated. Let's just try to keep it civil here please friend.

OilCanada92

May 1, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
The guy is on pace for like 45 goals and 100 points. I know McDavid is really good but come on. This isn't a 2nd line player.

And even if he was better suited for the wing, it's not like every star winger in the league is an elite center in disguise so I don't know why Draisaitl loses so many points for that.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
Shouldn't you be comparing Drai to Marner in that instance since they're both the Wingers there? Compare Tavares to McDavid sure and I don't think even Tavares' mother will say her son is better than McDavid.

Long story short Draisaitl has the better Centre, McDavid but still LD has near identical stats to Marner(66 in 54 to 65 in 53).

p.s. ad hominem attacks aren't really appreciated. Let's just try to keep it civil here please friend.
Point successfully over your head. Your entire presence in this thread is to shit on Drai and tell all of us how he isn't good because hes not putting these number up centering his own line with bargain bin wingers and yet you don't wanna really discuss the fact that everyone on the list above you has atleast 1 line mate who is a high end player. Why don't you bite your tongue and wait for everyone on that list to produce at that level with borderline NHL wingers before you come in this thread.

Reactions: Hellraising Senator

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
Your entire presence in this thread is to **** on Drai and tell all of us how he isn't good because hes not putting these number up centering his own line and yet you don't wanna really discuss the fact that everyone on the list above you has atleast 1 line mate who is a high end player.

Look here, read this: Leon Draisaitl is a terrific Winger but I am far from convinced he's a #1 Centre. That's my main point. It's simple and I'm trying to be succinct. You want me to expound? or just hold my tongue and let an LD is great love-in to ensue? if that's what you want just keep that on the Oilers' boards.

I think a top end C, like some have claimed LD to be, should be able to make something happen on his own damned line. Right now you have McDavid and Leon crushing it together for what? 35% of a game? But what happens during the other 65%? Edmonton gets demolished. I believe McDavid is a beast and can with even middling Wingers be over a ppg and for the Oilers to be successful needs Leon to take some crappy wingers and eke out a 55-60pts until management can get them better. Until then Edmonton keeps losing and McD and LD devolve into a one-trick pony.

Saltcreek

Nov 23, 2016
Look here, read this: Leon Draisaitl is a terrific Winger but I am far from convinced he's a #1 Centre. That's my main point. It's simple and I'm trying to be succinct. You want me to expound? or just hold my tongue and let an LD is great love-in to ensue? if that's what you want just keep that on the Oilers' boards.

I think a top end C, like some have claimed LD to be, should be able to make something happen on his own damned line. Right now you have McDavid and Leon crushing it together for what? 35% of a game? But what happens during the other 65%? Edmonton gets demolished. I believe McDavid is a beast and can with even middling Wingers be over a ppg and for the Oilers to be successful needs Leon to take some crappy wingers and eke out a 55-60pts until management can get them better. Until then Edmonton keeps losing and McD and LD devolve into a one-trick pony.

There are very few players in the league who could carry of Lucic and another fence post and to expect that out of Draisaitl is a bit much. McDavid could do it, maybe, but McDavid is a player on his own tier. I have very little doubt that Draisaitl could be a #1 center on most teams if he actually had NHL quality wingers to play with. The blame for Draisaitl lower production as the #2C on the Oilers is not his fault but the Oilers management.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Overrated if anything.

I mean great player and all. But like...do it for a full season not as McDavids winger. I'd imagine he would have 15 less points if that were the case.

Reactions: Hollywood North

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016

Lucic-Cave-Marner

That is the quality Drai plays with on his own line

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Overrated if anything.

I mean great player and all. But like...do it for a full season not as McDavids winger. I'd imagine he would have 15 less points if that were the case.
Even if that were true

A 23 year old, big body, 2 way, 85 point center. Signed long term on a contract that day by day is looking like a steal...

And we don't expect him to put up the same crazy numbers on his own line. If he had linemates worth a damn all we'd expect is for him to be around ppg. He doesn't need to hit 45+ goals and 100 points on his own line.

That's an incredible asset to have for any team

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Even if that were true

A 23 year old, big body, 2 way, 85 point center. Signed long term on a contract that day by day is looking like a steal...

That's an incredible asset to have for any team

I'll wait for him to actually be a full time C playing not with McDavid to assume he is a 85 point C.

65-75 ish is what I'll give him.

Looked great in the playoff run, I agree that his deal is good. Not a steal though

Certainly not a bad deal.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton

You think he’s a good winger but yet you say he’s just riding coattails and is lazy.

Uh huh.

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
Lucic-Cave

That is the quality Drai plays with on his own line

Look I hears ya, it's no great shakes but he has to make something happen regardless. Kotkaniemi as a rookie with not really better Wingers and with practically zero pp time is on track for like 40pts. Draisaitl's gotta be able to get at least 50-55 pts even playing with garbage Wingers for Edmonton to be successful and for his own development as a bonafide C.

A 23 year old, big body, 2 way, 85 point center.

You believe he's already an over ppg Centre? In other words a top end #1C? That tag is earned. You don't just show up one day in the NHL and claim that. Drag a subpar trio to decent numbers before you start to puff out your chest and poo poo when people call you out on your outlandish claims.

You think he’s a good winger but yet you say he’s just riding coattails and is lazy.

What I mean is he's a terrific Winger but not an Elite Play Driving Winger i.e. someone like a Kane, a Radulov or a Kessel. Those guys run their lines, they make their C's look good. Draisaitl plays second fiddle to McDavid on that line and does next to jack all on his own line.

That's what I mean.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Just like a ton of overrated/underrated players, he's overrated by some and underrated by others. I do think he's one player that has a massive discrepancy for how fans rate him, but I certainly wouldn't call him underrated.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
No. If he were on the panthers or whatever maybe, but there are enough EDM fans accurately or over-rating him that there is no way he's the most underrated player in the league and he's generally already thought of as a great young, very valuable player by most everyone who isn't currently trying to get a reaction from Oiler fans.

Reactions: 780il

Kamus

Oct 21, 2005

Please tell me who you think are #1 centers in the league?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad