Prospect Info: Leon Draisaitl: Memorial Cup MVP

Status
Not open for further replies.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I'm a huge Yak fan... but I don't think he's really shown flashes of being able to live up to elite #1 status yet.

I think he's just been more reliably consistent in his overall play, especially defensively as he's not making major goofs leading to goals against. He's been productive offensively with McDavid and not so much without him.

Overall I just see him as a better all-around player... I'm not really expecting him to live up to being a #1 pick. At this stage I'd just like him to be a productive top 6 player which I think he can still become.

Rafters

Aug 10, 2003
Medicine Hat
Visit site
I'm a huge Yak fan... but I don't think he's really shown flashes of being able to live up to elite #1 status yet.

I think he's just been more reliably consistent in his overall play, especially defensively as he's not making major goofs leading to goals against. He's been productive offensively with McDavid and not so much without him.

Overall I just see him as a better all-around player... I'm not really expecting him to live up to being a #1 pick. At this stage I'd just like him to be a productive top 6 player which I think he can still become.

Yak has contributed on the 2nd most scoring chances for on the Oilers

FiveFourteenSixOne

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Jan 28, 2006
Edmonton
Whereas the he can't skate crowd these days?

I don't think anyone, having watched him in even a single game this season could make that argument anymore. His first few steps are still sort of clunky looking, but he's noticeably quicker now. His top speed may even be better, which is impressive because he's always been a fast skater. Combine this with the fact that he is an absolute beast down low and on the boards, and has extremely impressive vision and you have one heck of an amazing prospect, on the verge of proving himself an amazing player.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL

Looking back at the 2012 draft it starting to become more apparent that it was a pretty weak class overall, even among the top players. I think Blue Bullet had a thread around here that stated Yakupov is equivalent to a #4/5 pick on an average draft year. All the Oilers can do is pick the best player available that day, and Yakupov was the clear consensus. On the other hand, the 2014 draft is proving to be a good group of players, and Draisaitl has been one of the top performers to date.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I don't think anyone, having watched him in even a single game this season could make that argument anymore. His first few steps are still sort of clunky looking, but he's noticeably quicker now. His top speed may even be better, which is impressive because he's always been a fast skater. Combine this with the fact that he is an absolute beast down low and on the boards, and has extremely impressive vision and you have one heck of an amazing prospect, on the verge of proving himself an amazing player.

I agree that drai has been a good skater, even last year. The difference this year it seems, is that he gets up to that top speed a hella lot faster. Which I can see happening considering the posts referencing his training this summer and how he worked on his leg strength.

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
I am just so happy to see one of our young guys EXCEEDING expectations for once. Thank you Leon, and the things you do.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
I agree that drai has been a good skater, even last year. The difference this year it seems, is that he gets up to that top speed a hella lot faster. Which I can see happening considering the posts referencing his training this summer and how he worked on his leg strength.

I think that also helped him with the puck protection a lot.
Last year I remember him falling down at minimal contact a lot. Not because he was diving, but because he couldn't keep his balance.
This year he seem so solid and seems to just shrug off opposing players while holding on to the puck.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
He's playing above my expectations and of all our young guys I was ready to deal him off near the start of this season. He won't keep up the pace of his scoring but hopefully he can be consistently good all year.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
He's playing above my expectations and of all our young guys I was ready to deal him off near the start of this season. He won't keep up the pace of his scoring but hopefully he can be consistently good all year.

He definitely won't keep up his pace of point production, but if he continues to drive possession and create chances, while playing responsible D, I'll be very happy.

McDeathbyCheerios*

He definitely won't keep up his pace of point production, but if he continues to drive possession and create chances, while playing responsible D, I'll be very happy.
Him and Hall could go on a Benn/Seguin like test thru the league

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014

I'm right here, showing up to eat my due crow. I always saw him as developing into a controlled, Thornton style player if he hit his potential.

Turns out he's a lot faster and becoming more agile than I expected, and it's great to see. Makes for a more dynamic player (and a much better winger - speed/agility were two concerns I had with him being on the wing). I hope he continues to improve. At the moment, the other only star I can remember improving his skating this much this quickly is Tavares. And look how much that helped him!

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Whereas the he can't skate crowd these days?

Did this crowd even exist?

I dont recall 1 poster suggesting that Draisaitl was slow...his top end speed was never an issue.
I did however see some posters (correctly I might add) suggest that Draisaitl's first few steps were slow.

While his first 2 steps still aren't quick IMO he has improved in that regard.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008

Definitely improved.

I think the 3 key things are:

(1) His conditioning is better, he doesn't tail off at the end of a shift - last year no way he could have caught Fowler in OT;

(2) He is moving his feet more now, it was way too easy for him to coast at the junior level.

(3) He's going to the net.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Definitely improved.

I think the 3 key things are:

(1) His conditioning is better, he doesn't tail off at the end of a shift - last year no way he could have caught Fowler in OT;

(2) He is moving his feet more now, it was way too easy for him to coast at the junior level.

(3) He's going to the net.

I agree with all these points.

I have also been impressed with his improved strength retrieving and protecting the puck especially along the boards.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Did this crowd even exist?

I dont recall 1 poster suggesting that Draisaitl was slow...his top end speed was never an issue.
I did however see some posters (correctly I might add) suggest that Draisaitl's first few steps were slow.

Yes it did. But it was th usual few who go chicken little over every Hall turnover non perfect play by Nuge.

SullivanT

May 9, 2015
Edmonton
There was even a couple recently of guys lately when we had that Flames bashing thread when Drai was still in the minors telling me they would take benette any day of the week over Drai. Wonder if that is still their consensus

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
There was even a couple recently of guys lately when we had that Flames bashing thread when Drai was still in the minors telling me they would take benette any day of the week over Drai. Wonder if that is still their consensus

Bennett will be one hell of a player....so will Drai. Before the draft I would have taken Bennett over Drai.

Opinions can change over time when more information becomes available. Lets see how things turn out when the NHL sample size is a lot bigger.

SullivanT

May 9, 2015
Edmonton
Bennett will be one hell of a player....so will Drai. Before the draft I would have taken Bennett over Drai.

Opinions can change over time when more information becomes available. Lets see how things turn out when the NHL sample size is a lot bigger.

Yep fair enough. I actually found the thread all started from Doug McLean saying the oilers are going to regret taking Draisaitl over Sam B.

Why don't sample sizes go both ways on hf it's actually kind of comical. Before Drai is recalled we picked the wrong guy now that he is lighting it up its too small of a sample size. I've always be a huge Dr Drai fan though, think it might be his hair lol
Someone even told me they would laugh at me when they traded him away I doubt that is gonna happen.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Yep fair enough. I actually found the thread all started from Doug McLean saying the oilers are going to regret taking Draisaitl over Sam B.

Why don't sample sizes go both ways on hf it's actually kind of comical. Before Drai is recalled we picked the wrong guy now that he is lighting it up its too small of a sample size. I've always be a huge Dr Drai fan though, think it might be his hair lol
Someone even told me they would laugh at me when they traded him away I doubt that is gonna happen.

The bolded point really doesnt make a lot of sense. The sample size does indeed work both ways.

The sample size for pre-draft involved their Junior careers.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I think LD has the potential to end up as the best forward of the Oilers young guns (sans Eberle)

With his skating improved, its hard not to draw comparisons to Kopitar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad