Prospect Info: Leon Draisaitl: Memorial Cup MVP

Status
Not open for further replies.

SullivanT

May 9, 2015
Edmonton
The bolded point really doesnt make a lot of sense. The sample size does indeed work both ways.

The sample size for pre-draft involved their Junior careers.

I was simply saying that a couple weeks ago people were putting Sam head and shoulder above Leon. Now that Leon is given a chance and is out performing Sam it is considered small sample size. Some saying that Leon is just getting gimme goals and assists (which I didn't know exsisted in the Nhl on nightly bases) I agree we haven't seen enough of either player yet, but right now Leon does appear to be more then anyone could of hoped for.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I was simply saying that a couple weeks ago people were putting Sam head and shoulder above Leon. Now that Leon is given a chance and is out performing Sam it is considered small sample size. Some saying that Leon is just getting gimme goals and assists (which I didn't know exsisted in the Nhl on nightly bases) I agree we haven't seen enough of either player yet, but right now Leon does appear to be more then anyone could of hoped for.

Maybe you misinterpreted their reasoning? :dunno:

Not everybody is daft enough to form an opinion on a player based on a 10 game sample size.

Although there are people that think small sample sizes have merit. I see them post definitive statements on players all the time based on small sample sizes.
I just saw an example in the Talbot thread that illustrated that very thing when it came to Nilsson.

I have seen these posts about Sekera as well.

Pretty ridiculous really.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
Maybe you misinterpreted their reasoning? :dunno:

Not everybody is daft enough to form an opinion on a player based on a 10 game sample size.

Although there are people that think small sample sizes have merit. I see them post definitive statements on players all the time based on small sample sizes.
I just saw an example in the Talbot thread that illustrated that very thing when it came to Nilsson.

I have seen these posts about Sekera as well.

Pretty ridiculous really.

When all you have to go off of is small sample sizes, it's really not ridiculous to try and extrapolate meaning from that data. Unless someone is stating fact from small sample sizes, then ya, that's a bit silly. But if you are attempting to make estimations or guesses, there's nothing wrong with applying small sample sizes to help form those estimates and guesses, if you have nothing better to use.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
When all you have to go off of is small sample sizes, it's really not ridiculous to try and extrapolate meaning from that data. Unless someone is stating fact from small sample sizes, then ya, that's a bit silly. But if you are attempting to make estimations or guesses, there's nothing wrong with applying small sample sizes to help form those estimates and guesses, if you have nothing better to use.

You can have a guess on a player after say 5 games...doesn't mean it has much merit though.
Nothing wrong with a guess...although it makes more sense to use more data if you want the guess to be somewhat accurate.

In any event here is an example of what I am talking about...pulled this from the thread on Talbot.

It was the easiest example to find being that it was posted today.

Nillson by the end of the season will not be considered a valid 1 or 2 here. Not even a guess on my part. His game is severely flawed.

Here we have a definitive statement about a goalie using a 7 game sample size.

SullivanT

May 9, 2015
Edmonton
You think a Hall Mcdavid Draisaitl line could have am impact in a tough situation. I know Mcdavid and Hall didn't click at the begining of the year, but they weren't given much time together and mcdavid had not gotten his feet under him yet. I for one would like to see this on the pp.

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
Yep fair enough. I actually found the thread all started from Doug McLean saying the oilers are going to regret taking Draisaitl over Sam B.

Why don't sample sizes go both ways on hf it's actually kind of comical. Before Drai is recalled we picked the wrong guy now that he is lighting it up its too small of a sample size. I've always be a huge Dr Drai fan though, think it might be his hair lol
Someone even told me they would laugh at me when they traded him away I doubt that is gonna happen.
Don Cherry did the same crap but different players. He said that the Oilers are going to regret drafting Yakupov instead of Ryan "injury-prone" Murray.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Hossa comparison is apt. Big body that can protect the puck and take the puck away.

He's playing EXACTLY like he did in the WHL - the puck always moves into the O-zone because he can steal the puck quickly and move it up with ease.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Looking back at the 2012 draft it starting to become more apparent that it was a pretty weak class overall, even among the top players. I think Blue Bullet had a thread around here that stated Yakupov is equivalent to a #4/5 pick on an average draft year. All the Oilers can do is pick the best player available that day, and Yakupov was the clear consensus. On the other hand, the 2014 draft is proving to be a good group of players, and Draisaitl has been one of the top performers to date.

I think our expectations for Yakupov are unreasonable sometimes, Galchenyuk is producing at about the same clip in Montreal and nobody is calling him a bust. Yakupov isn't perfect but if you ignore the fact he went 1st overall he'd be considered an excellent 22 year old player.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Looking back at Oiler forwards past performances ie RNH rookie season, last half of last year, Eberle in 2012, Hall 2012-13 (aka Beast mode), Draisaitls current play is above all of them

I think hes actually rivalling McDavids play this year

SullivanT

May 9, 2015
Edmonton
Looking back at Oiler forwards past performances ie RNH rookie season, last half of last year, Eberle in 2012, Hall 2012-13 (aka Beast mode), Draisaitls current play is above all of them

I think hes actually rivalling McDavids play this year
I was just gonna say drai=mcdavid so far this year

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Clearly the right pick.. Size, all around game, tonnes of skill. Looks like he's already solid on the dot as well. So happy with his play.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
You can have a guess on a player after say 5 games...doesn't mean it has much merit though.
Nothing wrong with a guess...although it makes more sense to use more data if you want the guess to be somewhat accurate.

In any event here is an example of what I am talking about...pulled this from the thread on Talbot.

It was the easiest example to find being that it was posted today.

Here we have a definitive statement about a goalie using a 7 game sample size.

Agreed completely in regards to the goalie comments, as that was clearly not a guess ...

But if all you have is a small sample size, it's just kinda silly to mock someone for using the only data available to them to create an opinion.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I was just gonna say drai=mcdavid so far this year

Its a controversial statement but ill stand behind it. Been impressive offensively, and also defensively

14 points in 9 games :handclap: I think this is the highest ppg in the NHL

as for the future, Id rank them:

Mcdavid
Draisaitl
Hall
RNH
Eberle
Yak

LD and McDavid only untouchables

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He is playing amazing hockey right now. I know that everyone points to his experience from last season but he looks so much quicker this season. He moves extremely well for a big man.

Party Kane

Nov 7, 2013
Chicago
Wow, Thoroughly impressed by the kid tonight. Maybe I'm crazy but out of games I've seen of McDavid, Draisaitl's been as good if not better than he was before the injury

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Agreed completely in regards to the goalie comments, as that was clearly not a guess ...

But if all you have is a small sample size, it's just kinda silly to mock someone for using the only data available to them to create an opinion.

Again...I see a lot of definitive statements based on very small sample sizes (usually by the same people) just like the one I showed you.

As I mentioned...guessing is fine but it tends to be a much more educated guess if you use more data....its hard to take a guess seriously when the data sample is small.

People are free to make any guess they want but that doesn't necessarily mean it has much credibility.
JMO.

For example...making a guess that Leon is going to maintain a 1.56 ppg pace using a 10 game sample size is silly.

Last edited:

Dallas

Mar 20, 2002
Visit site
This kid's potential is unreal. Top ten forward in the game. The kind of guy that could be one of the few players to challenge McDavid for an Art Ross.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Hossa comparison is apt. Big body that can protect the puck and take the puck away.

He's playing EXACTLY like he did in the WHL - the puck always moves into the O-zone because he can steal the puck quickly and move it up with ease.

I have been extremely impressed with Leon, but I don't see the Hossa comparison at all

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
So happy to see Draisaitl doing well. Been a fan of his since I first saw him in the world juniors 12/13 and advocated heavily for picking him in the 2014 draft. He's an absolute beast and exactly the type of player we need. Glad he's proving all those guys calling him a bust last year on the main boards wrong, not to mention the Strome >>> Drai crowd.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
He will no doubt regress in terms of ppg, but I don't think drastically.

I bet the rest of the year we see a .8 PPG, and even or better +/-. Looks like a brute right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad